when is the best time to book flight?

backtodavis

Keep a close watch on the prices, and when you see a price that looks good to you, book the flight and don't look back. Also, if there's more than one airline to choose from, check them all. In our case, we can choose from Southwest, Delta, American and US Airways. Of course, equally important are the flight times both going to the port and the return flight home.We've noticed that the prices posted early in the morning (usually before 10:00 a.m. EST), especially during the week, are lower than they are later in the day. Weekend prices (Friday - Sunday) tend to be higher.

I book my flights with SW the day they come out with the flights.

Not every one can do that as many do not book their cruises until closer.

But I saved over 500 today because I did that-- today those flights are that much higher.

for other airlines-- book on a tuesday or a Wednesday.

use yapta or kayak to track prices to see if prices come down any

You can rebook a Southwest flight and get credit for any fare reductions (credit has to be used within a year of the original booking date). That's why when flying on Southwest I book as soon as I'm fairly sure of my dates. You can also tweak the dates closer in without a change fee (but you have to pay whatever the fare is at that time).

I book my flights with SW the day they come out with the flights.

Not every one can do that as many do not book their cruises until closer.

But I saved over 500 today because I did that-- today those flights are that much higher.

for other airlines-- book on a tuesday or a Wednesday.

use yapta or kayak to track prices to see if prices come down any

Airfarewatchdog notifies you on price drops.

I was told by someone who works in the industry that the cheaptest cost for flights typical appear 6 to 8 weeks before the date.

Since I am paranoid I'll probably purchase my flights considerably earlier than that for peace of mind.

I was told by someone who works in the industry that the cheaptest cost for flights typical appear 6 to 8 weeks before the date.

Not true. If this was true, everyone would book flights then.

OP - every carrier has their schedules open for your dates but carriers like Southwest and JetBlue.

Book when you see a price you can live with.

I agree about booking with Southwest as soon as they are available. We aren't cruising until October but once the flights opened up thru the end of October, we were online that morning. We got the only non-stop to FLL and it was also the least expensive flight. A couple days later the price went up $80 per person. Two weeks in and it is sold out! Our return flight doesn't open until May and we will be online that morning booking our return as well.

Sometimes it pays to wait but for us, we would rather get it done as soon as we can. Plus, with Southwest, you can't lose. If the flight becomes less expensive, they will give you a credit for the difference.

I agree with booking as soon as the flights come out. However if you are like me and not sure when or even where you are going makes things a bit more difficult.

I wanted to go next March...but the cruise I want to go on doesn't have dates for that particular time.

Then I'm thinking maybe I will just do Vegas/Grand Canyon or Miami/Key West.

IDK

We have never flown with southwest but are considering it for our flight to fort lauerdale. What are the chances that me, my husband, and daughter will be able to sit together on the flight?
Very high, but you might want to plan ahead or spend a little more to improve your chances.

Southwest issues numbered boarding passes in the order that you check in for the flight (A 1 to 60, B 1-60, C 1-60). You can check in online beginning exactly 24 hours before the scheduled departure time. You probably know that passengers board according to the number on their boarding pass and the plane has open seating, so the first people on the plane have their pick of the seats. If you know you will have access to a computer at the start of check in time you should get decent seating priority. There are still complete rows available toward the back after all of the A-group passengers have boarded.

It's easier if you pay $12.50 per passenger (per direction, you can book for one or both directions) for "Early Bird" boarding. Early bird boarding passes are issued before any of the 24-hour check in number, and generally gets us a boarding pass around A-30. If you want seats together on disembarkation day this might be the most convenient way to ensure it but it can add up for a family. I don't know whether parents can pay for Early Bird and bring their kids along without paying extra for the kids.

If your daughter is an infant, families with children 4 years of age and younger board as a group after all the A-group has boarded regardless of the number on your BP.

https://www.southwest.com/html/travel-experience/boarding-your-flight/

Edited by Underwatr

I book when I feel the price is right and also watch the days before and after(except debarkation day) of when I want to fly. For instance I booked my flight to Seattle a month ago. I wanted to fly out the 21st but RT for two from Tampa was almost $1200 so I looked at the 20th and RT for two was $682 so including a hotel and food the extra day I still came out ahead. I checked prices a week later and the price went up to $1200 for the dates I booked so I was happy and I occasionally check and they haven't come close to what I paid. Now I'm not gonna even check because I was comfortable with what I paid and that's all that mattered. I'm not used to paying to fly for a cruise so I'm happy my price was low as this is a major expense I've always overlooked.

My advice is book when you're comfortable with the price and more importantly the times and don't look back. Enjoy your vacation!

Tixchart.com shows trends.

If you're planning on doing a lot of international travel, start being loyal to an airline, which has a hub close to you and is part of an international consortium.

United is our regular -SF hub and part of Star Alliance. Get a United credit card and start using it for all purchases. The mileage points add up quickly.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

• 2 weeks later...

Latest information that I've read is that about 58 days out is the "best" prices.....however when you think it's a deal then book. I start tracking prices the minute the flights are listed (if its that far out). Also go thru the entire "booking process" right to where it allows you to select your seats (usually this is before you have to give payment) This will tell you for sure how many open seats there are on that flight..... if there are a lot of open seats I'd hold off on buying for a while because that price will more than likely go down - airlines would rather sell a seat than have it be empty. Just the same if there are only a few seats left, it will be time to buy if you are stuck with certian times/flights you have to make.

[quote name=Underwatr;4603455

If your daughter is an infant' date=' families with children 4 years of age and younger board as a group after all the A-group has boarded regardless of the number on your BP./

if there are many families the family boarding will not happen. Do not depend on that.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a reservations agent with a major airline for 4 years (and a flight attendant before that)---Unfortunately, there is no "best time" to book for the cheapest flight. It doesn't really matter what day you book on (as I think someone had mentioned a Tuesday or Wednesday)- but it does matter the day you fly on. Tues and Wed are usually the cheapest dates to fly. Always book more than 3 weeks out (which I'm sure everyone does)- but that is the only hard and fast rule about the best time to book as fares go up within 21 days of the flight.

What can save you money is flexibility- check airfares for a day or 2 before and after what you originally want- you could save hundreds- especially if you are buying multiple tickets. Even with the cost of a hotel, you could still be saving a lot.

Also check nearby airports if possible- both originating and departing. Say if you are from NY and you are cruising out of Miami- check airfares to/from LGA/JFK/EWR and Miami/Fort Lauderdale etc.

Good Luck!