A/C Functioning

georgeschris

I really appreciate the responses from other cruisers in my other thread, "First Time Hal". Another question I would like to ask concerns the A/C. I have read on various sites a few times that the A/C did not function consistently on the Westerdam. I know on other ships the A/C did not crank well when docked but once moving it was fine. But the few messages I read seemed to specify that the Westerdam did have A/C issues. Just curious. Looking forward to the cruise. Thanks.

G and C

We have done two Westerdam cruises in the past 20 months (49 days) and had cabin a/c problems on the longer of our two cruises. One other couple with whom we dined also had a similar problem which was that we could not get our cabin below about 78 on hot days and nights. Our other dining mates had no problem. After talking about this issue with some others we concluded that it was hit or miss depending on the cabin. Mentioning the issue to both our Steward and Guest Relations got no results other then the usual, we will have somebody look into it.

The joke at our table was that we thought the cabin thermostats were just on the wall for aesthetics and are not connected to anything.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Hlitner

A number of the A/C issues on the Zuiderdam in the Caribbean last year were solved by keeping the verandah curtains closed when the afternoon sun was streaming into the stateroom. The afternoon sun heats the stateroom furniture much like it would heat your car's dashboard thus making the A/C seem non-existent.

Our A/C worked well on the Westerdam when we departed Seattle July 2014 (outside temp was in the low 90's).

Edited by Crew News

Got off Westerdam on Sept 20th and I can assure you the AC is positively "Frigid" bring a wrap or sweater..... The interior was very chilly and we had to actually warm up our cabin!

No issues at all that we heard about while onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had an inside cabin on the Oosterdam last fall (1025). It was hot when we boarded - We're from Seattle so take "hot" with a grain of salt but definitely in the low 80's. We let front desk know a couple of times and while the initial adjustment didn't make any difference by the second (or perhaps 3rd) call they did get it fixed and our room was much much cooler the rest of the cruise (guessing 68f or so).

We have sailed quite a few times on the Westerdam and never experienced any air conditioning problems.

It would be really helpful if you included the dates that you sailed. Recent sailings are of more concern for a/c issues.

It would be really helpful if you included the dates that you sailed. Recent sailings are of more concern for a/c issues.

IMHO, if you look hard enough you will be able to find some instances of a cabin's failed A/C system on every cruise ship, no matter the cruise line. Stuff happens. I would not want a cabin without a working A/C ... but I see absolutely no way to predict that going forward. I understand your concern about the Westerdam, but to me, past performance has little meaning - except that something broke and then got fixed. FYI - I spent 14 wonderful days on her in 2013 and heard of no problems on our cruise.

:rolleyes: We've had the pleasure of calling our A/C repairman to come to our home twice this Summer. We had no advance warning. Something didn't work - we had it fixed.

Westerdam sailing Sept 13 - 20, 2015

AC and heat worked great in our Veranda Cabin.

Outside of our cabin and about the ship I think they kept the ship too chilly. Bring a sweater or a wrap!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541