100 days

may1021

Every HAL ship that we have been on since the new star program started, all people who are to receive medals and those who already have their medals are invited to an "awards" ceremony before the Mariner brunch.
Since we got our 100 day Copper medallion four years ago we have only been invited to one Awards ceremony. That was on the Prinsendam, and was held in the main Showroom. Maybe on other cruises there have always been too many Copper to invite everyone, and only Silver and up get invited.

Edited by jtl513

Just one revision to KK's post. On some cruises, because HAL has so many returning, loyal cruisers, not all medal holders are invited to the reception where medals are awarded. On our recent Alaska cruise onboard Amsterdam some copper, gold and platinum medal holders were not invited because the seating in the Explorer's Lounge was limited. All were invited to the Mariner's brunch however.

I have my 100 day medal, did not receive the reception invite although my Dear Sis who shared our cabin was being awarded her copper medal. I requested to be allowed to attend and permission was granted.

When I received my 100 day medal on the Volendam in 2006, the reception was held in the Queen's Lounge which accommodated more people. Wonder why that wasn't done on Amsterdam. Doesn't seem fair to ignore longtime loyal cruisers.

Thanks for info. Thought we were going to hit 100 days on our upcoming cruise but it appears that they don't give credit for onboard spending and only sea days so we are going to fall a little short. Next time I guess! Thanks everyone.

Thanks for info. Thought we were going to hit 100 days on our upcoming cruise but it appears that they don't give credit for onboard spending and only sea days so we are going to fall a little short. Next time I guess! Thanks everyone.

Yeah, only actual sea days traveled with Hal count for the metal awards program. The 'star' program counts days, double days for suite and onboard spending. It is kind of confusing. I'm sure it won't be long until you reach that goal.

We have been invited to one on every cruise since we got our 100 day medallions, and even to two when we are on Collector's cruises. As we are now approaching our 300 day level, more reason to be invited!!!

Likewise, although I rarely go. I just got my 300 day on my last cruise. Didn't even go that that.

Just one revision to KK's post. On some cruises, because HAL has so many returning, loyal cruisers, not all medal holders are invited to the reception where medals are awarded. On our recent Alaska cruise onboard Amsterdam some copper, gold and platinum medal holders were not invited because the seating in the Explorer's Lounge was limited. All were invited to the Mariner's brunch however.

I have my 100 day medal, did not receive the reception invite although my Dear Sis who shared our cabin was being awarded her copper medal. I requested to be allowed to attend and permission was granted.

When I received my 100 day medal on the Volendam in 2006, the reception was held in the Queen's Lounge which accommodated more people. Wonder why that wasn't done on Amsterdam. Doesn't seem fair to ignore longtime loyal cruisers.

That wasn't very nice not to invite everyone who held medals to the awards ceremony.

They should have had the award ceremony in the Showroom -- like we used to have years ago.

We have been invited to one on every cruise since we got our 100 day medallions, and even to two when we are on Collector's cruises. As we are now approaching our 300 day level, more reason to be invited!!!

A couple of years ago, HAL was only inviting people on Collector Cruises to the second one. Some people complained to Seattle.

As a result we weren't invited to both on 2 Collector Cruises.

We only go to the ceremonies -- haven't done the brunch in quite a while.

Yeah, only actual sea days traveled with Hal count for the metal awards program. The 'star' program counts days, double days for suite and onboard spending. It is kind of confusing. I'm sure it won't be long until you reach that goal.

We're hitting 100 sea days on our next cruise. We might also make 4 stars - depending on how thirsty we are. Rumor has it that if you manage to get both in one sailing, they give you a pony!

The Mariner Society has told me, in writing,the following:

1. ALL 4 stars and above are invited to the pre-Mariners Brunch (along with those being presented with Medallions).

2. It is up to the Hotel Director to decide whether he has enough room in the Explorers Lounge to accommodate all, or he is supposed to schedule it in a larger venue, like the Showroom or Queen Lounge.

3. This is supposed to be engraved in stone.

Now, as to what I think: the Mariner Society has also said in writing that some events/rewards/whatever can be omitted because of "operational considerations", as decided by the ships.

So........... that translates into situations where good plans can become no plans, if the ship doesn't feel like it, or whatever.

I would LOVE to see more consistency from ship to ship, event to event.

Edited by SilvertoGold

We're hitting 100 sea days on our next cruise. We might also make 4 stars - depending on how thirsty we are. Rumor has it that if you manage to get both in one sailing, they give you a pony!

I've heard that is true,:D from someone

in the know, so here you go, your very

own pony!:)

TN_22-02-2010_3RA.jpg

The Mariner Society has told me, in writing,the following:

1. ALL 4 stars and above are invited to the pre-Mariners Brunch (along with those being presented with Medallions). Not true.

2. It is up to the Hotel Director to decide whether he has enough room in the Explorers Lounge to accommodate all, or he is supposed to schedule it in a larger venue, like the Showroom or Queen Lounge. I'm sure that is true.

3. This is supposed to be engraved in stone. Really, I think that is false.

Now, as to what I think: the Mariner Society has also said in writing that some events/rewards/whatever can be omitted because of "operational considerations", as decided by the ships.

So........... that translates into situations where good plans can become no plans, if the ship doesn't feel like it, or whatever.

I would LOVE to see more consistency from ship to ship, event to event.

I do agree with you about having consistency from ship to ship, event to event. That would be nice, so that some high ranking mariners would not feel slighted when they don't get invited to these things.

I do agree with you about having consistency from ship to ship, event to event. That would be nice, so that some high ranking mariners would not feel slighted when they don't get invited to these things.

Whether these statements are true or false, that is what the Mariner Society SAYS (in writing) is supposed to happen on the ships.

They should know since they are the ones running the Mariner program. I can't quite see the point of the Mariner Society setting up a plan to do these parties and then each ship decides whether or not to do them, whom to invite.....

Whether or not the ships carry out the program results in the lack of consistency (aka: "doing their own thing") and some Mariners feeling slighted, left out, unimportant, etc.

I've talked to a few higher Mariners who definitely were unhappy with not getting invited to these parties. "Flabbergasted" is a better word!

Edited by SilvertoGold

1. ALL 4 stars and above are invited to the pre-Mariners Brunch (along with those being presented with Medallions).

Friends and I recently went from the Volendam, where we were first and second as far as Mariner Days goes, to the Amsterdam. On that cruise I was well down the list, and my friend (well past the 4* level) wasn't invited to the reception. Not even close.

It's really a matter of how many people can be accommodated in the venue, and if the larger venues are booked.

It's really a matter of how many people can be accommodated in the venue, and if the larger venues are booked.

I have found this to be true. On one cruise, only those receiving medals were invited to the reception which was held in the Explorer's Lounge. It was explained to us that there was not enough room for all previous medal holders and that the Queen's Lounge was booked for a presentation.

Friends and I recently went from the Volendam, where we were first and second as far as Mariner Days goes, to the Amsterdam. On that cruise I was well down the list, and my friend (well past the 4* level) wasn't invited to the reception. Not even close.

The ship knows well in advance who will be on each cruise. If there are a lot of 4 stars and above, they know they will need to book a venue larger than the Explorers Lounge for the Awards Party.

Just a matter of scheduling events and some ships seem to put this party last on the list.

I have found this to be true. On one cruise, only those receiving medals were invited to the reception which was held in the Explorer's Lounge. It was explained to us that there was not enough room for all previous medal holders and that the Queen's Lounge was booked for a presentation.

And was the Show Lounge booked as well?

If the ships really wanted to be gracious about this they would make arrangements accordingly.

Well I might agree with that except I know from first hand expierence, that a '4' star mariner was invited to the Explorer's Lounge for a metal presentation and I, a '5' star was not and she wasn't getting a metal. Surprise the heck out of me.