Tivoli Gardens

Honest question. We are planning on going there because it is one of the iconic places in Copenhagen and we aren't interested in the rides they offer. My understanding is that there are other things of interest that might be worth the price of admission, but I will defer to those that have been there to help finalize our decision.

If you get the Copenhagen Card you can go to Tivoli Gardens for free. We didn't do any rides, just walked around. They do have a light show that was fun to watch but I personally would've skipped it if we didn't have the Copenhagen Card.

Honest question. We are planning on going there because it is one of the iconic places in Copenhagen and we aren't interested in the rides they offer. My understanding is that there are other things of interest that might be worth the price of admission, but I will defer to those that have been there to help finalize our decision.

Thanks Grego, my dad wants to go because of the gardens he says are there, but 3 are 3 adults not wanting to do the rides and I am in a wheelchair and not allowed to do any rides because of my back and neck surgeries.

Thanks Grego, my dad wants to go because of the gardens he says are there, but 3 are 3 adults not wanting to do the rides and I am in a wheelchair and not allowed to do any rides because of my back and neck surgeries.

Excellent question. Clearly it's a personal choice and decision!! For us, in both of our visits to Copenhagen, we did visit Tivoli. During our first visit, it was a Sunday afternoon with a number of music and dance programs happening there. We were not there for the rides. It was seeing the wonderful mix of design, gardens, people, activities, water features, etc.

During our second visit, it was evening time and we super enjoyed the "magic" as the sun was setting and sampled the exciting, fun lighting. The evening experience really added to our enjoyment. Need proof? Below are a few of my visuals as "evidence" for why we enjoyed both of our visits to Tivoli. Clearly each potential visitor has their own budget and group needs to guide them. Just wanted to share more as to why and how we so enjoyed Tivoli with its spectacular charm and character.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 198,494 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner. Walt Disney was inspired in 1950 to construct Disneyland after visiting this park in the heart of Copenhagen. Tivoli opened in 1843 and encompasses eight hectares with 1,000 trees and 400,000 summer flowers planted throughout the gardens. It boasts upwards of 40 restaurants, a Chinese-style pantomime theater, open-air concert stage, amusement park and Denmark’s longest salt-water aquarium. In the evening, the park is lighted up with Chinese lanterns, multi-colored lights, etc. That truly makes it a “Magic Kingdom” to make Disney happy. Website at: tivoligardens.com.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here, we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843. Very unique and special place that is so handy. If possible, visit there in the evening when the lighting makes things so much more magical!!:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Here is one of Tivoli’s most unique buildings “showing off” with its covering of spectacular lighting. Thomas Edison would be proud! Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. We enjoyed a super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843.:

TivoliOrientNight.jpg

One of the stage shows at Tivoli with live music and dancers:

1A-Tivoli-StageShow.jpg

Excellent question. Clearly it's a personal choice and decision!! For us, in both of our visits to Copenhagen, we did visit Tivoli. During our first visit, it was a Sunday afternoon with a number of music and dance programs happening there. We were not there for the rides. It was seeing the wonderful mix of design, gardens, people, activities, water features, etc.

During our second visit, it was evening time and we super enjoyed the "magic" as the sun was setting and sampled the exciting, fun lighting. The evening experience really added to our enjoyment. Need proof? Below are a few of my visuals as "evidence" for why we enjoyed both of our visits to Tivoli. Clearly each potential visitor has their own budget and group needs to guide them. Just wanted to share more as to why and how we so enjoyed Tivoli with its spectacular charm and character.

Thanks Terry,

It was actually your photos that me think we should visit as it looks so pretty/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 198,494 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner. Walt Disney was inspired in 1950 to construct Disneyland after visiting this park in the heart of Copenhagen. Tivoli opened in 1843 and encompasses eight hectares with 1,000 trees and 400,000 summer flowers planted throughout the gardens. It boasts upwards of 40 restaurants, a Chinese-style pantomime theater, open-air concert stage, amusement park and Denmark’s longest salt-water aquarium. In the evening, the park is lighted up with Chinese lanterns, multi-colored lights, etc. That truly makes it a “Magic Kingdom” to make Disney happy. Website at: tivoligardens.com.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here, we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843. Very unique and special place that is so handy. If possible, visit there in the evening when the lighting makes things so much more magical!!:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Here is one of Tivoli’s most unique buildings “showing off” with its covering of spectacular lighting. Thomas Edison would be proud! Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. We enjoyed a super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843.:

TivoliOrientNight.jpg

One of the stage shows at Tivoli with live music and dancers:

1A-Tivoli-StageShow.jpg

Thanks Terry. it was actually your photos that made me think, perhaps we should visit Tivoli while we are in Copenhagen.

Great pics!!!

I can't wait to go. We are arriving in Copenhagen day before cruise.

We are big Disney fans so excited to see his inspirations.:D

Your pics inspired me to just spend the day into the evening there!

Also.... $16.50 :-) admission....clearly Walt wasn't inspired by those prices.LOL

Kerri

Edited by luv2gonow

There is some very good food inside of Tivoli as well. It's beautiful in the evenings, with all the lights. Go later, have dinner and enjoy. We had a very good Danish meal at Groften. Very fresh, including a seasonal additional menu. I'd definitely go back for another meal.

Thanks Terry. it was actually your photos that made me think, perhaps we should visit Tivoli while we are in Copenhagen.

OCruisers: Tivoli is quite enjoyable without doing any of the rides.

luv2gonow: Great pics!!! I can't wait to go. We are arriving in Copenhagen day before cruise. We are big Disney fans so excited to see his inspirations. Your pics inspired me to just spend the day into the evening there! Also.... $16.50 admission....clearly Walt wasn't inspired by those prices. LOL Kerri

ann141: Great photos.

Appreciate these kind comments on my visuals from wonderful Tivoli. Below are a few more examples of the "eye-candy" possible to see from visiting this charming' date=' historic location in Copenhagen. Agree that there are a number of good food options there and/or nearby. On prices, yes, compared to Disney World, Tivoli is not nearly as high, high in pricing. BUT, Tivoli is relatively small in size compared to the MEGA size of the Disney properties. Also, Tivoli is very close and handy to the main downtown and other key attractions.

Keep up the great sharing of information, experiences, loves, ideas, etc., regard this great attractions in the Danish capital.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 143,531 views for this posting.

B]Lots of outdoor dining options in Tivoli: [/b]

1A-Copenh-TivDining.jpg

Tivoli has lots of rides including this twisting roller coaster:

1A-Copenh-TivRolCoasters.jpg

A view of Tivoli with its rides, water and downtown Copenhagen buildings, City Hall Tower in the background, etc. Fun sights!!:

1A-Tivoli-WaterBoats.jpg

1A-Copenh-TivBldgMusic.jpg

1A-Copenh-TivSkyRide.jpg

In looking at Tivoli's website, I think the basic ticket - the one that's around $16.50 USD as mentioned earlier - is only for admission to the park; tickets for the rides are extra. Or there's a combo ticket that's admission plus unlimited rides that's more expensive. So, double-check that, if you're interested in rides vs. no rides.

First, we enjoyed Terry's photos which seem to make most places look magical :). And like some other posters we have visited Tivoli during the day and the evening and enjoyed the experience. The place is simply pretty (cannot think of a better word). It does bother me to pay an admission fee to get into a park just to go to one of the restaurants (wise to have reservations). We put Tivoli into a too common category of a tourist place that should be experienced at least once...with the knowledge that it is a tourist trap :).

Hank

It was worth it to us. Very beautiful, good food and fun place to walk around. However, we could not stay awake late enough to see it at night like those beautiful photos. If I'm not mistaking we went back to the hotel around 10:30 and it was still light out!

In looking at Tivoli's website, I think the basic ticket - the one that's around $16.50 USD as mentioned earlier - is only for admission to the park; tickets for the rides are extra. Or there's a combo ticket that's admission plus unlimited rides that's more expensive. So, double-check that, if you're interested in rides vs. no rides.

Ahhhh that makes more sense... Admission just to walk on gate then the "extras"

Kerri