Kusadasi market: shopping tips

Any suggestions for what to look for and buy in this market? I'm not interested in fake designer gear and Chinese imports. Looking for things that are typical in Turkey or the Eastern Med. I probably can't afford a silk carpet, but are there other modestly-priced genuine local items that would make good gifts or souvenirs?

Turkish ceramics are colorful and definitely a souvenir particular to Turkey. You can get anything from a small decorative dish or bowl to large platters and vases.

If you can't afford a rug, you could look at pillow covers. Turkey is famous for textiles, not just rugs. Suzani is a type of embroidered work that is very popular right now and makes nice pillow covers. Kelim pillows are also nice. (They use parts of old kelim rugs.) Both of these come in many different colors.

They also make very interesting purses out of the old rugs......

We actually ended up buying 2 gorgeous buttery leather jackets here. Got a really good deal since we bought one for me and one for dh. These, of course, would be a very expensive gift but a really nice souvenir for yourself ;)

Some people like Turkish delight (the candy) but we found it awful :D But I did love the teas. Apple tea is a favorite and they also sell these wonderful little tea sets:

http://www.google.com/search?q=turkish+tea+set&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=-p5OULXcBsqW2QW794CAAg&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=738

They have them in all sizes, shapes, colors and finishes...... and of course prices. Most of the sets come packed in a neat box which fits in the suitcase perfectly :D

Also evil eye items make great gift souvenirs and they are cheap. I am sure you will find lots more items once there.......have fun !

I bought a silver braided bracelet (think hammered silver) for my teen daughter from a shop near the port in Kusadasi. They charge by the weight. I paid $83 and think I should have bargained more. But it was definitely less money there than in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.

as gifts u can buy blue amulets which has an eye on each of them(called "nazar boncugu")

they came as magnets, bracelets, earrings, key rings, ornaments or just the bead its self...

they are traditional, something almost all Turkish people have in their houses or on themselves and not expensive at all...

and theres a common belief that the eye on the bead protects you from the evil eye.. bcs (d)evil looks directly to the eye instead of looking at you..

well... just a belief but a good souvenir or gift to buy from Turkey...

something like this as an ornament:

nazar-boncuklu-yedili-beyaz-fil.jpg

---

you may also check the hookahs(nargile) if you are into that kind of stuff...

Hookahs.-300x218.jpg

Turkish ceramics are colorful and definitely a souvenir particular to Turkey. You can get anything from a small decorative dish or bowl to large platters and vases...

Yes! I purchased two small bowls, each uniquely painted. I keep my jewelry in one and gave one to my sister - perfect size for keys, candies, coins, etc.

Some people like Turkish delight (the candy) but we found it awful :D ...

Oh my goodness! Yes! Do NOT buy the pre-packaged Turkish Delight candies. It is truly hideous. I bought several boxes for family and co-workers; so glad we opened one box beforehand because it was absolutely VILE! I hear the authentic candy sold in bulk in the market is good, but please stay away from the boxed variety! UGH! Lesson learned. :(

On our way back to the ship, I bought two woven bookmarks for 1 Euro. I love them. :) Cheaper than a rug!!

Yes! I purchased two small bowls, each uniquely painted. I keep my jewelry in one and gave one to my sister - perfect size for keys, candies, coins, etc.

Oh my goodness! Yes! Do NOT buy the pre-packaged Turkish Delight candies. It is truly hideous. I bought several boxes for family and co-workers; so glad we opened one box beforehand because it was absolutely VILE! I hear the authentic candy sold in bulk in the market is good, but please stay away from the boxed variety! UGH! Lesson learned. :(

On our way back to the ship, I bought two woven bookmarks for 1 Euro. I love them. :) Cheaper than a rug!!

The fresh Turkish Delight is really amazing, they cut fresh slices for us and boxed it up right in the market. After sampling the many flavors to decide which one we wanted of course. :D

I agree the pre-packaged in dreadful. Earlier in the day we made the mistake of buy a box of the pre-packaged and after nibbling a piece just threw the rest away. :eek:

Bill

Haha.....had to laugh..... sorry. Only because........

.......the vendors will take pretty much anything :D

I will say tho, you will get better deal with lira. Their "exchange rate" leaves a little to be desired ;)

We used mostly lira (from an ATM right outside the port) for entry fees, small items and water, snacks etc....

We used our credit card (Mastercard and American express) for lunch and shopping (I AM a shopper !) It was charged in lira and then the credit card co. converted to US$

They will also take euros.

• 1 year later...

I would just like to confirm the truth about the cheap and nasty product that passes as Turkish Delight and which is being sold on all the stalls around Kusadasi port area. I had been longing to buy some real Turkish Delight from Turkey and imagined that gorgeous gooey mouthful, tasting of real rose water. But what was sold on that market is nasty hard gelatin, flavoured with an artificial flavouring. And the box that it is packaged in is twice the size of the actual product. Beware of this rubbish and look for the genuine article. Ripping off your tourists is not a good way to encourage tourism!!

2133091037_2014-07-2300_10_53.jpg.4d65a155b444f833aa7361188b453a0c.jpg

527985238_2014-07-2300_13_32.jpg.50537c2e872e844f3984536d211773e9.jpg

649396700_2014-07-2300_14_08.jpg.ed2dac3e9754ff715c4c88a9ac208f85.jpg

1335760199_2014-07-2300_14_31.jpg.9f226f274685afd15a21b1b53b2647b3.jpg

Edited by Lanzalady
Adding photos

The fresh Turkish Delight is really amazing, they cut fresh slices for us and boxed it up right in the market. After sampling the many flavors to decide which one we wanted of course. :D

I agree the pre-packaged in dreadful. Earlier in the day we made the mistake of buy a box of the pre-packaged and after nibbling a piece just threw the rest away. :eek:

Bill

We also found a shop selling fresh Turkish delight very close to the port. We were able to sample any we wanted and then watched him cut the pieces and put them in the box. He charged by weight. My wife's favorite was pomegranate and honey.

DSC_9577_zps4d440f38.jpg

something like this as an ornament:

nazar-boncuklu-yedili-beyaz-fil.jpg

I wish I had bought a lot more of these for friends. I found a store that had them for just a few Lira. I gave some to friends, but I wish I had more. My husband has a paper weight of the evil eye in his office and gets comments on it every day.

Edited by NCruiser2012

I cannot imagine being in Kusadasi without visiting at least one of the "Genuine Fake Watches" shops. Some of the fakes are actually pretty good and much better then many of the cheap watches sold on cruise ships at their so-called "sales." We actually stopped at one of the shops on our last visit and told the owner that we wanted a Rolex "Daytona" model that normally sells for over $20,000. After a search in the back room he found the exact watch but annoyed me when we asked for $40. I told him we could find the same watch in Beijing for about $15 and finally made a deal at $25. It was actually a decent self-winding fake (as opposed to the really cheap electric watches). On a previous trip to Beijing we had learned the difference between a "cheap" fake and a "quality" fake. The latter might actually last a few years. DW's late Father loved to wear his "genuine Rolex" at work and tell his friends that his daughter gave him the expensive watch for a gift.

Hank