Shops

acharris1

Go to Pusser's.

Easy walk.

Come out of dock area, past the Marina area and go left. Walk straight. Pusser's is on right side of the road and has a bar/restaurant in front and in the rear some fairly decent casual wear. My DH loved their polo jerseys, shorts, cargo shorts etc We'd browse/shop and then have a cold drink. :)

• 1 month later...

Knowing that the port is still under construction, I'm wondering if there is a place to buy liquor near by or at the port. There is a particular rum that is only available on certain islands and I'm hoping to find it on Tortola. The only catch is that we are on the Escape with a 7:00 arrival and a 3:00 departure. We also have an excursion at 9:00 that gets us back to the ship at 2:00. I was hoping to pick up my liquor as soon as the ship docks and drop it off on the ship before my 9:00 excursion.

Any info on liquor stores near or at the port would be appreciated.

Good approach to just do some shopping.

Keith

Keith I would never recommend just shopping when docked in Tortola. Just such a beautiful island it's a shame someone would stay by the ship. I understand acharris1 had a bad experience at the baths last visit (very atypical experience there), but a great sugegstion would be to take an inexpensive ($25pp) island tour on Tortola to experience those gorgeous bay and island views, and then do some shopping at Pusser's and Sunny Caribbee. Just my 2 cents, the poster may not have been interested but at least we tried!

Keith I would never recommend just shopping when docked in Tortola. Just such a beautiful island it's a shame someone would stay by the ship. I understand acharris1 had a bad experience at the baths last visit (very atypical experience there), but a great sugegstion would be to take an inexpensive ($25pp) island tour on Tortola to experience those gorgeous bay and island views, and then do some shopping at Pusser's and Sunny Caribbee. Just my 2 cents, the poster may not have been interested but at least we tried!

I wasn't the only one who had a bad experience. Several people were bleeding from cuts on their legs from maneuvering down rocks, I think specifically the one towards the front with the rope to hang onto.

Sorry to hear that...:( definitely not a typical day!

But my point was just for you or others who may feel the Baths or a daysail is not for them I would strongly urge folks to consider an island tour or a beach day even on a short port day because Tortola is so gorgeous. Just read some of the recent reports from folks who were amazed at the beauty. If you haven't sailed yet I hope you are able to experience some of that beauty.

Then hit the shops near the port, Pusser's has a nice line of nautical clothing in the back (upstairs for gals), and Sunny Caribbee is a great little spice shop with very tasty rubs and spices. Both are a short walk, the nice gals at the visitor center at the dock can direct you.

You can also order from both places if you need something before you return for a longer stay! :D

www.sunnycaribbee.com

https://www.pussers.com/t-road-town-pub.aspx

• 4 months later...

Save the shopping for St Thomas, where you're in port longer and the town has more to offer. Tortola's port is in its infancy, and the island has some fantastic scenery. Cane Garden Bay was the highlight of our May cruise. We'll be doing the Baths in December since the small kiddos won't be with us. Although Jost van Dyke is tempting!!

Save the shopping for St Thomas, where you're in port longer and the town has more to offer. Tortola's port is in its infancy, and the island has some fantastic scenery. Cane Garden Bay was the highlight of our May cruise. We'll be doing the Baths in December since the small kiddos won't be with us. Although Jost van Dyke is tempting!!

Thanks, we will look into Cane Garden Bay excursions.

St Thomas offers the duty free shopping if you are looking for that, hawkers will lure you in. The small shops near the Tortola pier will always remain that way we hope.

If you have time to shop after seeing beautiful Tortola don't miss Sunny Caribbee - a great little spice and rub shop with great gifts, and Pussers Road Town Pub - an English-style pub with great English fare and we always buy clothing from their unique line out back.

For beaches, if you're looking for a crowded beach to be with the rest of your fellow cruisers CGB is the spot. No need to take an excursion, just walk to a safari taxi and it's $6 - $8pp each way. No snorkeling but a large bay with several beach restaurants/bars.

Couldn't agree more Mike - Tortola is a beautiful island to experience. Sorry I didn't read all of your post! If there's time left then hit Sunny Caribbee and the other small shops there.