Grandeur of the seas dry dock

Didn't Enchantment get its bungee trampolines (ship's forward, above the Windjammer) during its last drydock? I sailed on Enchantment in November and got to enjoy it a couple of times (wasn't busy, just walked up). I was thinking Grandeur might get the bungee trampolines at its next refurbishment.

Edited by moopetguy

Didn't Enchantment get its bungee trampolines (ship's forward, above the Windjammer) during its last drydock?

Those have been there for 6+ years - I assume they installed them when the ship was stretched.

Don't miss the arial shows in the centrum .... very cool...above the Windjammer the is a deck that over looks the front of the ship ... makes for a good view... any specific questions ... I can answer ... we are most likely going on her again in march 2017 to the southern Caribbean

Don't miss the aerial show in the Centrum. Make sure you show up at least 20-30 minutes in advance of the show to get a good seat.

The towel-folding demonstration is also interesting to watch (also in the Centrum). If you get to the front for pictures at the end of the demonstration quickly enough, you may also be able to get a copy of a handout that shows you how to fold some towel animals.

The dance parties in the Centrum can be fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Didn't Enchantment get its bungee trampolines (ship's forward, above the Windjammer) during its last drydock? I sailed on Enchantment in November and got to enjoy it a couple of times (wasn't busy, just walked up). I was thinking Grandeur might get the bungee trampolines at its next refurbishment.

Those have been there for 6+ years - I assume they installed them when the ship was stretched.

Yes, the bungee trampolines were part of the streeeeeeeeeeeetch that was done in 2005. :)

Yes, the bungee trampolines were part of the streeeeeeeeeeeetch that was done in 2005. :)

Thanks. I find it weird that Grandeur hasn't gotten them (yet?), then. That space on Grandeur seems kind of boring/underutilized to me.

The only Vision class ship that got them was the Enchantment - none of the other 5 did.

I Know the Grandeur was rumored to be in line to be stretched after the Enchantment, however due to the actual costs of doing it to Enchantment, the idea of stretching Grandeur was scrapped. My guess is that was it's only shot at the trampolines. None have gone on to any ship of any class since.

Actually Enchantment got fewer things in it's last dry dock than the rest of the Vision Class. It did not get any new specialty restaurants (Chops was there since the 2005 refurb), nor did it get (the now almost non existent on other ships anyway) Ariel Show

Edited by Firefighterhoop

• 4 weeks later...

We did Charleston on Vision two years ago. Not a bad stop at all. Shopping within walking distance. On the way back to the ship, stop at "Fleet Landing Restaurant" for lunch and bevvies. It's on the water, next to the cruise ship pier. Fun time, great service.

Rick and Deirdra

The trampolines were a one off deal on Enchantment, you won't see them again anytime soon. They were installed many years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Although we have learned to like Grandeur a lot, it is probably the LEAST handicapped friendly ship in the fleet. If you need an accessible cabin please be aware that you will need to request a toilet seat enhancer as the commodes are all 15". The beds are also quite low but they have a wonderful "jack" system to raise them. The Crew and Staff are among the best though and she is in great shape for one of the older girls in the fleet.

As for an new ship in Baltimore, Vision class is the largest that can fit under the bridges. There was some scuttlebutt about a cruise port near the Solomon Island are but if it does happen it will be many many years down the road.

The best place to construct a new cruise port in the state of Maryland would be just outside of Annapolis. There is probably some Naval Academy land that the state can trade for...around where the radio towers and rifle range are.....not downtown. This would probably require some dredging, connector roads, parking lots and a new terminal.

On the plus side of the ledger it would eliminate the bridge height problem for ever, since the ships would not have to go under the Bay and Key Bridges. There are plenty of hotels in the Annapolis area to handle pre and post cruise travelers. It is still relatively close to BWI airport. It is right off of US 50 which connects to I-97 coming off of I-95. Living on the east side of Baltimore County this would add a Hour or so to the drive to the port, but it is still better than flying plus it opens up cruising to all cruise ships.

Last but not least, it cuts an hour and a half to two hours off of the cruise to and from the ocean.

• 1 month later...
The best place to construct a new cruise port in the state of Maryland would be just outside of Annapolis. There is probably some Naval Academy land that the state can trade for...around where the radio towers and rifle range are.....not downtown. This would probably require some dredging, connector roads, parking lots and a new terminal.

On the plus side of the ledger it would eliminate the bridge height problem for ever, since the ships would not have to go under the Bay and Key Bridges. There are plenty of hotels in the Annapolis area to handle pre and post cruise travelers. It is still relatively close to BWI airport. It is right off of US 50 which connects to I-97 coming off of I-95. Living on the east side of Baltimore County this would add a Hour or so to the drive to the port, but it is still better than flying plus it opens up cruising to all cruise ships.

Last but not least, it cuts an hour and a half to two hours off of the cruise to and from the ocean.

I know this post is old but I had agree with you, as a fellow Marylander (transplant, at least). Plus, think of the revenue it could bring to the state. It would be great to expand the number of cruise lines and ships that could service this area making it easily accessible for the DMV area but also areas within a couple of hours.

We can dream, right!

Didn't Enchantment get its bungee trampolines (ship's forward, above the Windjammer) during its last drydock? I sailed on Enchantment in November and got to enjoy it a couple of times (wasn't busy, just walked up). I was thinking Grandeur might get the bungee trampolines at its next refurbishment.[/quote
Edited by Thetrail
redundant post