Grandeur of the seas dry dock

Don't miss the arial shows in the centrum .... very cool...above the Windjammer the is a deck that over looks the front of the ship ... makes for a good view... any specific questions ... I can answer ... we are most likely going on her again in march 2017 to the southern Caribbean

Unfortunately, it's been reported here on another thread that they no longer do the aerial show. It was great; too bad it's gone.

The best place to construct a new cruise port in the state of Maryland would be just outside of Annapolis. There is probably some Naval Academy land that the state can trade for...around where the radio towers and rifle range are.....not downtown. This would probably require some dredging, connector roads, parking lots and a new terminal.

On the plus side of the ledger it would eliminate the bridge height problem for ever, since the ships would not have to go under the Bay and Key Bridges. There are plenty of hotels in the Annapolis area to handle pre and post cruise travelers. It is still relatively close to BWI airport. It is right off of US 50 which connects to I-97 coming off of I-95. Living on the east side of Baltimore County this would add a Hour or so to the drive to the port, but it is still better than flying plus it opens up cruising to all cruise ships.

Last but not least, it cuts an hour and a half to two hours off of the cruise to and from the ocean.

You are talking about a multi billion dollar project.

There would be soo many hurdles to cross with the local, state and federal government let alone the residents who would be affected

Just an example it cost multimillionaire just to do maintenence dredging of the existing channels.

An example would be the new Seagirt Marine Terminal berth cost close to $25 million to build and this pier is about 1000 ft long.

I just got off the Grandeur today. During the Q&A, the dry dock question was asked and the answer was that it is mostly cosmetic and mechanical. Carpets are getting redone, the hull is getting its repair. Scrubbers are being installed. Floors are being redone. No actual "upgrades", but I heard that they also maybe dismantling the mechanisms for the aerial shows for the Centrum. There was no aerial show on the Grandeur on this cruise and there probably won't be any future ones.

• 2 weeks later...
Were doing a 9 day to Charleston, PC, Miami, Nassau and Coco Cay

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We did this cruise last Oct. and it is fantastic.

Charleston is fabulous and great to walk around or check out the remains of the Fort.

All of the other ports we had been to previously and we always love Coco Cay.

:cool:

I just got off the Grandeur today. During the Q&A, the dry dock question was asked and the answer was that it is mostly cosmetic and mechanical. Carpets are getting redone, the hull is getting its repair. Scrubbers are being installed. Floors are being redone. No actual "upgrades", but I heard that they also maybe dismantling the mechanisms for the aerial shows for the Centrum. There was no aerial show on the Grandeur on this cruise and there probably won't be any future ones.

:o

Did they give an explanation as to WHY they are doing away with the Aerial Show? I thoroughly enjoyed the show the ONE time they did it over 18 months and 3 cruises.

Did they give an explanation as to WHY they are doing away with the Aerial Show? I thoroughly enjoyed the show the ONE time they did it over 18 months and 3 cruises.

The story I've heard most is a supposed worldwide shortage of riggers.

I heard another issue. Yes, there's a shortage of riggers and they are supposedly training them for cruises, but the other side is, that riggers don't want to work on the smaller vision class ships. They're all going towards the larger class ships, that are apparently better equipped for this kind of activity. And since they are actually dismantling the setup, it says to me that they don't see the numbers going up in sufficient quantities to warrant the equipment on these ships.

I heard another issue. Yes, there's a shortage of riggers and they are supposedly training them for cruises, but the other side is, that riggers don't want to work on the smaller vision class ships. They're all going towards the larger class ships, that are apparently better equipped for this kind of activity. And since they are actually dismantling the setup, it says to me that they don't see the numbers going up in sufficient quantities to warrant the equipment on these ships.

But they will keep advertising that they are offered as part of the WOW factor.

Don't miss the arial shows in the centrum .... very cool...above the Windjammer the is a deck that over looks the front of the ship ... makes for a good view... any specific questions ... I can answer ... we are most likely going on her again in march 2017 to the southern Caribbean

No more Ariel shows......was on her in Jan., 2017 and Feb.,2017.

Don't miss the aerial show in the Centrum. Make sure you show up at least 20-30 minutes in advance of the show to get a good seat.

The towel-folding demonstration is also interesting to watch (also in the Centrum). If you get to the front for pictures at the end of the demonstration quickly enough, you may also be able to get a copy of a handout that shows you how to fold some towel animals.

The dance parties in the Centrum can be fun if you're into that sort of thing.

No more aeriel shows.....

I know this post is old but I had agree with you, as a fellow Marylander (transplant, at least). Plus, think of the revenue it could bring to the state. It would be great to expand the number of cruise lines and ships that could service this area making it easily accessible for the DMV area but also areas within a couple of hours.

We can dream, right!

As a Marylander, I love that and the possibility of all ships not just the vision ships for RC and others.......