Alaska Packing List?

atlgants

Put the word 'packing' into SEARCH THIS FORUM and you'll find hundreds of threads addressing this question.

The key is LAYERS. The layer next to your skin is a long or short sleeve tshirt,or long underwear or shirt/blouse, etc. The next layer is for warmth, so a fleece pullover, sweater, hoody, etc. And the top layer is a waterproof jacket, preferably with a hood.

Here's my tried and true:

The layer next to my skin needs to be changed every day so I pack several t's.

It's fine to re-wear the warmth layer so I only pack 2, maybe another hoody and fleece.

I wear a pr of jeans on the plane and pack a pr of black jeans and a pr of khakis.

I wear sneakers on the plane and pack a pr of walking shoes and a pr of flip flops.

I pack a pr of capris/shorts. (Bring a bathing suit if you think you'll use the pool.)

I always take my daypack. It's a place to store extra layers for when the weather changes during the day. And it's also a place to keep gloves, hat, camera, binoculars, chapstick, sunglasses, maps, snacks, water, wallet etc

If you think you'll feel the cold, buy long underwear. If you're doing serious hiking, bring hiking boots. If you plan on activities that have you outdoors for hours at a time, pack cheap rain pants (Dri Ducks).

Look at past trip reports or youtube video, and pay attention to people in the background ..... they're wearing jeans, sweatshirts, a jacket and carry a small pack.

A backpack for sure, big enough to carry the layers you might shed throughout the day. Every cruise I've been on, at some point I'm colder than I expected to be, but I've also heard of it feeling warmer on top of glaciers than people expected, so plan for both.

Sunscreen and lip balm

Umbrella or rain jacket

I saw someone recommend a polarizing lens for the camera if you will be on snow or glaciers.

For any cruise, I take small, battery-operated LED votive "candles," to use as night lights in the bathroom.

The key is LAYERS. The layer next to your skin is a long or short sleeve tshirt,or long underwear or shirt/blouse, etc. The next layer is for warmth, so a fleece pullover, sweater, hoody, etc. And the top layer is a waterproof jacket, preferably with a hood.

Hey Mapleleaves. Quick question, specifically for those in the PNW. We are in Bellingham...we normally do not pull out our jackets until the mid 30's. Looking at the forecast (I know still a month away), it appears the temps in Alaska will be about the same as in Bellingham. We have been to Ketchikan in April/May and did not need our winter coats...IF the weather is forecast to be in 50's/60's in Alaska, would you recommend a heavy coat or just the layers with the "jacket" being the same one we would use for cold, wet Seahawk games? Thanks a bunch (from a major overpacker)

IF the weather is forecast to be in 50's/60's in Alaska, would you recommend a heavy coat or just the layers with the "jacket" being the same one we would use for cold, wet Seahawk games? Thanks a bunch (from a major overpacker)

what is a 'heavy coat" ? Makes me think of a down ski jacket or long wool coat.

Sounds like the jacket you use at the game is a good option. You can always put a fleece or hoody in your daypack, in case you need some extra warmth.

As you know, weather forecasts aren't worth a whole lot. But look a day or 2 prior to your departure to see if there's a pattern holding.....like a warm spell for a week or a windy rainy pattern for a week.

Have a great trip !

We are going almost the same time great question!

For dog sledding, glacier hiking etc do you think you would need hat and gloves ? Or just fleece jacket and windbreaker ? Hate to overpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have zero interest in dog sledding, but i have ALWAYS needed my hat and gloves at some point when in Alaska. They just sit in my daypack; its not like they take up a bunch of space.

If you look at dog sled photos iń past trip reports, you'll see that the clothing is very weather dependent. On a warm sunny day people are in fleece pullovers, but on cold rainy day they're bundled up.

It always amazes me how little some people can pack and get by with on trips. My husband and I each had a carryon, we also had a checked bag and I had a backpack on the plane in place of a purse that I keep meds and paperwork in. And out of that, I think I brought back very few items that were not worn. As others have said, layers are key. Also a waterproof jacket. Binoculars if you have them. Small flashlight in case power goes out on the ship for any reason. For an early or late season trip, I would include some type of headgear and gloves. I have some very lightweight thinsulate gloves and used them and my knit cap several times on our September trip last year.

If your cruise has a day in fabulous Glacier Bay, you'll probably need the warm socks, hat & gloves as well as the waterproof layer. That's the day I'm on the outer decks for hours!

This is my 4th Alaska cruise, but I've never been in May (until next month!!!) before so I expect to need an extra layer some days. :)

Quick question, specifically for those in the PNW. We are in Bellingham...we normally do not pull out our jackets until the mid 30's.

...IF the weather is forecast to be in 50's/60's in Alaska, would you recommend a heavy coat or just the layers with the "jacket" being the same one we would use for cold, wet Seahawk games? Thanks a bunch (from a major overpacker)

I'd say "wet Seahawks game" and/or "wet spring day" are good comparison points for someone from the PNW.

Besides the gloves and hat, I also bring a scarf as I get chilly around my neck.

You don't need a down jacket or anything heavy like that. We do as others do ... wear a T, then a fleece, then a rain jacket (we have gortex jackets).

If cold, you can always double up on the T-s with a short sleeve first, then a long sleeve on top of that.

We have sailed in May twice and had beautiful weather both times.

If your cruise has a day in fabulous Glacier Bay, you'll probably need the warm socks, hat & gloves as well as the waterproof layer. That's the day I'm on the outer decks for hours!

This is my 4th Alaska cruise, but I've never been in May (until next month!!!) before so I expect to need an extra layer some days. :)

I'm going next month, too! I plan to be on deck all day in Glacier Bay, so I'm taking hat & mittens, just to be safe.

Ok, clarification needed. I'm from Alabama and the only hat I own is my "Red Hat Society" hat that is purely for fun. What kind of hat do I need to purchase for my cruise to Alaska in May and trip continuing to Denali on June 1st?

My jacket has a hood, but a baseball cap is a good addition: the brim shields your eyes from the sun or rain. (You can also spray with waterproofing)

For warmth, esp on small boat tours or near glaciers, a wool/stocking hat or wide ski band.

Look in this trip report for photos of their Glacier point excursion in Skagway . Note headwear.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47098204#post47098204

My jacket has a hood, but a baseball cap is a good addition: the brim shields your eyes from the sun or rain. (You can also spray with waterproofing)

For warmth, esp on small boat tours or near glaciers, a wool/stocking hat or wide ski band.

Look in this trip report for photos of their Glacier point excursion in Skagway . Note headwear.

LOL! A beanie! Got it. When folks said "hat" I was thinking fedora, cowboy hat, or straw hat, not baseball caps and beanies. btw, the photos on that post are beautiful!

I second the suggestion to wear a cap under the hood! When you spend an entire day out in the rain, it is nice to have your face protected. Also thank you for the suggestion of waterproofing the hat...I will do that before we leave next month on our next Alaskan cruise.

Here I am with my hat under the hood on a rainy day at the Wildlife Conservation Center. (Didn't need a telephoto lens to get a good photo of this moose!!)

h5Km2Wfi_ihpymv5qY1G_C_EWwiJi-m2J3nbQLLkcbcERlTciCZFryxi5jpiJ3aezaq8v8oxJZ5vmCMtoRPcu7uoxPfZ6KK0MndoJcep0cmb8VPgeXSo1rwN_U-z3VruO3GA0cvEpRmbJzck2_EZ-Tx5n6kE2noGqb7EQlTsz27G2rJAavCPsviyVPDpI0b8rDV1ZHxg1wIwevzKFz_yZQN9l_aRg2KW0xFK15r10lqDByi7zY_MS7opF_HIqzyPKYXXlbX_5qLn8q9gpvcQ-i12jZDPMsQDY0wPYUREGDHo9bOd3JfUPaRRTcA8vFx5VVQnr4JPehIcWGAw3rqnuiHN9f1eqUnsJxTowNq3GUtHHUOZooK6DxpVRLuZN26i-UTWA3zHVHrHxAUo4r-gwNwpy6zSa6cxwQenJQ_rsTrgLRzDssFevlP5WUGBj74Tn-XAqT2ZuEEktqZ8q0Kbcybham94jwPLFvngUNqApThX_qXmW3X_edPkPQImgYMdOSEXHkaSqkIUHJcXO4COMpQ9ZqKkqPeCo6xr-21fzIqpPhwIrFCljHGji1GLRS6c7ht3NDT95yZ3bOTDEz_zghUDEKQdSnx5sVeqzROzvu1tlT6nCUAQ=w1266-h950-no

This is usually my hot weather hat, but it worked well for the rain. If you are ever in the market for hats, check out Sunday Afternoons. I am fair-skinned and this hat has been a lifesaver for me. I take it on every trip and love the protection it gives from the sun, rain, etc. The flap can be tucked up under or worn down to keep the sun off your neck. AND...the cord keeps it from blowing away! My hat is quite a few years old and still looks like new! I don't work for this company or anything...I'm just a huge fan!

cream-sport-hat.jpg

@AryMay I read the Coral Princess Alaska cruise review you did and I just keep learning more from you. The hat/cap you have does look like it would work great for a variety of situations, including under a hoodie. I would never have thought of that. :cool:

@AryMay I read the Coral Princess Alaska cruise review you did and I just keep learning more from you. The hat/cap you have does look like it would work great for a variety of situations, including under a hoodie. I would never have thought of that. :cool:

Thanks!

I just realized that there was some sort of glitch in the link I had for my Alaska blog posts in my signature. Hopefully I have it fixed! :)

This should be the correct link that takes you to the beginning of the review: Alaska - The Journey Begins

h5Km2Wfi_ihpymv5qY1G_C_EWwiJi-m2J3nbQLLkcbcERlTciCZFryxi5jpiJ3aezaq8v8oxJZ5vmCMtoRPcu7uoxPfZ6KK0MndoJcep0cmb8VPgeXSo1rwN_U-z3VruO3GA0cvEpRmbJzck2_EZ-Tx5n6kE2noGqb7EQlTsz27G2rJAavCPsviyVPDpI0b8rDV1ZHxg1wIwevzKFz_yZQN9l_aRg2KW0xFK15r10lqDByi7zY_MS7opF_HIqzyPKYXXlbX_5qLn8q9gpvcQ-i12jZDPMsQDY0wPYUREGDHo9bOd3JfUPaRRTcA8vFx5VVQnr4JPehIcWGAw3rqnuiHN9f1eqUnsJxTowNq3GUtHHUOZooK6DxpVRLuZN26i-UTWA3zHVHrHxAUo4r-gwNwpy6zSa6cxwQenJQ_rsTrgLRzDssFevlP5WUGBj74Tn-XAqT2ZuEEktqZ8q0Kbcybham94jwPLFvngUNqApThX_qXmW3X_edPkPQImgYMdOSEXHkaSqkIUHJcXO4COMpQ9ZqKkqPeCo6xr-21fzIqpPhwIrFCljHGji1GLRS6c7ht3NDT95yZ3bOTDEz_zghUDEKQdSnx5sVeqzROzvu1tlT6nCUAQ=w1266-h950-no

This is usually my hot weather hat, but it worked well for the rain. If you are ever in the market for hats, check out Sunday Afternoons. I am fair-skinned and this hat has been a lifesaver for me. I take it on every trip and love the protection it gives from the sun, rain, etc. The flap can be tucked up under or worn down to keep the sun off your neck. AND...the cord keeps it from blowing away! My hat is quite a few years old and still looks like new! I don't work for this company or anything...I'm just a huge fan!

cream-sport-hat.jpg

Thanks for recommendation on the hat! I went to Cabela's today and tried on several hats by Sunday Afternoons. Great moose picture! Where was this taken?

Patti

Great moose picture! Where was this taken?

We stopped at the Wildlife Conservation Center on our drive from Anchorage to Seward. I was afraid that was going to be the only moose we saw so wanted to get a good photo. ;)

But...on our way back to the airport a few days later we saw a moose at Potter's Marsh. This guy (gal?) was right below the boardwalk and I took about a hundred photos!

IMG_3815.JPG

Edited by AryMay

We stopped at the Wildlife Conservation Center on our drive from Anchorage to Seward. I was afraid that was going to be the only moose we saw so wanted to get a good photo. ;)

AryMay

How much time do you recommend in visiting the Wildlife Conservation Center in Girdwood? I have over 24 hrs in Anchorage before flying out and will have some sightseeing time.

Thanks so much!

Patti

AryMay

How much time do you recommend in visiting the Wildlife Conservation Center in Girdwood? I have over 24 hrs in Anchorage before flying out and will have some sightseeing time.

Thanks so much!

Patti

I don't remember for sure but we probably spent a couple of hours or a little less...and that included time in the gift shop. It was a rainy, yucky day when we were there or we might have stayed longer. You can drive through the park and see many of the animals, but we took time to get out and walk up to the fence enclosures. I had fun taking photos of the animals, but it is basically a zoo.

We had a BOGO coupon for the entrance fee so saved a little on our visit. I just checked the website (https://www.alaskawildlife.org/) and see that the cost has gone up a little...it is now $15/person.