Tube and train to WB Studio for Harry Potter

We have decided to go to the Warner Bros studio to see the Harry Potter set. It is obvious that it is more cost effective to take the tube from Victoria Station to Euston Station, then the train from Euston Station to Watford Junction, then the shuttle to the studio, rather than buy the transportation package. Where can I find the train schedule so we can judge how early to start the trek to the studio? That seems to be the biggest variable. I'm one of those people that would rather arrive early than panic trying to meet the timed admission. I'm not sure which train system we need to take.

We disembark on Aug 27, so I was thinking the 28th. I still need to get us late afternoon Buckingham Palace tickets for the 27th. I've promised dh plenty of time for the Imperial War Museum & Churchill's War Room (29th.), then maybe St Paul's and the HMS Belfast on the 30th. Home on the 31st. That's as much as I dare plan.

When you get back, please post how your trek out there went.

Edited by bconley351

I know you were enquiring about train and tube but have you considered coach transfer?

last year we went with Golden Tours from near Victoria coach station which was a timed bus transfer direct to the Studios with included admission and then transfer back to London

if you go on the Harry Potter website they give options to get there and this is one of their preferred partners

We disembark on Aug 27, so I was thinking the 28th. I still need to get us late afternoon Buckingham Palace tickets for the 27th. I've promised dh plenty of time for the Imperial War Museum & Churchill's War Room (29th.), then maybe St Paul's and the HMS Belfast on the 30th. Home on the 31st. That's as much as I dare plan.

Churchill War rooms could easily take all day - highlights in maybe 2 hours - but the Churchill Museum has enough to keep you there all day - an excellent coverage of British history over the last 150 years.

We've been twice and still not seen everything.

Book tickets in advance to miss the queue.

You are also very close to Houses of Parliament, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square as well. IWM is a bit awkward to get to from CWR.

Edited by SteveH2508

I know you were enquiring about train and tube but have you considered coach transfer?

last year we went with Golden Tours from near Victoria coach station which was a timed bus transfer direct to the Studios with included admission and then transfer back to London

if you go on the Harry Potter website they give options to get there and this is one of their preferred partners

How long did Golden Tours give you to tour the studio? Was it long enough to tour and look through the shop without feeling rushed? That was my consideration on going independently.

• 4 weeks later...
How long did Golden Tours give you to tour the studio? Was it long enough to tour and look through the shop without feeling rushed? That was my consideration on going independently.

sorry didn't reply earlier-link to show replies didn't work

agree with previous poster-3 hours to explore more than enough time.

Because we had timed entry had time to explore gift shop before and after tour-in fact were queuing at the bus stop to return to London 20 mins before

it took me hours to do Buckingham. .there are 3 buildings in the price of the ticekt i had.. in the middle I had lunch and shopped a little.the palce it self about 2 hours.

i tihnk you have not planned enough time for each event.

Thanks everyone. I've decided to use Golden Tours. In fact, if we do the 5 or 6pm entries it costs 13£ Less. I just can't deal with scheduling the tube, train, shuttle schedules. I'm stressed enough getting us and our friends on this vacation.

That site may give the train times, but it is misleading about the cost, as they only give train fares, not Oyster fares, and perversely they are not the same.

What visitors to London don't realise is that Oyster cards can now be used on most train services to stations around 15 to 20 miles outside central London. You can see a map here of which stations you can use Oyster to travel to - https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/london-rail-and-tube-services-map.pdf

To see the cost of getting from A to B with Oyster (and to check that you can use Oyster at the stations) look here - https://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/fares/single-fare-finder

So Euston to Watford Junction at £4.70 each way on Oyster, plus a cab from Watford Junction to the Warner Bros Studios (about £7 each way), seems a lot cheaper and more flexible than an organised tour.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from London and a wonderful trip to the Harry Potter Warner Brothers Studio Tour and wanted to share our experience in case it could help others. I was afraid to do the train without my husband, and since my daughter & I are huge Harry Potter fans, I was not sure the 3 hours allowed by Golden Tours would be enough time so we had a car service take us and pick us just in case.

For an average fan, 3 hours should be plenty of time to see everything. However if you are really into Harry Potter and want to linger over each piece, and if you want to take a photo flying on the broomstick (there is a long line), and if you want to shop afterwards, three hours will not be enough time. We spent over 4 1/2 hours there and easily could have spent more. So take that into consideration and either do the train or drive :)

I'm the OP and thought I'd check back in. After deciding to use Golden Tours, my travel companions decided they didn't want time constraints and wanted to use public transportation. I said I was a little too frazzled to work out the timings for tube, train, shuttle bus, and said I'd be happy to take public trans if they would do the research on time tables. So now I will just sit back and let them tell me what time to be where. Works for me!

I'm the OP and thought I'd check back in. After deciding to use Golden Tours, my travel companions decided they didn't want time constraints and wanted to use public transportation. I said I was a little too frazzled to work out the timings for tube, train, shuttle bus, and said I'd be happy to take public trans if they would do the research on time tables. So now I will just sit back and let them tell me what time to be where. Works for me!

I think you made the right choice! You are going to have a wonderful time there. I noticed that you mentioned travel companions - I'm not really sure the exact cost of the tube/trains but depending on how many of you there are and how much the train tickets are you may want to do a cost comparison between having a car service and taking the train. If there are enough of you it may be cheaper to do a car. We paid 40 pounds each way.

Edited by bjksgk