Another Insurance Question

Tedferg

We have Trip Cancellation for sickness/injury through Chase credit card. Also for $54 for DW and me, United Airlines offers Medical $25,000 and Evacuation $50,000 plus minor trip cancellation, delay, baggage delay.

So it seems we are covered with Chase and United - does Princess coverage at $358 for two offer anything more, except for Cancel For Any Reason ?

BTW we booked through a TA and their trip insurance at $418 seems like Chase plus United. Initially I thought the TA was offering Princess coverage.

$25000 medical is not much coverage. If I were you, I would up that or check out the amounts available under the Princess coverage.

Princess's is pathetic. It is $10,000 and $20,000 depending on which plan.

I always buy 3rd party as my own health care doesn't cover well outside of the US. It is so easy to blow $10,000 in medical. One can do that in an ER room.

I'd also be concerned about evacuation. It don't know where you are going, but medical evacuation can be very expensive. Also,as you know, Medicare does not pay outside the US so if you don't have some kind of supplement that covers emergencies, you may not have adequate coverage with credit card/United combination.

Princess's is pathetic. It is $10,000 and $20,000 depending on which plan.

I always buy 3rd party as my own health care doesn't cover well outside of the US. It is so easy to blow $10,000 in medical. One can do that in an ER room.

We also purchase 3rd party plus we have yearly MedJet coverage.

My DW had a gall bladder attack on one of our Alaskan Cruises and we were medevaced off the ship in Sitka. Three days in the hospital/old folks home, and we were able to leave and fly back to Seattle. The cost was well into 5 digits, way more than 25,000. We flew first class back to Seattle, got half our cruise fee returned (Penthouse Suite), and a one night stay in Seattle to connect with our original flight back home. You need $100,000 or more for CONUS and up to 1MIL for Europe. The main question is how much can you afford if the max is reached? We never cruise without insurance that covers everything, and yes it is cheaper by not using Princess Insurance.

My DW had a gall bladder attack on one of our Alaskan Cruises and we were medevaced off the ship in Sitka. Three days in the hospital/old folks home, and we were able to leave and fly back to Seattle. The cost was well into 5 digits, way more than 25,000. We flew first class back to Seattle, got half our cruise fee returned (Penthouse Suite), and a one night stay in Seattle to connect with our original flight back home. You need $100,000 or more for CONUS and up to 1MIL for Europe. The main question is how much can you afford if the max is reached? We never cruise without insurance that covers everything, and yes it is cheaper by not using Princess Insurance.

What ins?

I'd also be concerned about evacuation. It don't know where you are going, but medical evacuation can be very expensive. Also,as you know, Medicare does not pay outside the US so if you don't have some kind of supplement that covers emergencies, you may not have adequate coverage with credit card/United combination.

Well, that's something I never even though of! Although I am still working, it's good information for the future. I wonder if that is something to take into account with a medigap policy. Or whether these policies don't cover non U.S. travel at all. Thanks for the information.

I have not done research on supplemental policies lately, but I think most of them do cover emergencies while traveling even overseas. I have a Mecicare advantage plan than says it covers such circumstances, but I don't relie on it for international travel. I'm not comfortable with the logistics of contacting them in an emergency and depending on them to respond in a timely manner when I'm out of the country. I feel better about having travel insurance whose business it is to act promptly and handle all the details.

https://www.squaremouth.com/

I saw some good comparisons on this site. Interesting to see the difference between quotes that include Trip Cancellation protection and those that just cover Medical / Evacuation.

$750 - $1,100 for the former and $190 - $250 for the latter.

OK saw some adverse comments about Squaremouth on other threads and praise for Trip Insurance Store - so will give them a call.

OK saw some adverse comments about Squaremouth on other threads and praise for Trip Insurance Store - so will give them a call.

Yes, TripInsuranceStore.com

... Steve and his associates.

(If his associates aren't quite sure about something, they'll bump it up to him, rather than risking an incorrect answer about some uncommon question, etc.)

We purchased a policy with TravelInsured from TripInsuranceStore.com, and had a waiver of pre-existing condition exclusions.

So... there was NO funny business delays, as there was nothing to "investigate", other than verifying what the doctor's signed statement was, plus add up the totals for our non-refundable costs.

GeezerCouple