Very disappointed by Carnival, they outright lied

I need to share this because I don't want it to happen to someone else. I was given all sorts of false information by Carnival and they pushed and pushed until I made a reservation with them. I called to get my past guest number and let the woman know that I had to book through my credit card site to use an $80 certificate. She assured me that I could book with them and then the credit card travel agency could transfer the reservation. I literally asked her several times and went over the fine print on my certificate. She assured me I would be fine. (Commission hungry/willling to lie.) I called the agency, they said they could transfer it no problem. I paid Carnival and then I promptly called the travel agency to be switched over. Carnival absolutely would not transfer the reservation or honor the $80 even though I told them about it repeatedly! Carnival told me all these things and then would not honor it. I asked if I could cancel everything then, only 45 minutes after making the reservation and they said I was now in a "penalty period." Really!?! after a matter of mere minutes. So sad that a company is set up to 100% protect themselves and not be accountable for even a basic level of customer service. In the end, they transferred the reservation, but I won't get the $80 off before I go on my trip. I spent 4.5 hours and lots of tears trying to figure this out. Carnival also refused to give me any onboard credit for my time and hassle. They were actually quite rude and downright mean. So sad! I just had to take the time to post because I would hate for something like to happen to my grandma or someone else.

Please beware!

One mighty stressed out cruiser

I'm sorry this happened, but I've never heard of transferring a reservation booked directly with the cruise line to a TA. How is that possible?:eek:

I don't know about Carnival, but Royal Caribbean allows it within 60 days of booking.

Seems to me that you not getting the $80 is your TA's doing. They're the one who promised you the money to begin with. Now you've booked and transferred the reservation over to them. Why won't they give you the promised $80?

I don't know your situation, but I wouldn't cry over 80 dollars... I would give them HELL. No go on and enjoy your cruise!;)

Seems to me that you not getting the $80 is your TA's doing. They're the one who promised you the money to begin with. Now you've booked and transferred the reservation over to them. Why won't they give you the promised $80?

I don't know your situation, but I wouldn't cry over 80 dollars... I would give them HELL. No go on and enjoy your cruise!;)

I think it's one of those deals when you book with your credit card. I would be calling the CC company. It must be in writing somewhere that he was eligible for the $80??

I wouldnt be crying, but I would be pissed, and I would post it all over the web. For me, it doesnt have anything to do with the amount of money, but just the principal of a salesperson saying whatever it takes to make a sale.

To the OP, you should file a greivance with your credit card company and tell them you got duped and ask your CC company to reverse the charge.

I do feel bad for the OP but the instant someone tries to pressure me into buying something I say no thank you and hang up. Penalty period means the cruise is leaving shortly 60-90 days depending on length and they had to pay full price. I think the bigger question is can you switch after final payment aka penalty period. I'm sure someone knows this. And we all know that the PVP's don't know all of the answers.

I hope OP has a great cruise despite not being able to use thier certificate.

I'm sorry this happened, but I've never heard of transferring a reservation booked directly with the cruise line to a TA. How is that possible?:eek:

With Princess you can transfer a booking from Princess to a TA anytime before making final payment.

No, the problem is that Carnival would NOT transfer the booking to the TA, as is their policy once final payment was made as it was in this case.

It's good you were able to get your booking transferred to your TA.

What I don't understand is that you read the certificate and knew that you'd only get the $80 it you booked through the company that the certificate came from. I'm sorry, but you didn't adhere to the rules of the certificate...it would be like taking an $80 coupon from Khol's and trying to use it at Target. Lesson learned...always read the fine print!

Have fun on your cruise!!!!:)

(Commission hungry/willling to lie.)

Wrong! The people you talk to at Carnival do not work on commission. They might, however, gain recognition with increased bookings.

The problem was yours...You knew you had to book with the credit card company agency to get the $80. Instead, you allowed them to book you and charge it to that card. Not the same. EM

I dont understand why you would call Carnival in the first place? If the rules say "If you book through our TA then you get $80 off" then -- you book through their TA and get it over with..

What was the motivation to contact Carnival?

When we booked our cruise through our TA, they noted that we were past guests (well, that was easy cause we just finished our last cruise two weeks ago) and ensured we recieved past guest perks -- and that would be the only reason i would have needed to contact Carnival..

I also dont understand crying over $80 -- nor demanding compensation from Carnival over a 100% error in judgment on your part.

I dont understand why you would call Carnival in the first place? If the rules say "If you book through our TA then you get $80 off" then -- you book through their TA and get it over with..

What was the motivation to contact Carnival?

When we booked our cruise through our TA, they noted that we were past guests (well, that was easy cause we just finished our last cruise two weeks ago) and ensured we recieved past guest perks -- and that would be the only reason i would have needed to contact Carnival..

I also dont understand crying over $80 -- nor demanding compensation from Carnival over a 100% error in judgment on your part.

Very true! I was thinking of the same thing!

How can someone push you so hard to make a sale over the phone? HANG UP!

I dont understand why you would call Carnival in the first place?

The OP stated that the original purpose of the call was to get his Carnival past guest number in order to have it handy when he eventually called the TA to book the cruise. Nothing wrong with that. The problem started when he couldn't turn down the Carnival rep's offer to handle the booking.

No, the problem is that Carnival would NOT transfer the booking to the TA, as is their policy once final payment was made as it was in this case.

No, the problem is this is a troll. Come on people.........first post, dicey and incorrect info and they never come back. Smells like a troll to me.

The OP stated that the original purpose of the call was to get his Carnival past guest number .

I know I'm being annoying, but calling for a Past Guest number and posting on a First Time cruiser forum? Hmmmm.....

I asked if I could cancel everything then, only 45 minutes after making the reservation and they said I was now in a "penalty period."

I can't comment about the $80 but I do sympathized with you on the cancellation period being only after 45mins.

Archived