Swimming in alaska

yags

We will be going on the Grand to Alaska in June of 2018. We depart from San Francisco. I know the Hot tubs must be a popular Place to be BUT does anyone use the swimming pools? I have never gone North on a cruise before. Only to Mexico and the Caribbean where everyone uses the pool. Thanks for your input.

usually the pools are heated if its cold out and sparsley used. Particularly memorable was being in Ketchikan in the lotus pool in a light rain shower - very nice. I've also been on the Coral when the main pool was warmer than the hottub - I think something was wrong but it was nice to watch MUTS.

We will be going on the Grand to Alaska in June of 2018. We depart from San Francisco. I know the Hot tubs must be a popular Place to be BUT does anyone use the swimming pools? I have never gone North on a cruise before. Only to Mexico and the Caribbean where everyone uses the pool. Thanks for your input.

If you are speaking about going into the pools for a soak or a little swimming the pools are open and yes people do go in for swims. The Grand also has an indoor pool. If you are speaking about sitting around the pools, having a few drinks, being entertained by a pool band this isn't really what an Alaska cruise is all about. You will find some passengers lounging around the 3 outdoor pools (weather permitting) and indoor pool. The grill, pizza and bars are all operating.

We've been on the Grand several times and gone to Alaska several times as well. Yes, there are days when it is nice enough to use the pools ... both indoor and outdoor. The Grand doesn't have particularly warm hot tubs, though ... there might be one that they heat (maybe not, though) but the others are usually just tepid. I don't understand that but it is what it is, I suppose. The water in the pools is cool but think they attempt to heat at least the indoor one somewhat.

Wait for the weather report.

we just got off the Grand RT to Alaska from San Francisco. I commented to my husband, Alaska is one of the only cruises where you can see a person wearing a parka sitting next to a person in a bathing suit. Yes people were swimming, in the outdoor pools (which seemed to be heated) as well as the "indoor" (retractable roof) pool.

If you want to add a little swimming excitement to your cruise Ketchikan has a snorkel excursion that is interesting. They drive you to a location south of town where you get into your wetsuits and they then take you to a location to get in the water. On our trip a humpback whale surfaced very close while we were in the water. It was very large so "close" may be up to interpretation.;) A fun time none the less. :) Hope you enjoy your cruise.