Do they ask to see your credit card at check in?

pompeii

My college-aged son is cruising over spring break out of Port Canaveral. We are trying to figure out the easiest way to handle his on board account and he does not have a credit card in his own name. We would like to just register our card, but we called RCI last night and they said that if he has registered a cc on line, he will have to show the actual card at check in.

We cruise Princess and never have to actually show the card as long as we are using the same one we registered. Does RCI actually check the card at the pier? He could use a debit card but then they will put a hold on his funds above what he actually spends, or give them cash, but then he will have to travel with cash.

Yes you need to have the credit card at check-in, they only ask for the last four digits online but they will swipe the card at check-in.. If he does not have a CC then he can set up a cash account once onboard..

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When I was on allure in 2012 they never asked to see my card which I thought was strange. I'm not sure if that is the general rule or not. You could either get him a prepaid credit card or add him as a user on your card then they will send him a card in his name but for your account and you can remove him anytime you want to. Just a thought

Jamie

My college-aged son is cruising over spring break out of Port Canaveral. We are trying to figure out the easiest way to handle his on board account and he does not have a credit card in his own name. We would like to just register our card, but we called RCI last night and they said that if he has registered a cc on line, he will have to show the actual card at check in.

We cruise Princess and never have to actually show the card as long as we are using the same one we registered. Does RCI actually check the card at the pier? He could use a debit card but then they will put a hold on his funds above what he actually spends, or give them cash, but then he will have to travel with cash.

Yes they will swipe the credit Card at check-in. IIRC when doing the setsail pass you will only enter the last 4 Digits to Register the credit Card, so they absolutely Need the Card at check-in.

If you want your son to use your cc for his cruise - sounds like the best way for you to do that is to add him to your account - they will send a card with his name on it and he can show and swipe that at check in - you can always take him off your account at any time Seems like an easy solution.

Giving him cash might be a better option. Here's my story...

I took my mom on the Brilliance of the Seas leaving out of Copenhagen. Now, it is entirely possible that our issue was because we were in Europe, but it could be a Royal problem across the board.

I'm married, so my mom and I do have different last names, but it turns out that wasn't the problem. They ran my credit card, and it kept getting declined (oh, so embarrassing!!!). I had only charged our hotel on this trip, so I still had a 6 figure open line of credit. It turns out, it was getting declined because my mom is not an authorized user on my card. When it ran through, it was fine for my name, but my bank declined it because it essentially was saying that my mom could not use my card.

Some manager came around and did a workaround, and it took forever. He said this always happens because this is the way their system is set up unless the other adult (who is not an authorized user) puts their own card down. Again, I don't know if this is a RC Europe issue or all around issue. I'm guessing it is not a widespread problem because I'm sure that more people would post about it.

Now, I know that people travel with other people, pick up the tab, etc... But this incident will stay with me and cause me to be extra prepared when traveling with others because I don't want to have to worry about not being able to enjoy the full experience.

I took my mom on the Brilliance of the Seas leaving out of Copenhagen. Now, it is entirely possible that our issue was because we were in Europe, but it could be a Royal problem across the board.

I'm married, so my mom and I do have different last names, but it turns out that wasn't the problem. They ran my credit card, and it kept getting declined (oh, so embarrassing!!!). I had only charged our hotel on this trip, so I still had a 6 figure open line of credit. It turns out, it was getting declined because my mom is not an authorized user on my card. When it ran through, it was fine for my name, but my bank declined it because it essentially was saying that my mom could not use my card.

Some manager came around and did a workaround, and it took forever. He said this always happens because this is the way their system is set up unless the other adult (who is not an authorized user) puts their own card down. Again, I don't know if this is a RC Europe issue or all around issue. I'm guessing it is not a widespread problem because I'm sure that more people would post about it.

Now, I know that people travel with other people, pick up the tab, etc... But this incident will stay with me and cause me to be extra prepared when traveling with others because I don't want to have to worry about not being able to enjoy the full experience.

Sounds as though it was a specific issue where you were which I say only based on my own experience. My mum and I cruised together and used her card. I have a different surname, am not authorised to use her card and there were no issues whatsoever. It is a shame that you had this experience, I can only imagine how embarrassing it must have been for you.

To OP, the 3 times I have cruised, when setting up my onboard account, the CC has been taken and swiped, so I agree with the other who have recommended a cash account.

Jo

Not sure how exactly the Setup was in your case, but I´ve traveled with my Mom many times, including european sailings and sailing out of Copenhagen.

I set up the setsailpass in the way to use my credit Card for both onboard accounts or in other words I check the box being responsible for all onboard charges for both passengers on the booking.

At check-in the two accounts are linked to my credit Card, which is actually run through at check-in. Never had a Problem doing it this way.

When I was on allure in 2012 they never asked to see my card which I thought was strange. I'm not sure if that is the general rule or not. You could either get him a prepaid credit card or add him as a user on your card then they will send him a card in his name but for your account and you can remove him anytime you want to. Just a thought

Jamie

Royal Caribbean do not accept prepaid credit cards, so the easiest IMHO is to set up a cash account and use travellers cheques to make payment. Although I believe travellers cheques are not as readily available in the US as they are here (just ordered and picked my Amex travellers cheques up today for next weeks cruise) in the UK.

Not sure how exactly the Setup was in your case, but I´ve traveled with my Mom many times, including european sailings and sailing out of Copenhagen.

I set up the setsailpass in the way to use my credit Card for both onboard accounts or in other words I check the box being responsible for all onboard charges for both passengers on the booking.

At check-in the two accounts are linked to my credit Card, which is actually run through at check-in. Never had a Problem doing it this way.

It was very weird. It was all set up the same way that you said... I was put down as accepting responsibility of all charges for the cabin. And the entire check in process was excruciatingly slow. Each person was taking a a minimum of 15 minutes to check in because it looked like managers had to keep going to each station to do something on the computer, with some passengers standing at their spots for about 30 minutes. We were standing in line for at least an hour even though there were a lot of check in spots and not many people ahead of us. A far cry from out breezy check in on the Allure!

It could have also been my bank... I don't know. But it was incredibly embarrassing because here I was taking my mom on a very expensive trip of a lifetime, and my getting my card declined! They said it was specifically because it was denying her as an authorized user. It all got straightened out, but it was a crappy 20 minutes!

Is it really safe for a young person or anyone for that matter to go on a vacation without a credit card?

Just saying it is always good to have for the "what if's..."

What did we do years ago, BEFORE credit cards....I realize that must have been the dark ages... it wasn't that long ago since it has been in my lifetime.

I have a similar wonder, when it comes to cellphones....how did we ever travel without them -- even to the grocery store (LOL).

Why not add him as an authorized user to your card? They will send him a card with his name on it. Depending on when he is leaving, you may need to request a rush on the card. Plus it will help him establish a credit rating.

Completely agree

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Is it really safe for a young person or anyone for that matter to go on a vacation without a credit card?

Just saying it is always good to have for the "what if's..."

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. He does have two debit cards which he can use in an emergency. He just didn't want to have RCI hold the funds on one of the cards, which they would if he uses it for charges on his on board account.

I think I like the idea of giving him some OBC - that seems pretty easy. Does anyone know if they will automatically credit whatever isn't used back to the card when the cruise is over?

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. He does have two debit cards which he can use in an emergency. He just didn't want to have RCI hold the funds on one of the cards, which they would if he uses it for charges on his on board account.

I think I like the idea of giving him some OBC - that seems pretty easy. Does anyone know if they will automatically credit whatever isn't used back to the card when the cruise is over?

If you put OBC on the account before the cruise, then any excess will be automatically refunded to the credit card used to secure the onboard account.

You could call your credit card company and see if you can get him added to your account as a secondary spender. They will send him a card in his name. We have a credit card with Chase and that is what we did. They did it with no problem. Only thing we had to do was sign a form they sent us that we had to sign saying we gave the person permission to charge on our account.

Yes they do.