Independence of the Seas - Balcony worth it?

Aeriedk

So my girlfriend and I are looking at a 8 night cruise on the Independence of the Seas to Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Basseterre, St. Kitts; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Labadee, Haiti.

Currently we are trying to decide on what cabin to get and are having some difficulties deciding because its 8 nights so there is no way we are going to do interior.

We were originally looking at a promenade stateroom and we honestly love those but the issue is we may have a 3rd coming (not sure) and if so these rooms do not have a capacity of 3 people.

With 3 People we would be looking at interior (Not doing), Oceanview (Meh, really its always the same view isn't it?), and balcony which is really nice but comes with a cost.

Here is where the issue comes. Cost of the 3 of us in a interior stateroom would be ~850 a person, promenade stateroom for the 2 of us ~1000 a person, skipping oceanview, balcony for the 2 of us would be ~1400 a person and with 3 of us in the balcony room it would be ~1300 a person.

Really I am just trying to figure out the value of a balcony room. I mean its really nice having a balcony room but is it worth $50 a day PP?

Thanks for your thoughts.

So my girlfriend and I are looking at a 8 night cruise on the Independence of the Seas to Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Basseterre, St. Kitts; San Juan, Puerto Rico; Labadee, Haiti.

Currently we are trying to decide on what cabin to get and are having some difficulties deciding because its 8 nights so there is no way we are going to do interior.

We were originally looking at a promenade stateroom and we honestly love those but the issue is we may have a 3rd coming (not sure) and if so these rooms do not have a capacity of 3 people.

With 3 People we would be looking at interior (Not doing), Oceanview (Meh, really its always the same view isn't it?), and balcony which is really nice but comes with a cost.

Here is where the issue comes. Cost of the 3 of us in a interior stateroom would be ~850 a person, promenade stateroom for the 2 of us ~1000 a person, skipping oceanview, balcony for the 2 of us would be ~1400 a person and with 3 of us in the balcony room it would be ~1300 a person.

Really I am just trying to figure out the value of a balcony room. I mean its really nice having a balcony room but is it worth $50 a day PP?

Thanks for your thoughts.

YES. Take it from me, we have stayed in everything from insides to suites, go for the balcony if you can afford it.

We used to always book a balcony at minimum, but around 2007, we started bargain hunting and staying in insides, promenade rooms, and oceanviews. We just had a balcony last week on Freedom of the Seas (identical sistership to Indy) and I don't know if I will ever go back again. We got so spoiled by the balcony on Freedom after not having one for years.

The balconies on Freedom and Indy are huge, much bigger than we have had on other ships, and we just had a standard deck 9 balcony. It opens up the room, it makes the room feel twice as big and eliminates the claustrophobia. Theres nothing better than having breakfast or a bottle of chardonnay on the balcony.

I'll include a couple of pictures. If you can afford it, definitely do it, especially on a longer cruise.

006.jpg

097.jpg

597.jpg

Promenades only hold 2...however, even if you book a cabin that will hold 3, there's no guarantee that they will allow you to add another person later. It's best to book for 3 now, and cancel the 3rd person.

I think a balcony is a must...but not everyone wants them...it's up to you!

Thanks for the replies. Personally Im leaning towards the balcony, however my girlfriend isn't sure how much it will be used so more to discuss.

Thanks again.

Hey Aeriedk!

We love the balcony, you must try it :) This picture are from Liberty of the seas when vent to port in San Juan. (The date is wrong it was in March 2011, i forgot to set the camera date)

30th june 2012 we sail with "Indy" 14 days in the "med" also balcony :)

Best regards Krydstosser

206457_210793692280781_100000504565296_784976_3625272_n.jpg.3d930322f61c9af8a4995e4f29c79f8c.jpg

to the -people stating a balcony is the way to go-- was your balcony cabin your first cruise?

3 sea days.

ports until 6pm- then getting ready for dinner.

1,000 pp for a promanade ? holy crap boy that is a lot of money

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

once you have a balcony room, it's hard to go back to anything else. I love waking up in the morning and opening the balcony door for the fresh air. I love being on the balcony as the ship pulls into the different ports. I have noticed that people with the inner rooms always have their door open when they are in them (except for sleeping)because it's so tight. IMO, the balcony is well worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...

Balconies are great, especially on sea days. There will be times when you will want to kick back and relax away from all the activities on the ship.

Your balcony is a nice place to be at sail away. Or, maybe in the morning order room service breakfast and sit outside on your balcony. Or in the evening, sit outside and watch the sunset.

Anytime is a good time to relax on the balcony! We always have one and have never regretted it.

Edited by JimAOk1945

• 3 months later...

I'm on Indy for my first ever cruise in just a few weeks. We have an interior cabin (6509) purely due to cost. I'd love a balcony so very much, but it's an extra £1000 :(

I'm on Indy for my first ever cruise in just a few weeks. We have an interior cabin (6509) purely due to cost. I'd love a balcony so very much, but it's an extra £1000 :(

That IS a big difference..funny, here in the States, the difference is usually just a few hundred $$...maybe some day....

Big Al