Dining with Allergies

kimlet

I have a peanut allergy and egg allergy, i know this question has been asked multiply times but this is my first cruise ever and I was wondering about the dining. Should I do the dining rooms or would I be safe trying the WJ.

Emailed RC and they put it in my reservation, but I totally forgot about my allergies when I booked so were doing the MTD.

Any ideas would be helpful.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=Hundt Family Cruise&date=3-16-2015&text=&ship=Enchantment of the Seas

You really should talk to someone at RCI -- not just e-mail to be certain that it is in your reservation.

Once you get on the ship, you need to talk to the dining room manager. Each evening you should get the next evening's dinner menu if you are having dinner in the main dining room. That way you can see what is available and request certain dished to be made that do not contain the items you are allergic to.

Also if your allergy is severe enough that you need an EpiPen, please please please carry your Epi Pen!!

I'm an RN who encounters multiple patients that have been prescriebd Epi Pens but haven't got them refilled in years or don't carry them on their body - bad enough situation at home, but even worse when you are on a ship in the middle of the ocean!

Edited by Krissica

You have been given great advice and you are not alone when it comes to food allergies.

Yes, you or your travel agent should contact RCI. They will note this in your records.

Once on board you should speak with the Maitre d' and they will get things set up for you.

Have a wonderful time.

Keith

Good to see another RN on here. ;)

Also if your allergy is severe enough that you need an EpiPen, please please please carry your Epi Pen!!

I'm an RN who encounters multiple patients that have been prescriebd Epi Pens but haven't got them refilled in years or don't carry them on their body - bad enough situation at home, but even worse when you are on a ship in the middle of the ocean!

I have severe allergies also (shellfish) and have sailed on Royal Caribbean.

Definitely write to Special Needs, and speak to the maitre d' when you arrive at the dining room. Also speak to the waiter and assistants. They try very hard to be helpful

The Windjammer is another animal completely. Even if food has been prepared without an offending ingredient, some passenger may double dip a serving utensil and introduce an allergen. Speak to a uniformed officer in the buffet for assistance. Some things may need to be made specially for you (sandwiches, pasta dishes). If you can, stick to seated service when possible.

Ultimately, you have to be very diligent as it is your responsibility. Carry your Epipen at all times. Carry Benadryl.

I'm not trying to scare you, just stating what I've experienced. Have a wonderful cruise!

I too have a severe allergy to shellfish (and bee stings, but that isn't a dining issue). I found the Dining staff very responsive. It is much easier to control in the dining room. My biggest concern in the buffet is cross contaimenation by passengers who don't realize the risk they are taking for others when they move and share serving utensils. I did not bother to select thenight before, but my dining server after the first night made a point to tell me what on the menu I couldn't have and what he could get special made (not all items can be changed on board). As stated above please carry an EpiPen if you have one. I have had this allergy for over 20 years, and the first time it reacted I was very, VERY lucky that someon in the cafe with me recognized what was happening and had one. Now I never travel anywhere without it!