Hearing your music/movie on a plane

rjack22

The last time I flew I tried to watch a movie on my netbook, however I found that I couldn't hear it using ear buds even with full volume over the noise on the plane. Just wasn't loud enough. I am wondering what I can do to improve this? Do I need to invest in noise cancelling headphones or something? Do they work well?

I have Bose headphones and use them all the time, even when not traveling. They work very well, though I never understand people posting that they block out the sound of crying children, etc., because they don't.

The warranty on them is very good also. I think they are worth it, but you certainly could find a less expensive brand that would probably work for you.

I have Sennheiser noise-cancelling headphones, and they work wonderfully well. I chose them over the Bose primarily because of the size and portability, though I've heard great things about the Bose too. There is a noticable improvement on an airplane when I turn the noise-cancelling feature on (there is an on-off switch, allowing me to save battery power when I don't need that feature).

I have had the Bose QC15's for a few years now. The come in a nice hard shell case (can be a little bulky if you are tight on space). They require a AAA battery so I always toss an extra one in the case before i fly. They eliminate the background noise of the engines, but as others have said you can still hear people, babies, etc. ( not as loud but you can still hear it). I love them and would not travel without them again. Just be aware of the cost...about $300..at tad pricy but well worth it in my opinion.

I have had the Bose QC15's for a few years now. The come in a nice hard shell case (can be a little bulky if you are tight on space). They require a AAA battery so I always toss an extra one in the case before i fly. They eliminate the background noise of the engines, but as others have said you can still hear people, babies, etc. ( not as loud but you can still hear it). I love them and would not travel without them again. Just be aware of the cost...about $300..at tad pricy but well worth it in my opinion.

I've got these, too. Love 'em! My iTouch fits in the case with the headphones, so no big deal. In the little mesh compartment, I have 2 spare batteries and one of the adapter plugs that let me plug in the headphones to the 2-prong audio jacks you find on the planes (in case I want to listen to one of their movies or playlists). They are pretty comfy for me, too. I've had them on for entire LONG trips (Nairobi-London, Cairo-JFK, Amman-JFK, LHR-LAX). I'll fall asleep with them on and it' not a problem. Best money I've spent for a travel item. They've more than made the money I paid for them worth it.

Sony makes noice-canceling headphones (for about $60) that fold up and can be put in the little pouch that comes with them. They might take up slightly less room if portability is a concern. Obviously they're not top-of-the-line, but they do reduce noise a bit. They also have an on-off switch if you don't need the noise-reduction function.

Before I got my Bose, I always used my Shure E3C earbuds. They are noise-isolating earbuds. Shure E3Cs were a favorite of musicians to isolate their particular instruments/voice to meld with the others. When inserted properly (you absolutely must read and follow the instructions), they do block out the cabin noise. They were pricey ($179), but worth the price.

Shure now has the SE series of noise-isolating buds. Prices start at about $100. See if you can find AND try these. You really do need to try them to see if they fit comfortably for you - nothing worse than great earbuds that you hate to wear ;)

Sounds like noise cancelling headphones are the way to go. I just hate the bulk they will take up in my carry on. Ear buds are much easier to tote.

I don't bring mine in the case. I just put them in a ziplock bag. Case is too bulky when you're trying to travel light.

At $300 i'll keep mine in the protective case when not in use;)

I keep mine in the case, too. Good place to keep the 'phones, iTouch, extra batteries and 1-2 adapter together. Plus, my Mountain Hardware daypack that I usually have with me as my cabin bag has a mesh helmet holder on the front - the case and a few other things fit comfortably in there for very easy access!

The warranty is so good, I don't care!

I bought Bose headphones - worst $300 I ever spent. Used them twice in a 6 week period. They stopped working. Took it back to the store where I bought them. Gave me a replacement set. Worked twice again. Took it back to the store and was told that I was no longer in "return" time. I said, but I just got the replacement pair a week ago. Yes, but we go from the original purchase. Bose won't take them back after a short time either. My headphones sit on top of my DVD cabinet and are not worth the bag they are wrapped in. How did you get a good warranty?

Edited by notentirelynormal

I bought Bose headphones - worst $300 I ever spent. Used them twice in a 6 week period. They stopped working. Took it back to the store where I bought them. Gave me a replacement set. Worked twice again. Took it back to the store and was told that I was no longer in "return" time. I said, but I just got the replacement pair a week ago. Yes, but we go from the original purchase. Bose won't take them back after a short time either. My headphones sit on top of my DVD cabinet and are not worth the bag they are wrapped in. How did you get a good warranty?

They have a one year warranty. I don't know why you had this problem. I'd be taking them back as you were misinformed.

After you are out-of-warranty, you can bring back the old ones, and trade them in for a new pair at a very reduced price.

I have Sennheiser noise-cancelling headphones, and they work wonderfully well. I chose them over the Bose primarily because of the size and portability, though I've heard great things about the Bose too. There is a noticable improvement on an airplane when I turn the noise-cancelling feature on (there is an on-off switch, allowing me to save battery power when I don't need that feature).

I, too, have Sennheiser. They used to be standard on BA and that is where I was first exposed to them. So bought a pair about 6 years ago. They have literally been around the world twice and been dragged through the dirt bouncing in my suitcase in Kuwait, Afghanistan, Iraq, thrown in and out of helicopters in my suitcase and are still working. They work absolutely great on those very, very noisy military air flights I sometimes have to take. And much more stylish and smaller than those giant things the military gives you to use if you are flying mil air. Those giant ear muff type noise protectors make you look like you are suiting up for a bio hazard event or are going to the shooting range.

I am sold on the Sennheisers.

They have a one year warranty. I don't know why you had this problem. I'd be taking them back as you were misinformed.

After you are out-of-warranty, you can bring back the old ones, and trade them in for a new pair at a very reduced price.

I took the first pair back after 3 months. I took the second pair back a month later. Best Buy said - sorry - take them back to the factory. That was it and it was also the last time I shopped at Best Buy, one of my favorite stores.

I bought them specifically because when I fly I want to be able to hear my movies and not the others around me.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I have a pair of V-moda noise cancelling headphones. Only problem is they are full headphones, not earbuds - and as such do take up a bit of space. They come with a travel case though and they're so comfortable as well as very effective for noise. I literally cannot even hear my husband when he's sitting right next to me talking if I have them on. They are superb quality and also come with an immortal life guarantee because they're so sturdy. Downside is they set me back $200 but they make travelling a lot easier for me.

I took the first pair back after 3 months. I took the second pair back a month later. Best Buy said - sorry - take them back to the factory. That was it and it was also the last time I shopped at Best Buy, one of my favorite stores.

I bought them specifically because when I fly I want to be able to hear my movies and not the others around me.

I hate Best Buy. Unfortunately, Bose won't accept returns from products purchased from other retailers, but even Best Buy's webpage states they have a one year warranty. Take them back to Best Buy and talk to a manager. Personally, I would not give up on this. Good luck.