What equipment to take?

hamacting

Hi, first post here, so please be gentle :)

I'm going on my first cruise in June, (Western Med, RCI). Going with my wife & kids (15 & 13), they have cruised before. They are not desperately keen on doing much onshore, so we will be mostly staying onboard.

Now... what photo equipment to take?

I'm competent enough with my Canon 5D Mk II (flickr link is in my sig), but I also know how heavy it is. Luggage weight is going to be an issue since we are flying by Ryanair to the embarkation point (heaven help us all).

So option B is to restrict myself to the Canon G7X - a remarkably polished little fellow, good up to about ISO800 and 100mm equivalent.

Question is: would that be too restrictive? Would those of you who are photo hobbyists find it too restrictive?

Any thoughts appreciated, thank you!

I'm going on my first cruise in June, (Western Med, RCI). Going with my wife & kids (15 & 13), they have cruised before. They are not desperately keen on doing much onshore, so we will be mostly staying onboard.

I'm competent enough with my Canon 5D Mk II (flickr link is in my sig), but I also know how heavy it is. Luggage weight is going to be an issue since we are flying by Ryanair to the embarkation point (heaven help us all).

So option B is to restrict myself to the Canon G7X - a remarkably polished little fellow, good up to about ISO800 and 100mm equivalent.

Question is: would that be too restrictive? Would those of you who are photo hobbyists find it too restrictive?

This is a response to your post not not really an answer to your question. If your wife and kids want to stay on the ship, what is keeping you from going onshore by yourself? Am I missing something?

With regard to your camera question, if you do spend much of your time on the ship, there is not much to photograph so it really makes no difference what camera you take.

DON

I have an RX100, the cousin of the GX7. I carry it on vacation, along with a full frame dSLR set-up. There may be days when I want to go light, and I'll just carry the smaller camera. But if photography is a major part of the trip, then I want the "big gun." Doing the Western Mediterranean, I assume you will get many rare photo chances.

So for me, I'd pack my camera bag with my dSLR, 2-4 of my go-to lenses, and my RX100. When I'm just wandering around the ship, I may just have my RX100. If there is a port where I want/need to be lightweight, the RX100. But I'll plan a couple mornings/nights for sunrise/sunset pics, with my dSLR. For the more photogenic ports, I'd want the big camera.

Depends on what you're hoping to come home with. If you want to come home with some nice family snapshots to stick on facebook, your G7X will do very well. If you want some "awe" photographs to either share with others, or for your own satisfaction as a photographer, then bring the dSLR as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may go off once or twice, but it is a family holiday... :-)

The question of just how many shots that need the "big iron" is what's bugging me... maybe I just need to wait and see how the weight works out...

Hi, first post here, so please be gentle. I'm going on my first cruise in June, (Western Med, RCI). Going with my wife & kids (15 & 13), they have cruised before. They are not desperately keen on doing much onshore, so we will be mostly staying onboard. Now... what photo equipment to take? I'm competent enough with my Canon 5D Mk II (flickr link is in my sig), but I also know how heavy it is. Luggage weight is going to be an issue since we are flying by Ryanair to the embarkation point (heaven help us all). So option B is to restrict myself to the Canon G7X - a remarkably polished little fellow, good up to about ISO800 and 100mm equivalent. Question is: would that be too restrictive? Would those of you who are photo hobbyists find it too restrictive? Any thoughts appreciated, thank you!

Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards!! Glad you are asking good questions prior to your cruise. Personally, I am not as familiar with the differences in weight and options for a Canon G7X versus Canon 5D Mk II. Tell us a little more.

My first reaction/question is to learn more about . . . why you would do a western Med cruise and spend most of your time on the ship? What ports will you be visiting? Where do you depart from and return to? There are some super great locations/options in these areas. Would hate to see you and your family miss some of these many wonderful sights, architecture, history, culture, food, shopping, etc.

With the great technology improvements with digital cameras in recent year, not sure that you need to worry about having . . . the "big iron"!! The smaller, less fancy cameras can get great results, assuming you are not having some needs for huge enlargements. My view, philosophy, approach?? Travel light, be agile, operate quick and easy, etc.!!

As we learn more from you, we will be happy to share added tips and ideas. Just got back from a 26-day Amazon River and Caribbean cruise. Took lots and lots of pictures, did a live/blog, etc., as a I posted a year ago for Australia and New Zealand adventures.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 195,830 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thank you for the welcome, Terry!

Let's try to answer this... the 5D Mk II is a Canon full-frame SLR - over 4lb with a 24-105mm lens. The G7X is under 1/2 a pound, with a 24-100mm (equivalent) lens.

I'm not sure whether I will be a "cruiser" or not - that's one of the really fun things about going! My wife & kids have loved going cruising with her parents, for various reasons I've never been able to make it along until now.

So, I am going to places they have already been - they love life onboard and are not terribly motivated to leave the ship (as I say, they've already done the landward exploring). I am happy to strike off on my own from time to time, but it's a family holiday and I want to spend time with the family.

OTOH, I am enough of a photographer to want to come back with some decent shots... I know that the G7X is effectively as good as the SLR in good light conditions, but is poor in low light. And there is the dilemma - how often will I want to be using it in low light?

Maybe I should read other people's trip reports... Off now to look at yours :-)

Oh, I should have said: end of June, seven-night RCI cruise ex Barcelona, calling at Mallorca, Marseilles and three separate locations in Italy

Edited by hamacting

First, let me add a bit of unsolicited advice to echo the others: leave your family by the pool and go ashore, wander the streets for a few hours. They've seen it all? They should tell you the key spots to visit, then they'll be eager to view your photos when you come back onboard. Sounds like good family fun to me.

But on topic... I carry 3 cameras (all Pentax): a small waterproof that lives in my pocket, an APS-C and a medium format which is slightly larger than your 5D. I can't imagine leaving any of them at home, for me a major reason to travel/cruise is to see and photograph different things. When I do choose to travel light on a given shore excursion, my major concern usually is more about needed ISO than about resolution. I can do decent harbor shots with the small camera, but in the scenic alleyways or cathedrals I want 6400 or 12800 and for that I go for the mid-size APS-C body (+ longer lenses) or larger body ( + wider lenses). In the end, if you enjoy the trip and bring back good memories, nothing else much matters.

I booked our cruise about 7 weeks ago, and since then I have been asking myself the same questions... and this weekend I decided enough was enough. So for me it will be three cameras... the DSLR (with 24-105, 70-200 and 16-35 lenses), the small APS-C and a waterproof camera. For 3 of the islands we will be visiting the DSLR will follow, but at St Croix, where we will be doing the ATV, SeaDoo tour it will be the waterproof point and shoot. At the islands where we'll do mostly beach it will be the regular point and shoot.

I was also thinking of all the extra weight and huge back pack when carrying the DLSR, so I went off and bought a PacSafe V12 sling bag this weekend. DSLR and the three lenses fit into the bag, as well as my 2X converter. And it is very practical to carry and won't be a nuissance or to massive.

Why? Because I know myself, and when I come back home and print and display the best pictures I would have regretted not bringing the DSLR along. And as the wife said, why did you bother buying the great equipment if you don't bring it along.

On other hand, I won't want to be tied down to the camera at all times, as I want us to both enjoy and have fun. But when I need the top gun I know it will be there for me.

But I agree it was not easy to take as a decision.... weight, size, convenience were all factors to consider.

Counting down the days... 19 to go, woohoo!!

James

I have been on an RCI Western Med cruise and carry three cameras to the boat. My DLSR, a bridge camera with a long zoom and something that fits in my pocket. I do not check them. I worry more about baggage handlers than weight. They are in my rolling carry-on. I was glad to have all three, but I got off the boat and explored at each port. I don't carry all three at each port, although I do keep them in a backpack so the added weight beyond the SLR does not seem to be a problem. You may find that there are not a lot of teenagers staying on board and your family might be interested in doing something on shore.

Good luck

Do you vacation to photograph or photograph your vacation? I'm more of the second but with some serious equipment for other captures.

I've done everything from taking a mirrorless with two zooms that fit in my pocket to a backpack with two FX bodies and the holy trinity. While the snapshots for the second were superior I found that I enjoyed the vacation far more going light. Yeah the images weren't as good but they were plenty good enough for the memories I wanted. I had no need to prove or show anything, just capture memories...

So again.. vacationing to photograph or photograph the vacation :D

Hmmm... decisions, always decisions :-)

Definitely the G7X. Definitely a waterproof camera too. I guess I just need to see how much space I have left when I have packed, and work out whether I can squeeze the 5D in!

Many thanks for all the suggestions

/alan

Making the decisions regarding the gear to take are always a wee bit easier when you know the type of shots you want to capture.

Currently I travel with a 5D3, 5D2 and small P&S, however until last year I also had a G10 for the wife. The G10 could do everything the 5D did, just not as conveniently and not as well in low light.

Having worked on cruise ships and latterly extensively as a passenger, the ship for us is the primary reason for taking a cruise. For us, ports are an additional bonus, but if we don't go ashore no big deal. Therefore, I take many photographs around the ship.

For most of the photos around the ship, sunrises/sunsets, theatre, atrium, etc I prefer using the dSLR, therefore I would give up other stuff to bring the 5D2, if weight was an issue.

I also recently bought a new bag, which carries all my gear and laptop in a single backpack. This is now my only carry-on luggage.

• 3 months later...

So, I'm back. In the end I took the G7X and used it as my main camera throughout the cruise. However, I wasn't quite brave enough to commit myself to that, and I also brought along my old Canon 350D with the 70-200mm in case I wanted to shoot anything a little further away.

I only used the 350D for a few shots, the G7X generally performed fairly well. Exactly how well, I shall have to wait until I process my photos to find out.

The only time I was truly aware of the G7X not being up to the job was when I was shooting one of the ice shows. The wee camera's contrast detection focusing mechanism just could not keep up with the speed of the skaters.

But for the rest of the time the G7X had the focal range I wanted, it has a lovely wide, fast lens and noise is well controlled and manageable. Of slightly more concern is chromatic aberration, but that was always going to be a problem with bright sun on hard-edged, brilliant white painted surfaces.

The ability to switch to video was also very useful for a holiday camera; I know that SLRs can also do video but I have never found them as convenient as small cameras.

Overall I am very pleased with the performance of the G7X, and will post some photos soon to verify that :-)

I take pretty much the same

5dii

g1x though new G3X looks darn good

I also take EOS M

so, i'm back. In the end i took the g7x and used it as my main camera throughout the cruise. However, i wasn't quite brave enough to commit myself to that, and i also brought along my old canon 350d with the 70-200mm in case i wanted to shoot anything a little further away.

I only used the 350d for a few shots, the g7x generally performed fairly well. Exactly how well, i shall have to wait until i process my photos to find out.

The only time i was truly aware of the g7x not being up to the job was when i was shooting one of the ice shows. The wee camera's contrast detection focusing mechanism just could not keep up with the speed of the skaters.

But for the rest of the time the g7x had the focal range i wanted, it has a lovely wide, fast lens and noise is well controlled and manageable. Of slightly more concern is chromatic aberration, but that was always going to be a problem with bright sun on hard-edged, brilliant white painted surfaces.

The ability to switch to video was also very useful for a holiday camera; i know that slrs can also do video but i have never found them as convenient as small cameras.

Overall i am very pleased with the performance of the g7x, and will post some photos soon to verify that :-)

ssounds good.

Well, I've now started processing the pics. Guess what, I have realised I can tell the difference between the 350D (Rebel XT) with the "L" lens and the G7X. And there were occasions, especially the ice shows, where the 350D would have been a better choice.

Anyway, there are a few pics (8) in a thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2231043#

If you're interested in what the G7X can do (albeit with a bit of editing), that's an example

That 1" sensor is sweet leaves the 1/2.3 s for dead in my humble opinion.

Great in low light too

The newer one in the RX-10 IV and RX-100 II with the embedded DRAM is a game-changer in my opinion. All the benefits of the one in the RX-100 III and the G7X with a huge boost in readout speed and 4K video with simultaneous 17MP stills.

I love my A6000 but if there's a APS-C version of that sensor in the next model, it will be my backup camera in a heartbeat!

It is a great time to be a photographer!

Dave

It is a great time to be a photographer!

Dave

In some ways, though a real part of me misses the days of full manual, separate meter, or just guess, flash guise numbers that you had to understand, spilt screen focusing, or even rangefinder or viewfinder and again guess.

In some ways, though a real part of me misses the days of full manual, separate meter, or just guess, flash guise numbers that you had to understand, spilt screen focusing, or even rangefinder or viewfinder and again guess.

My friend, believe me when I say that I have been there and done that. Right down to sitting in a darkened closest loading my own cartridges from a spool of Ilford HP5.

I repeat, is a great time to be à photographer! :)

Dave

So, for what it's worth, I have now completed a photo review of the trip. The majority of pictures were taken with the G7X. Of course they were run through a bit of Lightroom to clean them up, but it gives an idea of what the G7X can do.

Find it at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2232429 - happy to discuss technical aspects of it here

So, for what it's worth, I have now completed a photo review of the trip. The majority of pictures were taken with the G7X. Of course they were run through a bit of Lightroom to clean them up, but it gives an idea of what the G7X can do.

Find it at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2232429 - happy to discuss technical aspects of it here

Nice photos, looked like a good time, that is a big ship :eek: