Flights from Venice to JFK

midwestchick

This will be our route home after our cruise. I've read about people being able to see the Alps flying over Europe. Is this a possibility on our return flight from VCE to JFK? I know sometimes routes change due to weather, etc. but can anyone tell me what the "normal" route is?

There is no "normal" route that you can rely upon. It's likely that you will fly over some of the Alps, but no guarantees.

You may want to look at the Great Circle Mapper. It can give you the great circle route, which is the shortest distance. Your flight will travel along roughly that path, but can easily change that due to weather and upper level wind patterns.

Great Circle Mapper is HERE.

The specific route from VCE to JFK is HERE.

You can also look up the actual flight patterns of past flights from various flight tracking websites.

I know there is no "normal" for flights....LOL Maybe I should have said "usual" but we all know that can change too.

Thanks for the links.

"IF" we fly over the Alp, approximately how many hours from VCE before we do that? I want to make sure I'm awake.

It wouldn't take long at all, I imagine. I've never done the route, or flown out of Venice for that matter, but the Alps start not too far from Venice, especially when you consider aircraft speeds. My guess would be they would be popping up within 30 minutes, and you'd be over Switzerland within an hour. Just a guess.

Also a guess, backed with common sense - sitting on the right side would be best.

When I flew to Venice a few years ago I remember seeing the Alps on the way into Venice from Paris. The captain came on over the loud speaker and told us when to look out the window. It was just a 2 hour flight though so I'm not sure if they would do it on a longer flight.

I don't recall if we passed them or not flying from Venice into JFK. Sorry.

Thanks for the replies. I read on here somewhere that someone flew from Rome??? and saw the Alps so I was hoping...if it happens good...if not that's okay.

A&B seats into VCE....F&G seats out of VCE. :D Flights were booked 2 months ago. YAPTA is watching my flight to see if it drops, but so far, they have only continued to go up.

You will definitely fly over the alps. Whether it's the Swiss Alps, the Austrian Alps, the Dolomites, the Julian Alps or the French Alps, you'll fly over some of them.

Here is a map of "upper airway" routes in Europe

upperairwayseurope.gif

("Upper airway" means corridors once planes have reached altitude - routes used for close-in operations to terminals, or climb/descend routes aren't shown; if they were, there wouldn't be much map left.)

As you can see, there are a lot of lines leaving the Venice area to the northwest, the route your plane will take. There's no escaping mountains below those lines.

We clearly saw the southern Alps in Italy as we flew over them PHL to FCO. The pilot pointed them out--maybe an hour prior to landing. You'll want to be on the left side of the plane on the way to Italy for the best view.

We clearly saw the southern Alps in Italy as we flew over them PHL to FCO. The pilot pointed them out--maybe an hour prior to landing. You'll want to be on the left side of the plane on the way to Italy for the best view.

I am on the left side flying in...right side flying out. :D

Gardyloo....thanks for the map.

I have flown over the Alps many times. On my flight from Paris-Milan and Rome-Paris going to and from Israel we flew over the Alps. I would say the flight could take off directly East from Venice to New York as well so your chances of flying over them are 50-50.

Archived