Just booked first cruise to Bermuda (after 4 to the Bahamas). Want to rent a pontoon

mjkacmom

boat as our main excursion (beaching it the rest of the time - my family loves nice wavy beaches - 30 miles from the jersey shore). First week of June, so I was thinking 4 hours in the afternoon, because it's warmer, and my 5 kids (ages 14 - 20) wouldn't have to wake up early. But did we then just waste a morning? I'm guessing a bus/ferry pass would be cheapest to get around, although our family would fit into a mini-bus? Not sure if the price difference.

I'm looking forward to not having to purchase a hotel day pass to enjoy beautiful beaches!

It's a waste of time to discuss the details of your transportation options for a cruise next year because they change the offerings and prices every year just prior to the start of the cruise season in April. The general rule of thumb is that the public bus and ferry system will be the cheapest option, but it may not always be the best option for you depending on where you want to go and when.

I can't comment on boat rentals as it's not something we do. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Edited by njhorseman

There are several places that do Pontoon boat rentals, just make sure you reserve ahead. Morning is less chance of pop-up storms usually so consider that. It's vacation in paradise - don't sleep in!

One of the rental places is right there at Dockyards. Others will require you to get around. Taxies are expensive like everything is in Bermuda. You can buy passes (1 or multi-day) and tokens for use on ferries and buses at the visitor centers right there at the docks.

Research the ferry routes and bus lines if you plan to do that, and know where you are going so you don't miss the stop.

I believe the minibuses are for transportation to the beaches, or to hire for private tours. Not completely sure about what other options exit for those. I believe they need a minimum of 7 passengers.

Good luck planning. I am planning for our October visit.

Not sure you can rent a pontoon boat at the Dockyard any where. I have been to Bermuda 8 times and never seen it at the Dockyard. We rented one about three years ago from Somerset Watersports in Somerset Bridge. There is also H2O Watersports in Somerset. I think that both of them offer pontoon boats. Best to look them up on their websites and see what they offer. There is also another rental place in St. George. The two in Somerset are about 2-3 bus stops from the Dockyard and very easy to get to by riding the bus. Make sure you check them out because one of them had some damage done to their pontoon boat last year by the hurricane that hit Bermuda and they had not replaced it yet. You have plenty of time to check it out but the sooner you make the reservation the more likely you are to get the time and day you want. They did not require any down payment when I did it three years ago. The send you a confirmation email and that is your proof of rental.

Not sure you can rent a pontoon boat at the Dockyard any where. I have been to Bermuda 8 times and never seen it at the Dockyard. We rented one about three years ago from Somerset Watersports in Somerset Bridge. There is also H2O Watersports in Somerset. I think that both of them offer pontoon boats. Best to look them up on their websites and see what they offer. There is also another rental place in St. George. The two in Somerset are about 2-3 bus stops from the Dockyard and very easy to get to by riding the bus. Make sure you check them out because one of them had some damage done to their pontoon boat last year by the hurricane that hit Bermuda and they had not replaced it yet. You have plenty of time to check it out but the sooner you make the reservation the more likely you are to get the time and day you want. They did not require any down payment when I did it three years ago. The send you a confirmation email and that is your proof of rental.

If there are no pontoons available there may be Boston Whalers available that can accommodate five. They should contact the places now and make a reservation if they will take them now because next June with all the America's Cup races in June who knows what will be available for rent.

Personally I have been to Bermuda the last three June's and I am skipping June next year because of the races. I am not interested in the races and given the road and transportation situation in and out of the Dockyard I don't want to chance being there then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

The dates for the America's Cup pretty much take up the entire month of June. The first qualifying rounds start on May 26th and the last race day is listed as June 27th with new events and happenings each week. If your cruise can be changed to a different month, I would change it now. Bermuda is a small island and will be very congested for the entire month. They are already selling "America Cup" merchandise in the stores at the Dockyard. I would hate to have you have a terrible time in Bermuda because you can't get around. It is a beautiful island and needs time to be explored.

The dates for the America's Cup pretty much take up the entire month of June. The first qualifying rounds start on May 26th and the last race day is listed as June 27th with new events and happenings each week. If your cruise can be changed to a different month, I would change it now. Bermuda is a small island and will be very congested for the entire month. They are already selling "America Cup" merchandise in the stores at the Dockyard. I would hate to have you have a terrible time in Bermuda because you can't get around. It is a beautiful island and needs time to be explored.

Thanks - can't really switch dates, I have 3 teens plus 2 in college, dates are hard. Much have to switch to the Bahamas again!

Ugh I'm booked for May 28 on Breakaway and just found out about Americas Cup. I'm not pleased about the added congestion but since we have coordinated 16 adults for that date, there's no changing it now. Maybe it won't be so bad during the qualifying rounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums