How old is too old?

Californiacruizers

Trying to decide if a stroller is a must have on our next cruise. My dd will be 3.5 years old at the time of sailing. On our previous cruise we had a very nice lightweight stroller, which was very useful when in port and on the ship. My dd is quite tall so the stroller is somewhat of a tight fit for her now. I am trying to decide if I should buy a new stroller or simply refrain from brining this time. I just dont want to be get stuck having to carry a 3.5 year old in the hot humid climate.

We took our 3.5 year old on a Baltic cruise and found the stroller to be really helpful at the Hermitage, and through the fountains at Peterhof. Our son had outgrown a stroller on an everyday basis, but given the amount of intense touring we were doing it was necessary in St Petersburg, although we skipped it in all the other cities since we didn't want to have to drag it around everywhere else and St. Petersburg was the most intensive touring. It really does depend upon your itinerary and how long you will need to walk and if you have arranged private transportation where you can store the stroller easily when you don't need it.

If you use one at home, you will definitely need it on the ship...tons and tons of walking...and if you child will nap in it...it gives you much more freedom on the ship! In ports, there can be a lot of walking, too....I'd bring it, just in case.....nothing worse than having to carry a tired child in hot, humid weather!

I brought a stroller as late as 5 years old when we did a sightseeing-heavy itinerary. Much rather have the stroller and be able to keep going, rather than have to return to the ship because of a tired, whining kid. I've found the key to successful travel with kids is to anticipate their needs and have reasonable expectations - so having snacks, water, treats and the stroller made for happy port days. Worst case, the stroller is a great place to hold all your stuff while your child walks with you.

Best,

Mia

I think it depends on the child, my lo didn't want anything to do with the stroller after 2. On our last cruise, she was 3 and it went great with no stroller.

I second this. If they are used to walking, and you pick reasonable excursions, then you should be more than fine. Shoot, by the time mine were walking they were done with the stroller - except to push it!

Any chance you can find a cheap second hand one? DS isn't at that point yet, but I cruised with family when my niece was newly 5, and my SIL wished she had brought a stroller even though niece hadn't used one at home for quite some time.

As others have said it depends on your child. We just used our double on an extensive walking/sightseeing vacation with our 7 and 9 yr olds. I know that we more than likely will bring one for our 7 year old. She has short legs and tires very easily.

Also I get to use it as a battering ram to take people out who are walking too slowly in front of me. :D:p:D:p;);)

Thanks for your replies. I am now planning to take the one we currently have. It seems like its better to safe than sorry. Our current stroller is lightweight and is a tab bit larger than an unbrella stroller. It also reclines so I'm sure that will come in handy at somepoint for a quick nap.

I think we took the strollers (last time) on the first of our Disney cruises ... I think the children were 4 and 5. My children are tall. I'm sure they looked like freaks.

I didn't care.

The strollers came in handy for airports, the embarkation and debarkation terminals and shopping in port.

When the kids didn't want to use the strollers, carryons were placed in side.

In port, it made it SO handy, because it forced them to nap while we shopped.

At 3.5, I would not hesitate to take a stroller.