Nassau.....first time at this port

scameron7

Get off the ship!! Go to the beach, look around Atlantis, go see the marching flamingos at Ardesta Gardens, go get lunch and some Sky Juice at the Fish Fry area, or go shopping. You will have plenty of time on the ship, get off and see something different.

I definitely suggest to get off the ship since you have never been. Part of the benefit of cruising is the chance to see so many different places, so don't waste that opportunity by staying on the boat. Saying that, Nassau is one of my least favorite ports (the Bahamas just suck when it comes to cruising) but go check out some of the things listed. Don't gamble in Atlantis, couldn't win a darn penny in that place. :p

I have loved Nassau. The shopping is great. The mopeds are fun to rent, and aren't that expensive.

Seeing Atlantis is awesome (especially the water park with the mile-long lazy river) A lot of people hate it, but go and find out for yourself. Use some common sense for safety.

We have loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twin Brothers at Fish Fry is another good place for lunch! :)

http://www.twinbrothersbahamas.com

We are going to be in Nassau in Nov, most definitely we are going to twin brothers for lunch.

You HAVE to have the cracked lobster (its a tail that it is chopped & deep fried) & of course a "seeing double" THEN it's time to do some shopping. After 2 Seeing Doubles I mind getting dragged from store to store!

As for safety it is no more dangerous than any other port & IMHO much safer than Falmouth. Just keep your eyes open, purse & wallet close & you will be fine.

Generally tourists are safe in public places. The crime there has increased we were told when we spent a week there last year but it is rarely against tourists in public. They seem to have some crime issues with locals but for the most part, the locals love the tourists and know that we are their livelihood.

We have been 3 times for week long vacations because the people are so friendly and my husband enjoys just getting on a jitney bus for $1.25 and striking up conversations with locals. He would spend his entire vacation just finding different locals to hang out with and have drinks because they are so laid back and friendly compared to Americans and that is what he goes on vacations for[emoji3] they tend to be a little pushy at the straw markets though so be prepared to walk away or just say no if you aren't interested.

I've heard lots of comments in past posts that safety is an issue, this was the only reason I was a bit fearful. Is safety an issue?

I also am fearful based on articles about drug dealers approaching cruisers, and also robbery. My first time at Bahamas with hubby. He has walking issues and won't use a wheel chair, but would use a walker. If we get off, we won't be going far away from ship due to his mobility issues.

Do I get off the ship or not? If so, what should I do? Recommendations welcome!

Definitely get off the ship. We too were worried when we read posts about the crime, but have been there twice (once with 10 year old grandson) and no issues. As with anywhere just be careful. We Took the public bus to Cable Beach and spent the day there with lunch at a local restaurant in town. We were at the Melia Resort but went in privately and did not pay the resort day pass fee. Absolutely gorgeous beach and great time. Bus fare was like $1.50 each.

We get a van taxi right in front of Festival Place when we walk out from the pier. We either take a van taxi to Cable Beach, or to Atlantis to walk around the Marina area, or to an excursion destination such as Ardastra Gardens.

We always have 3 or 4 people going together during the day and stay on the ship after dark.