Kids onboard

Eiansmomma

This will be our first time cruising with our kids. I'm excited and scared all at the same time!

I know that a lot of people have mixed emotions about kids onboard (you either hate them or love them). So I'm nervous about that. BUT my kids are kind, considerate of those around them and have been taught to use their manners. So hopefully they won't tick anyone off. :D

We don't really plan on taking them to the MDR - everyone deserve a nice adult meal (even us)

They range in age from 4-11. I plan on using Camp Carnival for them because I really think they will enjoy it (at least the younger two will). Does anyone have experience with Camp Carnival? Thoughts? Will they like it as much as Carnival says they will?

Who else has cruise with kids before? What has your experience been like?

This will be our first time cruising with our kids. I'm excited and scared all at the same time!

I know that a lot of people have mixed emotions about kids onboard (you either hate them or love them). So I'm nervous about that. BUT my kids are kind, considerate of those around them and have been taught to use their manners. So hopefully they won't tick anyone off. :D

We don't really plan on taking them to the MDR - everyone deserve a nice adult meal (even us)

They range in age from 4-11. I plan on using Camp Carnival for them because I really think they will enjoy it (at least the younger two will). Does anyone have experience with Camp Carnival? Thoughts? Will they like it as much as Carnival says they will?

All the time. And have never used the camps. There are many kids usually at early seating, and they will be quite entertained. The servers love to interact with the young ones.

We ALWAYS eat as a family, and wouldn't have it any other way.

All the time. And have never used the camps. There are many kids usually at early seating, and they will be quite entertained. The servers love to interact with the young ones.

We have the early seating too. Maybe it won't be so bad. Thanks!

I can honestly say we will be using the camp though. We plan on attending some of the adult shows and would like to enjoy some adult beverages!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I really doubt that the servers love to interact with children, it is just their job and they do want a tip.

I would definitely take your children to the mdr because my daughter always enjoyed having dinner in the fancy room and did like to dress up. I would just be ready to leave if they act up.

We have the early seating too. Maybe it won't be so bad. Thanks!

I can honestly say we will be using the camp though. We plan on attending some of the adult shows and would like to enjoy some adult beverages!

Sure. Do as you like. Just remember your fare is going to SHARE a ship with others, so you should stop worrying about affecting others. They will be doing the same.

Dont be worried or ashamed of bringing your kids on board! They are paid cruisers just like everyone else onboard dont ruin your families trip worrying about others. Kids love eating in the MDR makes them feel all grown up, its a good life experience. Have a great trip :)

I really doubt that the servers love to interact with children, it is just their job and they do want a tip.

They certainly do. Many then start relating the stories of their kids and families. Dance time? They come running for the little ones.

It's the borish adults they like to avoid.

My kids (twins age 7) loved Camp Carnival and can't wait to go back. They were kept busy from the moment they signed in till we picked them up....In fact my boys really got furious with us some nights when we checked them out, as they did not want to leave.

Don't dismiss the MDR with the children completely. We took our kids a couple of nights and the waiters really catered to them, bringing them multiple desserts, crayons, doing magic tricks....Yes is really beneficial for you and your hubby to have some time alone.... but please let them experience the MDR at least once too ;) My kids are still begging for the warm melting chocolate cake and the jumbo tiger shrimp and of course the lobster :p:D

Just came back this morning with mine--6, 4 (special needs) and 2. They loved it! We ate in the MDR, but ordered their meals with our appetizers. After they finished between appetizers and main course, DH or I would take them up to Camp Carnival. Two nights, the 2 and 6 year olds ate with the kids club kids and loved it. All 3 did great and played a few hours in the afternoon in the kids club, and 7:30-9:30ish in the evenings. The 2 year old cried when we left! She loved her "teachers."

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think cruising makes for a great family vacation. The kids can go off & have fun in a safe manner without the adults, but you can also get together for family time any time you want. My son went to Camp Carnival all the time & was so sad when he topped out in age to go any more. (He got over it & had a great time anyway.) Carnival does a great job with creating age appropriate activities that each age enjoys.

I also think it's great to include the kids in the MDR experience. They seem to enjoy it, mine always have. Even if your kids are picky eaters, there's a separate kids menu with things like chicken fingers, mac&cheese etc., even kids desserts like banana splits.

I can certainly understand you wanting to have a "nice adult meal", but if you have your time dining, you can also ask if your kids can be seated at a separate, but adjacent table to yours. I cruised with a large group of friends this past summer and that's what we did. It worked out quite well. Of course, the youngest kid in the group was 7. So that might make a difference. Just a suggestion...

Dont be worried or ashamed of bringing your kids on board! They are paid cruisers just like everyone else onboard dont ruin your families trip worrying about others. Kids love eating in the MDR makes them feel all grown up, its a good life experience. Have a great trip :)

Ditto. If others don't want to be around kids, there are plenty of areas on board geared towards adults. The kids don't tend to want to hand around with "old people" anyway.

My kids (twins age 7) loved Camp Carnival and can't wait to go back. They were kept busy from the moment they signed in till we picked them up....In fact my boys really got furious with us some nights when we checked them out, as they did not want to leave.

Don't dismiss the MDR with the children completely. We took our kids a couple of nights and the waiters really catered to them, bringing them multiple desserts, crayons, doing magic tricks....Yes is really beneficial for you and your hubby to have some time alone.... but please let them experience the MDR at least once too ;) My kids are still begging for the warm melting chocolate cake and the jumbo tiger shrimp and of course the lobster :p:D

Ditto again. :)

Everything will be great. I have 4 kids and they have been sailing since they were 2 years old. They now range from 14 to 18. They are also Platinum Members on Carnival.

Take them to the early seating in the MDR. They will have a great time and so will you.

My kids have never liked Camp Carnival. Just not their thing. They went in there for 1 hour and never went back.

My oldest did enjoy the teen clubs but the other 3 just like to hang out with us. Which is fine with me. We are a close family and I wouldnt have it any other way.

Don't worry about what others think about having kids onboard. Your cabin neighbor who wakes you up at 1am being loud, obnoxious, and drunk in the hallway is not going to be worried about what you think (this happened on the last night of our 5 day cruise). Most kids I saw were better well behaved than some adults who know better.

We took our daughter, who was 3 years old at the time, with us to the MDR 3 nights out of the cruise and she did fantastic. We had anytime dining, always got there before or around 7pm. Our neighboring table mates always complimented how well behaved our daughter was and what a delight she is. And yes, the MDR staff really cater to the kids. Their great about getting the bread out fast, and will serve your kids their main course during the appetizer if you ask.

Our daughter stayed at Camp Carnival for all of 30 minutes and hated it. But I understood she only wanted to be with us. We didn't get to do any of the adult comedy shows, but still enjoyed our cruise and everything it had to offer. From water works to putt-putt there are all kinds of adult and kid friendly activities available. Enjoy your cruise and your kids!

In May we took DS (12) and DS (7) on their first cruise on the Breeze. I was concerned that they would somehow or in someway, upset someone, but everything was great. In fact we had a couple of people come up and thank us for having such nice well behaved kids :D.

Our boys loved the MDR and trying new foods. We would look at the menu during the day and if there was not something that they were wanting to try or we were just tired, we would just eat a Guy's burger, order room service, or eat somewhere up on Lido. One night in the MDR they had a guy come around and he was doing magic tricks.

Our boys never did make it to any of the camps or clubs. They said that they were having fun just being with us. My DH and I really wanted them to check it out, but they stayed with us the entire time. :rolleyes:

I hope you and your family have a great trip!

They certainly do. Many then start relating the stories of their kids and families. Dance time? They come running for the little ones.

It's the borish adults they like to avoid.

LOL, I should have read your reply first before posting. But borish is kind of a weak description I must say.

8+ cruises for my DD starting at age 6. She loved Camp Carnival and eating in the dining room. Ask the waiters to show them how they fold napkins, order mac and cheese every night. And she would always be asked to dance. We always do either late or anytime dining and never had a problem.

We were on the Dream this April. My DD 3 was a little harder to drop off at camp than my DS 7 but every time we came to pick her up she was having a ball.

We ate with the kids on the first night because the camp isn't open. I didn't feel like they were bothering anyone else but they drove me nuts.

With the exception of one night (we got back late from an excursion) they ate with the camp at the buffet. That second night, I was reminded why we took them to eat with the kids in the first place. They were always excited to check in at dinner time.

I can't tell you how nice it was to "eat out" with my husband 5 nights in one week. We lingered and got dessert and coffee every night. If the service was a little slow, who cares, pour another glass of wine!!

We will definitely give the MDR a try with all the kids. My kids have never been in daycare and are always with me. I did sign them all up for a half day kids play group this past summer and they loved it - I think that is why I believe they will enjoy the camp. I'm going to allow the almost 12 year old to sign himself in and out and do his own activities on the ship. He will of course be required to communicate all plans with us. I do need to stop worrying about my kids annoying others (the drunk not worrying about us is a very valid point).

We have one excursion planned for Freeport and we will be touring on our own in Nassau (zoo and the fish fry area).

I guess the best way for me to find out what they will like or not like is to wait for our cruise :) thanks to everyone for putting my mind at ease!

We were on the Dream this April. My DD 3 was a little harder to drop off at camp than my DS 7 but every time we came to pick her up she was having a ball.

We ate with the kids on the first night because the camp isn't open. I didn't feel like they were bothering anyone else but they drove me nuts.

With the exception of one night (we got back late from an excursion) they ate with the camp at the buffet. That second night, I was reminded why we took them to eat with the kids in the first place. They were always excited to check in at dinner time.

I can't tell you how nice it was to "eat out" with my husband 5 nights in one week. We lingered and got dessert and coffee every night. If the service was a little slow, who cares, pour another glass of wine!!

I love your way of thinking!!

There is so much for kids of all ages on board. My boys have been going into camp carnival since they were 2 (now 15 & 12) and they love it!

If you want to see what life is like as a kids on board check out one of our videos. I have to warn you that my husband is a big joker and they are not your normal vacation videos.

Carnival Liberty 2011

Carnival Breeze 2012

Carnival Dream 2009

There is so much for kids of all ages on board. My boys have been going into camp carnival since they were 2 (now 15 & 12) and they love it!

If you want to see what life is like as a kids on board check out one of our videos. I have to warn you that my husband is a big joker and they are not your normal vacation videos.

Carnival Liberty 2011

Carnival Breeze 2012

Carnival Dream 2009

I will have to check them out when I get home later. My husband is a big joker to so it will probably seem normal to me.

Archived