Solo Royal Cruiser Making a Switch to Getaway

runner2013

Hi all,

As my title says I've (mostly)been a cruiser of Royal in the past, but their prices lately for solo's are through the roof. It's looking more and more likely I may have to expand my horizons and branch out to other cruise lines from now on.

I'm very interested in a 7-day Eastern Caribbean trip in September on the Getaway. I'd also love to book a studio room. They look pretty cool and I love the idea of the singles lounge.

I've been looking at all the deck plans, dining venues, etc for the ship which seem pretty interesting and I'm sure there will be plenty for me to do as a solo so I'm not overly concerned with being alone.

I'd like to hear from my fellow solo's who've sailed her how your experience was.

Did you meet anyone to 'chum' around with, or eat dinner with in the singles lounge ?

Did the ship itself have any type of daily activities listed in their Freestyle magazine you could attend?

Would you sail on her again?

Since I'm used to Royal, which doesn't really seem to be very solo friendly as far as activities or get togethers go, I'm hoping there's more to do on the Getaway.

I've sailed on the Norwegian Sky so I'm somewhat familiar with the way they do things if that makes a difference.

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated

Thanks

I have sailed on the Epic which also includes the solo studio concept.

There was a studio lounge mixer event daily. We would gather for about an hour in the late afternoon to mingle and order drinks from the bartender (shows up just for the mixers).

Most days there was a sign-up sheet in the lounge for whoever wanted to join a group reservation for one of the MDRs.

I did see some mingling in the lounge outside of the mixers.

I liked the opportunity to meet other passengers travelling alone. I did make arrangements with other solos to eat in specialty restaurants twice during the week.

I'm interested in seeing the replies you get here. I have sailed solo on both Carnival & RCCL, but have really been looking at the Epic or one of the other ships with the studio cabins and lounge. I sailed on the NCL Dawn and had a great cruise, but I wasn't solo on that one.

HI all!

Half of my 32 cruises have been solo on various lines but now I mainly do NCL because of the studio cabins. I've done Epic 3 x & Getaway once solo.

I also did Breakaway but with a friend.

Getaway is beautiful & has such a nice Miami/Cuban vibe. I think it's important to attend the solo gathering the 1st night to meet others but you'll also meet people in the studio lounge. I had prebooked what I wanted to do so didn't do the group thing altho' they seemed to do a lot together. Jesse was the co ordinator then & a really good one.

There was lots to do onboard including trivia which I enjoy. The shows are great. Don't miss their version of Dancing with the Stars, it's a hoot! I liked "Winelovers the Musical" too even tho' I'm not a wine drinker. I would go back on Getaway if there wasn't more ships I want to try.

BTW I've been on the 2 big RCL ships too & am not that excited by the new ones coming out. I did love Freedom of the Seas though.

Hope this helps.

~ Jo ~ :)

I did the Breakaway along with Carnival Splendor, going to go again later this year and next year on the Getaway plus the Escape. I have to say, NCL is very solo friendly - You will find that other soloers will gladly go to dinner with you or participate in stuff. The Solo coordinator will also move things along by making dinner reservations anywhere and set up activities for soloers to enjoy. If you want to go at it alone, you can also do that too - that's what Freestyle is all about! There's a alot of activities scheduled to do at each hour - you're never going to be bored on a NCL ship. :)

People on NCL ships are very chummy and easy to talk to, the CC board on the other hand.....:cool:

I was on the getaway last year and it was great for solo's. NCL have realised that the solo market is important and they do it right with the studio cabins but more important is the singles host.

They organise group dinners and a meet up every night,sometimes in the solo lounge,sometimes in one of the bars.Makes it really easy to talk to people and make friends.

I also use Royal Caribbean but NCL ships (especially Epic,Getaway etc) are the best for solo travellers in my opinion.

Gary.

I did 4 solo cruise- NCL Jewel which I didn't care for.

Epic which was the most exciting in the sense that it was furthest away, and the Breakaway twice.

The focal point for me was 1) the Studio gatherings and 2) being able to play in the music venues. It adds a nice amount of structure.

It was very easy to meet other people - I found that we had non-solos joining us.

• 2 months later...
I did 4 solo cruise- NCL Jewel which I didn't care for.

Epic which was the most exciting in the sense that it was furthest away, and the Breakaway twice.

The focal point for me was 1) the Studio gatherings and 2) being able to play in the music venues. It adds a nice amount of structure.

It was very easy to meet other people - I found that we had non-solos joining us.

Howard, you know the Epic was the most exciting because of all of the people that were on it...lol. Did you know Casey and Max got married?

I'm one cruise away from diamond, but I've switched to NCL about five years ago due to solo friendliness. I've done Epic, Breakaway and Getaway....great ships! I began solo cruising very studio lounge dependent, but now I check out the first and second gatherings and then often go it alone....

I've only done the studio cabin thing on the Epic (last October) but I just booked my birthday trip on the Getaway for December. I will definitely be staying in one of the studio cabins and taking full advantage of the lounge. I second everything everyone has said here. I haven't read much about the cruise director staff on the Getaway, but if they handle things like they do on the Epic, you'll have someone dedicated to the solos who plans some sort of outing for each day. Dinners in the MDRs, going to see shows together, doing the Ice Bar, etc. We even had a sunset sailaway party with champagne!

If you were planning on getting an inside room no matter what, the studios will be perfect for you, but if you're a person who needs a window or balcony, then I would think twice. It's a SMALL room. I didn't stay in my room too much so it didn't matter to me. I did meet another solo traveler who got upgraded somehow to a balcony cabin, but had her NCL cruise consultant code her key card for the studio lounge. That way she could take advantage of the meet ups without staying in the lounge. I've heard that this both worked and didn't work from different people, but it's' worth a shot if you've just got to have that balcony.

NCL is very chill and as the studio concept becomes more and more popular, really awesome people will be sailing with you.

Hey, librarianlizzy, that might have been me! I start with a studio and hound my PCC and gave 3 times been upgraded. But, on my last cruise, they wouldn't key my car for the lounge, which is not a big deal....the solos gathered in the sunset bar. They key is showing up the first night or two to mingle. I always book the UDP so I don't attend the solo dinners, but the first day or two I ask if anyone would like to join me for dinner. The NCL experience is sooooo different from the RCL solo experience, which is a joke. The dedicated cruise director makes a huge difference!

Hey, librarianlizzy, that might have been me! I start with a studio and hound my PCC and gave 3 times been upgraded.

What tactics did you use to get upgraded? I would LOVE to be a in a spa cabin, but that's a massive upgrade so I don't see that in my future. A balcony would be nice, though, since I've never had one. I discussed fare drops with my PCC but not upgrades.

I've only done the studio cabin thing on the Epic (last October) but I just booked my birthday trip on the Getaway for December. I will definitely be staying in one of the studio cabins and taking full advantage of the lounge. I second everything everyone has said here. I haven't read much about the cruise director staff on the Getaway, but if they handle things like they do on the Epic, you'll have someone dedicated to the solos who plans some sort of outing for each day. Dinners in the MDRs, going to see shows together, doing the Ice Bar, etc. We even had a sunset sailaway party with champagne!

If you were planning on getting an inside room no matter what, the studios will be perfect for you, but if you're a person who needs a window or balcony, then I would think twice. It's a SMALL room. I didn't stay in my room too much so it didn't matter to me. I did meet another solo traveler who got upgraded somehow to a balcony cabin, but had her NCL cruise consultant code her key card for the studio lounge. That way she could take advantage of the meet ups without staying in the lounge. I've heard that this both worked and didn't work from different people, but it's' worth a shot if you've just got to have that balcony.

NCL is very chill and as the studio concept becomes more and more popular, really awesome people will be sailing with you.

I am solo on the same sailing as you in December. NCL does provide a superior experience when it comes to solos. I just returned from the Getaway a few weeks ago, and tried the solo gatherings, but there was really no one that I particularly clicked with. I guess it's the luck of the draw on who sails on what week...

Librarian, I watch the price and if it drops, I email my PCC and get a price adjustment. Now, mind you, I'm in education so always travel during peak/expensive times. As we get closer to sail date, I text him again and ask if I can get a balcony. Once, I almost got a spa balcony. But, I book lots of cruises with him. Have traveled 2x this year, one booked for Post Xmas and Escape next Feb....this relationship has built strong customer loyalty with me. I'll die if he gets promoted!

I am solo on the same sailing as you in December. NCL does provide a superior experience when it comes to solos. I just returned from the Getaway a few weeks ago, and tried the solo gatherings, but there was really no one that I particularly clicked with. I guess it's the luck of the draw on who sails on what week...

We will definitely have to hang out in December. :) I do think it's the people that make the trip. I loved the Epic because it was an international group. My main group was made up of Brits, Canadians, a German, an Egyptian, and a couple of Americans. We had a blast. I'm sure the Getaway is going to be dominated by Americans, but I'm sure it will still be loads of fun.

Howard, you know the Epic was the most exciting because of all of the people that were on it...lol. Did you know Casey and Max got married?

Hi Tina! Was just watching my video a few months ago. I had heard that she moved out to Nevada and they got married! Have you been on any other NCL's since then? I have done the Breakaway twice and might go again this year and am planning on doing the Escape on the 5 year anniversary (exact date) of the Epic trip next year.

Hi Tina! Was just watching my video a few months ago. I had heard that she moved out to Nevada and they got married! Have you been on any other NCL's since then? I have done the Breakaway twice and might go again this year and am planning on doing the Escape on the 5 year anniversary (exact date) of the Epic trip next year.

Hi Howard. Casey and Max are so happy. I will be visiting them in Vegas in less than 2 weeks. I see them at least twice a year. I have not been on NCL since the Epic trip. I was so disappointed in the experience that I have not wanted to chance it again. The only thing that made the trip was our group. I have been twice on Royal's Allure of the Seas. I am looking at doing a cruise over Christmas but haven't decided on the ship yet.

Hi Howard. Casey and Max are so happy. I will be visiting them in Vegas in less than 2 weeks. I see them at least twice a year. I have not been on NCL since the Epic trip. I was so disappointed in the experience that I have not wanted to chance it again. The only thing that made the trip was our group. I have been twice on Royal's Allure of the Seas. I am looking at doing a cruise over Christmas but haven't decided on the ship yet.

I would like to try Anthem of the Seas as it will be leaving from NJ, would prefer the 9 night one. Every few years I put a hold on Vegas for around December 20th, but end up with concerts instead! I did enjoy though playing at fat cats and howl at the moon every night, and don't know if that's something I would want to give up.

I am a solo cruiser and have been for about 10 years. I have done 25 cruises by myself and actually prefer not having anyone with me, that I have to try to entertain or keep up with or they keep up with me. I have sailed NCL, RCCL, Princess, Holland, Carnival and Celebrity, all solo.

I agree that NCL does the best treatment of solo cruisers. I sailed the NCL Dawn for 14 days Canada, New England and loved the cruise, hated the ship. I have 15 cruises booked right now and only one is with a roommate.

I don't like the solo cabins on NCL, they are way too small, I would rather have an interior and not see daylight then be cooped up in that tiny little room. I always book a Ocean View room anyways.

It is so easy to connect with almost anyone on the ship. I never have gone on a cruise by myself and not make a new friend, a cruising buddy and an email pal. I agree that it is the passengers that make the cruise.

Candie

Sailed solo on Carnival Breeze and NCL Epic.

On Carnival there were no arranged get-together for solos but they always seated me at a table with other solo travelers for both breakfast and dinner (I can't remember if I ever asked for the solo table at lunch - I don't think so).

On the Epic there was always a greet and meet in the solo lounge at 5:00 PM and those who wanted to go to dinner together. There were a number of parties in the solo lounge itself which does have a bar and bar-tender so drinks were not a problem.

Both were great in their different ways, enjoy.