Flying into FLL at 12:35, then to Port Evergalde. Is that too late?

AACJ

Simple answer, assuming no problems, delays, lost bags, etc., yes you will probably make it.

However, that is crazy tight. A little slipup, mechanical or weather delay, and you miss your cruise. Coming in the day before is the far superior idea, as discussed here almost daily.

You do know all aboard for most cruise lines now a days is two hours prior to sailing?

If your flight is on time with no weather or mechanical delays you might be okay. I say might be okay because at FLL you will wait about 20-30 minutes in baggage claim for your bags to come off the plane. So you would be looking at getting in a taxi at about 1:00pm. The taxi ride should be about 10 minutes give or take a few minutes (there is a lot of road construction going on due to an airport expansion project) so be ready for that. Just be sure to be at the cruise terminal 90 minutes before the ships departure time.

In a perfect world it would be but flying anywhere these days you can't expect a perfect world.

Things to consider:

• When are you traveling? You have to consider weather -where you flight originates, your departure city, anywhere it stops en route, and in FLL.
  • Where are you coming from? What if your flight is delayed/cancelled? Are there alternatives with your airline or another airline (if you can find a seat)?
  • If you can't come in a day before can you at least get an earlier flight?
  • Absolute worst case - what will be your Plan B to get to the first port on the cruise?

Being risk averse I wouldn't even try this because I know I would be seriously stressed out between now and setting foot on the ship.

Just saw that you are in Midlothian (my brother used to live there). Are you flying out of Richmond or Norfolk and is it non-stop?

Edited by capriccio

Please, please, please fly in the day or even night before- flights are cancelled on a daily basis - or delayed- you just never know. It could be that YOUR plane got delayed in the last airport, and you are cutting it soooo close- not much wiggle room what so ever flying in that day after 12 pm.

All good things to consider. The biggest advantage I feel I have is the flight leaves RIC early enough so that if I see a large delay or cancellation, I can make other arrangements. Also looks like there are plenty of other flights at our connection to FLL. Ideally, I would love to fly in a day early and stay a day later, but we do not have that luxury, so I will most likely have to take my chances.

(edit), Oh yes, flying out of Richmond...Midlothian is really just a small town outside of Richmond...

In a perfect world it would be but flying anywhere these days you can't expect a perfect world.

Things to consider:

• When are you traveling? You have to consider weather -where you flight originates, your departure city, anywhere it stops en route, and in FLL.
  • Where are you coming from? What if your flight is delayed/cancelled? Are there alternatives with your airline or another airline (if you can find a seat)?
  • If you can't come in a day before can you at least get an earlier flight?
  • Absolute worst case - what will be your Plan B to get to the first port on the cruise?

Being risk averse I wouldn't even try this because I know I would be seriously stressed out between now and setting foot on the ship.

Just saw that you are in Midlothian (my brother used to live there). Are you flying out of Richmond or Norfolk and is it non-stop?

Edited by AACJ

All good things to consider. The biggest advantage I feel I have is the flight leaves RIC early enough so that if I see a large delay or cancellation, I can make other arrangements. Also looks like there are plenty of other flights at our connection to FLL. Ideally, I would love to fly in a day early and stay a day later, but we do not have that luxury, so I will most likely have to take my chances.

Even that isn't a guarantee. I was supposed to fly out of Madison, WI at 6:30 am, connecting through Chicago's O'Hare about 8, to arrive in Indy at 11am a couple of weeks ago. The plane I was supposed to fly on had mechanical issues and the flight was cancelled. The airline could not find sufficient seats, even by interlining people, to fly everyone out that day. I ended up driving to O'Hare with a couple of other people. The airline had rebooked me on a connection that was to leave at 1:20. It got backed up somewhere, and finally left O'Hare about 2:45 and I arrived in Indy after 5 pm.

This was in the summer, with no storms along the way.

Thank goodness I really didn't have to be anywhere that day. If I had been trying to get to a cruise ship, I would have been a total wreck!

Edited by Algebralovr

Never fly the same day with connecting flights.

You may make it but there is no guarantee your luggage will. I speak from personal experience as recently as 2 weeks ago. Our 65 minute layover in O'Hare was reduced to 45 minutes and while we made the flight, our luggage showed up 14 hours late (and that was not the first time we've had luggage miss a connecting flight!). I try to avoid connections at all cost and will only consider them on a return flight where the luggage isn't needed right away since it is full of dirty clothes :D.

We usually fly in the day before, but this time we are flying in the day of the cruise so fingers crossed that we don't have a delay. We have a non-stop flight from Charlotte to FLL, arriving just before noon. I had planned to catch a taxi to the port, but would we be safer booking a Princess transfer or does that matter?

We usually fly in the day before, but this time we are flying in the day of the cruise so fingers crossed that we don't have a delay. We have a non-stop flight from Charlotte to FLL, arriving just before noon. I had planned to catch a taxi to the port, but would we be safer booking a Princess transfer or does that matter?

I would still opt for a taxi regardless.

Whew.....waaaaay to close for us! ;)

We don't even like flying in the morning of our cruise, much less just a few hours before we need to be on the ship. This situation would be too stressful for us and we do not like starting or ending our cruises being stressful. I literally would not breathe until I stepped foot on the ship.

As others mentioned, please hope you have no delays whatsoever. Just one minor delay could cause you to miss the ship.