Gaudi's Experience or other excursion in Barcelona

lyndss

Hi there,

We are stopping this summer in Barcelona on MSC Meravigilia. We are trying to decide exactly what to do there The Gaudi's Experience looks like it would be interesting, as I love the look of his architecture. There isn't any information on it, however. I'm wondering if anyone has done that before.

Also, if not, what would you recommend for the Barcelona stop. We tend to like seaside tours, more than city ones, but thought this particular one would be interesting.

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from anyone:)!

We used Barcelona Day tours previously for a half day tour. You see a lot- all the big Gaudi sights included and the guide gives a lot of detailed local information. They drive you around in a minivan but you do stop and get out regularly, including around 1.5 hrs at Park Guell and 30 mins at the Sagrada Familia. There wouldn't be enough time to go in the latter, but they do offer custom tours so you could ask to extend the time to allow you to go in. I agree that the Sagrada Familia is stunning, although we only saw it from the outside. I'm not religious in any way shape or form and normally 'meh' about seeing churches, but it really is something else.

If you can, don't miss the inside of the Sagrada Família, it's so brigth and so different...

Like Beafamar said, book in advance if you go on your own, not only to avoid lines, but to get tickets, as they can sold out early

Two years ago I went whit DD (wheelchair user) like at noon. I only got tickets because I couldn't get the special fare for her at their website (that would not have been a problem, as I live at 30km)

Sagrada Família, Park Güell, Casa Milà (aka La Pedrera), Casa Batlló... Would be an amazing tour

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions. In looking, I'm thinking we could do it ourselves with your suggestions. What would you say the best way to get around in the city is?

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions. In looking, I'm thinking we could do it ourselves with your suggestions. What would you say the best way to get around in the city is?

You might want to try the Hop On Hop Off bus. It has 3 routes and will take you to all the important sites. It stops at the end of the cruise pier.

Be aware that pickpockets operate on all public transportation, especially the HOHO bus and at all tourist sites.

We decided to visit ALL of the Gaudi sites in Barcelona and hired a private driver for the day. We went to Park Guell, the dragon gate (people pose for photos here holding hands in the mouth of the dragon), Casa Vincens, Teresian College, Casa Calvet, Bellguard, Casa Batllo, Casa Mila, Church of Colonia, La Pedrero, Sagrada Familia, etc. and we went in many of these as there was plenty of time - if there was a line, we drove past and came back later, so we didn't waste time in lines. We went into Sagrada Familia upon opening with no line. I also recommend this:

http://www.gaudiexperiencia.com/visit

I loved Casa Mila best of all. Better than Sagrada Familia - I think because Casa Mila represents what I'm most familiar with - homes - but in the most unique way possible. Don't miss the roof deck there and the top floor which used to be the world's most incredible laundry room but is now a museum, but I think what got me most of all were the paintings on the inner courtyard of the building and what they were supposed to represent - the ocean! But all of the Gaudi sites are all amazing places.

The other place in Barcelona you MUST go is to the Bouquerria Market. This is the oldest continuously operating market in Europe and it is AMAZING! Take a look at this:

My husband and I spent 4 hours photographing this market. It's that amazing!

• 2 weeks later...
You might want to try the Hop On Hop Off bus. It has 3 routes and will take you to all the important sites. It stops at the end of the cruise pier.

Excellent idea! I will do some research on it. Thanks!:D

Be aware that pickpockets operate on all public transportation, especially the HOHO bus and at all tourist sites.

We decided to visit ALL of the Gaudi sites in Barcelona and hired a private driver for the day. We went to Park Guell, the dragon gate (people pose for photos here holding hands in the mouth of the dragon), Casa Vincens, Teresian College, Casa Calvet, Bellguard, Casa Batllo, Casa Mila, Church of Colonia, La Pedrero, Sagrada Familia, etc. and we went in many of these as there was plenty of time - if there was a line, we drove past and came back later, so we didn't waste time in lines. We went into Sagrada Familia upon opening with no line. I also recommend this:

http://www.gaudiexperiencia.com/visit

I loved Casa Mila best of all. Better than Sagrada Familia - I think because Casa Mila represents what I'm most familiar with - homes - but in the most unique way possible. Don't miss the roof deck there and the top floor which used to be the world's most incredible laundry room but is now a museum, but I think what got me most of all were the paintings on the inner courtyard of the building and what they were supposed to represent - the ocean! But all of the Gaudi sites are all amazing places.

The other place in Barcelona you MUST go is to the Bouquerria Market. This is the oldest continuously operating market in Europe and it is AMAZING! Take a look at this:

My husband and I spent 4 hours photographing this market. It's that amazing!

Hi there, Thanks so much for your information! I just have a couple questions:

What company did you book with and how long did you book the driver for to see everything you listed?

Thanks!

BTW, I'm not trying to scare you mentioning the pickpockets. We've been to Barcelona many times and never been pickpocketed yet, but that's because we're aware of the presence of pickpockets and do things to avoid/discourage them from messing with us.

I have read to watch out for pickpockets in Barcelona, so we will be careful. Thanks!

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/avoid-pickpockets-barcelona-spain-100602.html\

It is completely crazy to think that pickpockets are NOT working places where tourists are in Barcelona and I think those who claim it i perfectly safe are doing fellow travelers a grave disservice. Pickpockets are on buses, the metro, outside of hotels, in restaurants and stores, outside of all tourist attractions and sometimes inside as well. Pretty much anywhere tourists may congregate, the pickpockets will be. That said, I don't think you need to be paranoid about pickpockets, but you do need to take reasonable precautions to protect yourself and your belongings.

Taxis in Barcelona are reasonable and plentiful and generally safe.

Hi there, Thanks so much for your information! I just have a couple questions:

What company did you book with and how long did you book the driver for to see everything you listed?

Thanks!

We hired a driver through Barcelona Day Tours. We had him from 10am to 5pm. It was fairly expensive but totally worth it to have the freedom to get into sites without waiting in line. I will say, I believe a woman attempted to rob me in the restrooms of the museum of Sagrada Familia, however, I got a museum docent to deal with her before anything happened, What I will say is if something out of the ordinary happens, just get an employee, don't attempt to help anyone unless it is an obvious life or death situation. In my case this woman claimed she was locked in a bathroom stall. Instead of attempting to open the door, with the possibility she might rush me and pickpocket me, I got a museum docent to help her.

• 2 weeks later...
We hired a driver through Barcelona Day Tours. We had him from 10am to 5pm. It was fairly expensive but totally worth it to have the freedom to get into sites without waiting in line. I will say, I believe a woman attempted to rob me in the restrooms of the museum of Sagrada Familia, however, I got a museum docent to deal with her before anything happened, What I will say is if something out of the ordinary happens, just get an employee, don't attempt to help anyone unless it is an obvious life or death situation. In my case this woman claimed she was locked in a bathroom stall. Instead of attempting to open the door, with the possibility she might rush me and pickpocket me, I got a museum docent to help her.

Oh dear. I'm going to admit, I'm from a small town in Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm going to have to get some Spidey senses...

We have a cab booked in Malta. I will look into Barcelona Day Tours as well, thanks!

We did our own thing travelling around by taxi - the taxi fare is very reasonable. From ship to SagradaFamilila was only 8 Euro. We were first to arrive (opened at 9 we were there 8.30) we waited for the gate to open so there was no queue. From there we pottered around doing our own thing and seeing the things we wanted to see. we ended up with taxi's from one place to another. We like to try the local transport and get amongst it with the locals however, the metro in Barcelona was not as easy to navigate as other European cities we have been to so didnt use it.

• 2 weeks later...
however, the metro in Barcelona was not as easy to navigate as other European cities we have been to so didnt use it.

We just returned from Barcelona. Stayed 6 days, used the metro pretty much each day and had no problems figuring it out. Used bus also to Parc Guell and back.

Looked at the maps ahead of time on-line and had a good idea of where we were going ahead of time and all.

Also no close calls with pick pockets. But keep my purse under my jacket most of the time and keep my hand on it at all time too.

We just returned from Barcelona. Stayed 6 days, used the metro pretty much each day and had no problems figuring it out. Used bus also to Parc Guell and back.

Looked at the maps ahead of time on-line and had a good idea of where we were going ahead of time and all.

Also no close calls with pick pockets. But keep my purse under my jacket most of the time and keep my hand on it at all time too.

I will have a look at the routes. The more I look, the more I think the best option is to take the hop on hop off bus, and really get to know the routes before hand. Thanks for the advice!