Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old January 23rd, 2015, 09:32 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Jazzbeau View Post
Me too. I kept looking for the river cruise part. I was hoping to combine a river cruise on the upper Amazon with Machu Picchu and Iguazu Falls -- but I see on the map that the Falls are very far away from the other two. Oh well, more separate items for the bucket list!
It is THEORETICALLY possible to go from Machu Picchu down the Urubamba River through the Pongo de Mainique (a lot of white water rapids are involved), merge with the Tambo River to form the Ucayali River, and in turn merge with the Marañón River to form the Amazon above Iquitos (which despite a population of almost half a million has no outside the area road connections). There are a few small river cruise boats marketed in the US on the Ucayali,the Marañón and the Amazon (I have been on them), and a lot of local boats and ferries not sold in the US. The Brazilian Amazon has larger river cruise boats, and you can catch cruises out of Florida that go the thousand miles up the Amazon to Manaus.

There are also local boats on the Parana River near Iguazu, and it is possible to get down to Buenos Aires by boat (many seasonally dependent), but nothing marketed in the US that I know of. So pretty much Machu Picchu, the Amazon and Iguazu require non-water connections. I have been to all three, and IMO all deserve a place on your bucket list.

Thom

Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Many companies offer Machu Pichu tours combined with a river cruise from Iquito. You fly between Cusco and Iquito.

We preferred to book the wonderful Napo River Lodge in Ecuador. Getting there is a cruise of a different kind. Much closer to the jungle than anything directly on the wide Amazon. There are also two luxurious boutique cruise ships on the Napo, a tributary of a tributary of the Amazon.

Old March 3rd, 2015, 03:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tom Harper Scotland cruise

Figal2011 plans to go in May on the Tom Harper Scotland Cruise.
I recently received their brochure and that trip is of interest to me. I would appreciate hearing all about it when you return.
If you have taken other river cruises would like a comparison.
How was the ship, food and sights. Also the quality of tour guides on the trip.
Any information would be helpful because it is not an inexpensive trip.
Thank you.

Old March 12th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tom Harper river cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgal2011 View Post
Glad to read your comments, as a friend & I are doing the Tom Harper river cruise to Scotland in May. Their itineraries do sound intriquing. Hopefully, this cruise will be as good as the one you took to Russia, as I could do a few more from their brochure!

I also was glad to hear such a nice review of Tom Harper as my husband and I will be going on their May Scotland cruise! We are so looking forward to it! Glad to provide feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by crazy4ewe; March 12th, 2015 at 08:36 AM.

Old March 12th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Scotland

We took a cruise through Scotland in 2004 on a barge, but we saw the same sites you will. I have attached a copy of the story.
It was a marvelous experience.
If you have any questions, you can e-mail me at highlandpark"at"mindspring"dot"com
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scottish Barge 2004.pdf (426.9 KB, 10 views)
It serves no purpose to list all the cruises I have been on chronologically. Many of the lines or ships do not exist any more, or have been renamed. I have sailed on NCL,Bermuda Star, Regency, Royal, Silverseas, Mississippi Queen, Vantage, Marco Polo, Scottish Highlander, Princess, Victoria, Hebridean Princess, Paul Gauguin, Regent, Oceania, Cunard, Rembrandt, and Lev Tolstoy.

Old March 20th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default scotland cruise

Thank you so much. It sounds like a very nice trip.

Now I have to find someone who has been on the Tom Harper Scotland cruise.