San Juan Fort Entry Costs?

CHolliwood

Would anyone who recently toured the big fort on the hill remember the entry costs? RCI has a guided tour for a good chunk of change, but I would prefer to go on my own, just curious what the cost is.

Thanks,

Chris

Was there some years back and it was I think $3 for one fort, $5 for both. Can't be much higher now. Unless you really need a lot of help this one is easy to do on your own.

If by "guided tour" they mean they take you to places otherwise not open to general public then go for it. There are places of both forts that can't be reached unless it's with a guide from the forts and even those tours are very, very limited (amount of people allowed is also controlled and on a first come, first served basis). If it's a regular tour around the grounds, skip the ship's tour. The important parts of the forts are explained in English and Spanish by signage and you can take in the views and take pics at your own pace. Entry fee is $3USD each or $5USD if you decide to buy a same-day pass for both.

And if someone in your group is 62 and has a senior pass it will get them and 3 others in. If they don't have a senior pass they could buy one. It is only $10 and is a lifetime pass. My husband forgot his senior pass last year so I bought 1 for myself since I turned 62 the day before. It got us both in and now I have a pass for a lifetime.

We were in San Juan a week ago, and toured both forts. I totally agree that a ship tour is not necessary unless it gets you something special. The forts are very doable on your own, and you can go at your own pace. And if, like me, you love taking pictures, going at your own pace is a real plus. :)

OP: make sure you are up and on the port side for sail in to San Juan; you'll pass right by El Morro.

The National Park Service Senior Pass is a total boondoggle. If you are old enough to buy it, do so, what a great deal!

When we were in San Juan (NCL Gem) there was only one other ship in port (the very small Silver Wind). So the forts were not crowded, nor was OSJ itself. We were quite lucky.

El%20Morro%20sentry%20box%20reduced%201024x683_zpsnyzkw2ll.jpg

(Sentry box, El Morro, photo by turtles06)

Turtle06 is correct that the National Park Service Senior Pass is well worth it! For $10 it is good for life and with few visits to National Parks , National Resources it pays for itself. If you go to beach in St. John's you can use it there also!

"If you are 10 years old or in fourth grade, you can participate in a fun online activity and receive a voucher for a free 4th Grade Annual Pass. Print out the voucher and take it with you and your family to a national park, where you can serve as an ambassador and introduce your family to the National Park System. This program, called Every Kid in a Park, begins September 1, 2015, and runs until August 30, 2016. National parks and other federal lands and waters all across America are excited to share their heritage with young people."

More information can be found here:

https://everykidinapark.gov/ or http://www.nps.gov/kids/features/2015/everyKid.cfm

Can you go to the cemetary while you are at the fort?

Hi Karen,

I know the cemetery is right next to Fort El Morro and we ended down there when we were on the grounds of Fort El Morro when on our Valor cruise in 2013. There is a way to get from one to the other, easy access, but for the life of me I can't remember where it's at, but it is from the lawn.

View toward cemetery from the fort

IMG_4870-1.jpg

View from cemetery looking back toward fort

100_6219-1.jpg

Thanks Holly! I've ALWAYS wanted to go there, but just never did, so this time I am determined to. I was worried because I THOUGHT I read that it closes early and we don't get to SJ until noon. Then I read that the area is "not too good" and most people don't venture down there. I will keep my fingers crossed it works out!

View toward cemetery from the fort

IMG_4870-1.jpg

The cemetery entrance is above the building in middle foreground . If you take the wall running up from the left corner of the building until it meets the horizontal wall that extends from the pink dome, the entrance is on a vehicle road just past that junction. The road runs under the wall.

The cemetery entrance is above the building in middle foreground . If you take the wall running up from the left corner of the building until it meets the horizontal wall that extends from the pink dome, the entrance is on a vehicle road just past that junction. The road runs under the wall.

Okay, thanks. Is it marked or am I going to have to really look for it? Also, can I just walk around the fort and cemetary? No admission for the grounds, but just to get INSIDE the forts? Not sure DH wants to do them. TIA

Oh, Holly, when you took the picture looking back at the fort, you weren't actually IN the cemetary? Kind of looks like you are looking down on it. Thanks! :)

Karen, tried to quote a couple replies but only let me quote these two, so I'll try to answer in order.

The area that's not recommended venturing down into isn't the cemetery, it's the neighborhood below the cemetery. It's called La Perla. It looks very colorful and pretty, but that is the area to avoid.

You are correct, neither of the pictures I posted are from down inside the cemetery. I posted those to give you an idea of where it was in relation to the fort and also to show you how close. We did end up down there and walked through really quick, but I didn't get any pictures while there. This was our Valor cruise from 2013. I wanted to get to Fort San Cristobal that time for pictures of Valor below. DH was getting antsy to leave to head back to the ship (he was hungry/thirsty) and when I mentioned going to the other fort (San Cristobal) for pictures of Valor from up there, he said to make it quick, so quick exit cemetery and hustle to San Cristobal. I didn't get any pictures while we were actually IN the cemetery. We were going to try to go though on our last cruise, but we wanted to get to El Morro and it was getting close to the 6PM closing time. That now warrants another trip. :D

The last question: Yes, you can walk around on the grounds of the cemetery and both forts for no charge. They only charge you inside the forts. It was $5.00, per adult, to go through both forts. If you wanted to do that, just hang onto your receipt and show it at the next, but that's only to get inside the forts.

Thank you. We ended up down there and I remember a "tunnel", but had forgotten exactly where it was.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Karen,

I'm just taking a break and looking through my Valor cruise pictures and found one that may be very helpful to you. :D The cemetery and how to get in...I just found a picture that of the fort grounds, taken from the fort, that shows the road that will get you into the cemetery. I edited the picture with a large white arrow pointing to that road. As Lard Greystoke mentioned in previous post, with instructions on where the entrance is, and that it's a vehicle road that goes through the tunnel to the entrance. I only remembered cutting across the lawn to get to the cemetery but couldn't remember the entrance, but did remember a tunnel when Lard Greystoke also mentioned that. Hope this picture will help.

100_6209-1_1.jpg

I know you were also curious as to when the cemetery closed. Just saw a post where it was mentioned, and I attached the link below. It's the response from Stinger-pr, Post #2. He lives in San Juan and his information is accurate. Hope this helps. The link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2323952

Edited by pghsteelerfan