Glacier Bay in May ?

The Other Tom

We just booked an NCL cruise out of Seattle May 17 that goes to Glacier Bay. I was wondering how close we would get to the glaciers...is there a lot of ice in May ? Would going later in the year be better ?

Glacier Bay is beautiful in May with lots of snow:

glacier-bay-2009-westerdam-alaska-235-2.jpg

The Holland America Line ships get very close (my guess is 100 yards):

p5222256.jpg

Glacier Bay in July:

P7150041.jpg

From my August Zuiderdaam trip.... I think we were 2 ship lengths from the towering glacier. Of course wildlife, ice congestion, and falling ice can change the distance for each trip.

Edited by xlxo

We just booked an NCL cruise out of Seattle May 17 that goes to Glacier Bay. I was wondering how close we would get to the glaciers...is there a lot of ice in May ? Would going later in the year be better ?

We are on the same cruise :-)

Before I booked, I looked at trip reports from May 2014, to get a better sense of conditions and weather. From what I read, May is one of the better months; less rain and bugs than in the summer months and the ships/ports are not as crowded. Also the landscape as someone else stated, is snowier, which I prefer.

I think it's going to be an amazing cruise!!!

Most of Glacier Bay isn’t normally clogged with ice like Hubbard Glacier can be. Johns Hopkins can have quite a bit of ice but even more limiting is that the Harbor Seals are molting and pupping so access is limited.

The park service recommends not getting any closer than ¼ mile from the face of tidewater glaciers. The several times we’ve been in front of Margerie Glacier we sit about ¼ to ½ mile from the face. There’s usually a report on the distance from the bridge or the park service folks who are onboard.

Edited by Glaciers

We are on the same cruise :-)

Before I booked, I looked at trip reports from May 2014, to get a better sense of conditions and weather. From what I read, May is one of the better months; less rain and bugs than in the summer months and the ships/ports are not as crowded. Also the landscape as someone else stated, is snowier, which I prefer.

I think it's going to be an amazing cruise!!!

You'll be boarding as I'm getting off - enjoy it :D

• 1 month later...

Been 6 times ( 3 btb), in May-early June. Most often we got close, but I think the biggest difference comes with the park ranger you pick up at Glacier bay. On our first trip, we were a huge amount closer on first week, then the second week. We were told it was at discretion of park ranger. Weather also plays a big part, you could be there on a cloudy rainy day, or when the sun is shinning and you can see all the shades of blue. But dispite distance and weather, it will still be a great site to see either way,

Probably not much snow this year....the sled dog races were changed the route...alaska got very little snow this year....we are all afraid of the potential for fire. I suspect the rivers that are fed from snow will be low this year...the plus side of this is that you will see the glacial blue ice much better.....can't see much of that if it is snow covered. We seem to be three weeks ahead....at least....in weather.

Probably not much snow this year....the sled dog races were changed the route...alaska got very little snow this year....we are all afraid of the potential for fire. I suspect the rivers that are fed from snow will be low this year...the plus side of this is that you will see the glacial blue ice much better.....can't see much of that if it is snow covered. We seem to be three weeks ahead....at least....in weather.

Sorry to hear about the lack of snow. We're booked on the Westerdam for May 9th. I'm sure the scenery will be absolutely beautiful. Do you have an opinion as to whether or not whales will be seen so early in the season (early part of May)? I've heard so many things about the scenery that I'm sure I won't be getting much sleep. :)

Sorry to hear about the lack of snow. We're booked on the Westerdam for May 9th. I'm sure the scenery will be absolutely beautiful. Do you have an opinion as to whether or not whales will be seen so early in the season (early part of May)? I've heard so many things about the scenery that I'm sure I won't be getting much sleep. :)

If you are talking about humpbacks, they arrive in Alaska for about a month, end of April to end of May. Yes you will see humpbacks. There also are humpbacks who don't migrate.

So glad someone asked this as I wondered about ice keeping us from glacier bay. Or if that is ever a problem with early cruises.

We are on the May 9th cruise as well. I wonder since the weather is about 3 weeks ahead if it will be warmer in general as well? Starting to think about all the things to pack...last time we went in September so planning for it to be a little chillier.

So glad someone asked this as I wondered about ice keeping us from glacier bay. Or if that is ever a problem with early cruises.

We are on the May 9th cruise as well. I wonder since the weather is about 3 weeks ahead if it will be warmer in general as well? Starting to think about all the things to pack...last time we went in September so planning for it to be a little chillier.

In the 20 years I've been visiting Glacier Bay, never has the Tar Inlet been impassable. All the ships are able to see the Margerie Glacier and Grand Pacific, where the ship "parks", at a dead end. The Lamplough and Reid are gone by, with sometimes people missing them. Pure chance if your ship sails to the head of the Hopkins Inlet- where you would get a view of the John Hopkins glacier- 5 miles away. An excellent, example of the "distance" , first timers are amazed. :) Sept 1- ships can sail this inlet, it is a harbor seal sanctuary, again, pure chance if your cpt does or doesn't.

Edited by Budget Queen

If you are talking about humpbacks, they arrive in Alaska for about a month, end of April to end of May. Yes you will see humpbacks. There also are humpbacks who don't migrate.

What about orcas, seals, and eagles? I hope we aren't going too early.

What about orcas, seals, and eagles? I hope we aren't going too early.

Eagles are everywhere. Orcas are pure chance, don't count on any sightings. Harbor seals, are better seen hauled out on ice which you may see in Glacier Bay. Sea lions are seen very frequently in Auke Bay, with the potential to see them at a buoy haul out- IF the vendor goes there. They are also around Glacier Bay, but most people simply miss them. You are only going to see a small head, if they aren't hauled out. Sea otters are the easiest to see in Glacier Bay- as they have their flippers above water. But they are small and skittish, you have better views with rafts.

These would be around the first third of Glacier Bay, with Harbor seals, up in front of Margerie. From the entrance it is about a 3 hour transit. Before entrance to Glacier Bay- IF coming from Skagway or Juneau- the ships go in very early, many times 6am. Prior to this, can have potential for humpbacks since the ships are stalled out in Icy Strait.

Binoculars are always necessary, in my opinion. In Alaska, they are "permanently around my neck- I'm never without them. :)