Philipsburg excursions - Any goes to Maho Beach ?

julmops

Hi all,

Booked on the Eclipse on January 2016 and started to look at the offer in terms of excursions ...

For me the main attraction is Maho Beach and being able to see those massive jets passing only meters above your head :D:D:D

However, I couldn't find any excursions mentioning Maho Beach ...

Any suggestions ?

Many thanks in advance !

In November last year I sailed the NCL Epic and we took a taxi (shared van) and it was about 8-10$ per person to go to Maho. There's always plenty of taxi in Maho to get back to the ship.

I checked on internet the airport schedule and we were lucky enough to see the jumbo KLM 747 plane landing. Took amazing pictures of the landing off.

Edited by ERLEC

Been there many times. My suggestion would be to take a cab or van privately. It's maybe :20 from the pier (depending on traffic).

No need to worry about a cab coming back. Since it's right off the airport cabs are everywhere.

BTW, most big jets come in the afternoon. They will post the schedule on a blackboard at the Sunset Beach Bar. Smaller planes will land periodically throughout the day.

Maho is just not the type of place visited on most tours, with the exception of some island driving tours that might give you a brief look-see. The reason? With the exception of the nearby runway and a couple of decent bars there is nothing redeeming about Maho. As a beach it would rate pretty low on the quality scale. And there is also a safety issue which probably does not meet the "smell" test of many cruise lines. There is a risk when one stands at the airport fence (there have been some severe injuries) and cruise lines might have difficulty in getting that past their liability insurers.

Hank

OP: you should also check out the Ports of Call/Caribbean/St. Maarten board for info and advice. (Among other things, iirc, you'll see some warnings about all the traffic and making sure to leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship if.)

Have a great cruise.

We go there all the time. We take the water taxi into town. Walk straight back to the street behind Front Street. Look for minivans with signs in the window that say Maho. Those are the local buses. The cost is $2 pp. They will drop you at the turn that heads to Mullet Bay which is a short walk, maybe half a mile. Cross the street and walk to the left. Maho is right there. There are bar/restaurants at either end of the beach.

This past October, we went to Mullet Bay first. It's a nicer beach. We rented lounges and had lunch there. We then walked (strolled)over to Maho, with a stop at the pharmacy for something I needed. We watched a few of the planes come in, then caught the bus back to P"burg. I picked up some liquor before taking the water taxi back to the ship. BTW, the liquor is cheaper in St. Martin than in St. Thomas.

If you are into plane watching then Maho beach is the place to be. Just take a taxi to the beach. I think the reason you don't see excursion there is that "you just can't stop stupidity" . You will see when you get there. Just insane that people line up along the fence for the Jet Blast. We are headed back to St. Maarten March 2015 and will have four newbies with us and the want to see the planes.

To wet your appetite here is a link to my 2014 video from Maho beach.

Vimeo Link:

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Hancock, where do you get the water taxi, and what is the cost?

Julmops, a couple of years ago, someone on our cruise organized an island tour on a party bus. We were at Maho in time to catch a couple of in-coming jets. And Maho is a party beach! Unfortunately I don't know the name of the operator, just google party bus in St Martin. It was a lively tour, too.