How does NCL compare to the wonderful RCL?

thehams

I would like to add that the ship makes all the difference as well. That is with both lines. Comparing NCL Spirit to the NCL Breakaway, two totally different ships, but we enjoyed both. We always make the best of each experience. The only ship we weren't crazy about was QM2. Other people love it, it was just a little too stuffy for us.

We are going on Royal's Anthem of the Seas soon. It's a beautiful ship and the technology on it is amazing.

Have fun with whatever you decide!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Once is enough with Carnival. :) The size of the ship isn't critical. Our favorite current NCL ship is Star. The Jewel and Pearl were nice too. They are right, though, don't compare Dawn or Spirit to a larger RCI. NCL is serious about Free Style. There are no formal nights. Which ship do you have in mind?

My main gripe with NCL is the actual ship design. Lots of closed in spaces (nothing like Royal's promenades and centrums), a small pool deck, choppy hallways, and bottlenecks. These problems are especially evident on the Epic. I've heard they improved a little with the Breakaway Class, but still not up to my standards. I do like the waterfront concept though.

I also wasn't thrilled with Epic's service, but that can vary from ship to ship, or even cruise to cruise.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

While I would definitely rate RCCL over NCL for most things, there is one exception (for now). If you travel in the upper-level suite accommodations, NCL has it (or at least, had it) all over RCCL. The service, particularly in any suite having a butler, was absolutely incredible and pampering, and the separate facilities for suite passengers, including the Haven pools and separate restaurants, were terrific.

I'm not sure whether RCCL's new emphasis on suite perks, including the adoption of the Royal Genie service, will alter that (I'll let you know after my I get back from the Oasis on February 26th!) but based on past experience on the NCL Gem, for now, if you're a suite passenger, I'd give NCL the edge.

My main gripe with NCL is the actual ship design. Lots of closed in spaces (nothing like Royal's promenades and centrums), a small pool deck, choppy hallways, and bottlenecks. These problems are especially evident on the Epic. I've heard they improved a little with the Breakaway Class, but still not up to my standards. I do like the waterfront concept though.

I also wasn't thrilled with Epic's service, but that can vary from ship to ship, or even cruise to cruise.

A woman at work said the least favorite part of Epic was the see-through bathroom. Due to her daughter and SIL staying in the adjoining room. She said the insane level of awkwardness on that trip made that ship a NEVER AGAIN for her.

I watched a YouTube video (fully clothed) which showed she's 100% truthful.

I think it's no biggie for most married couples, dating couples, close friends, etc (although, I once knew a couple who in 15+ years of marriage CLAIMED to have never seen each other pee, knew of each other throwing up or getting ill, and had never once farted in front of each other). That's just freaky for me. We have a strict door closed for #2 policy in our house, but that's not even the case for some families. They just wander in.

And if you don't even help someone YOU CLAIM TO LOVE who's puking... what sort of person are you? Even if you get sick yourself so you have to just encourage them from outside the door and have a wet washcloth ready and a pillow. I don't get queasy, so I'll hold her hair in a heartbeat or do whatever she needs or wants me to do.

However, it could be super weird in mixed families or when kids get to certain awkward age. At least to North American sensibilities. She said sitting on the toilet and having the SIL walk in the room... even fuzzy through the glass... was too weird to handle.

Edited by poncho1973

Been on both RCI and NCL. Love them both.

They are more alike than different. Just off the NCL Getaway and NCL Escape and they are both outstanding ships if you're looking for a larger ship experience. DH and I pick cruises based on price and itinerary with a preference for NCL and RCI.

Been on both RCI and NCL. Love them both.

They are more alike than different. Just off the NCL Getaway and NCL Escape and they are both outstanding ships if you're looking for a larger ship experience. DH and I pick cruises based on price and itinerary with a preference for NCL and RCI.

That is the way we feel too, although we haven't sailed on the larger NCL ships yet.

A woman at work said the least favorite part of Epic was the see-through bathroom. Due to her daughter and SIL staying in the adjoining room. She said the insane level of awkwardness on that trip made that ship a NEVER AGAIN for her.

I watched a YouTube video (fully clothed) which showed she's 100% truthful.

I think it's no biggie for most married couples, dating couples, close friends, etc (although, I once knew a couple who in 15+ years of marriage CLAIMED to have never seen each other pee, knew of each other throwing up or getting ill, and had never once farted in front of each other). That's just freaky for me. We have a strict door closed for #2 policy in our house, but that's not even the case for some families. They just wander in.

And if you don't even help someone YOU CLAIM TO LOVE who's puking... what sort of person are you? Even if you get sick yourself so you have to just encourage them from outside the door and have a wet washcloth ready and a pillow. I don't get queasy, so I'll hold her hair in a heartbeat or do whatever she needs or wants me to do.

However, it could be super weird in mixed families or when kids get to certain awkward age. At least to North American sensibilities. She said sitting on the toilet and having the SIL walk in the room... even fuzzy through the glass... was too weird to handle.

The bathroom is a horrible design, plain and simply. Obviously, there is the lack of privacy, but there's also other problems...Whenever the shower door opens, the room fills with steam. Whenever the toilet area is used, it doesn't contain the, uhh, smell. As you mentioned, you can see the silhouettes. And who doesn't love brushing their teeth right next to the bed while someone stands a few feet away?

And I can vouch for the awkwardness...It was awkward as hell.

Mostly a RCCL cruiser here but have been on NCL's Getaway and Escape. NCL does not have ships that wow you. They are nice but nothing special.

NCL ships are fun. We like the slides/ropes courses/game shows. We loved Howl at the Moon but the production shows were definitely better on RCCL.

Food - give edge to RCCL for complementary food choices. Specialty - give edge to NCL.

Given a choice, I would pick RCCL but if you want to try something new, definitely try NCL.

While I would definitely rate RCCL over NCL for most things, there is one exception (for now). If you travel in the upper-level suite accommodations, NCL has it (or at least, had it) all over RCCL. The service, particularly in any suite having a butler, was absolutely incredible and pampering, and the separate facilities for suite passengers, including the Haven pools and separate restaurants, were terrific.

I'm not sure whether RCCL's new emphasis on suite perks, including the adoption of the Royal Genie service, will alter that (I'll let you know after my I get back from the Oasis on February 26th!) but based on past experience on the NCL Gem, for now, if you're a suite passenger, I'd give NCL the edge.

I can't wait to hear your comparison of the suite life of these lines. We have considered RCCL for a cruise but are in love with the suites on NCL.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've been on several cruise lines and they all have their pros and cons. We liked NCL and would count it as our second favorite line behind RCCL. Just try it! Its like trying a new restaurant...You won't know if you like it or not until you try it.

I agree. There are pros and cons on each line and each has something different to offer and a lot just depends on your preferences. We have sailed RCCL, NCL and Carnival. My favorite so far is Royal and I like the large ships. I have been on Breakaway, but still like RCCL better, just my preference as far as the things we enjoy doing. Food is about the same on them all I think. Can't wait for my Oasis cruise. :D

Debbie

Once is enough with Carnival. :) The size of the ship isn't critical. Our favorite current NCL ship is Star. The Jewel and Pearl were nice too. They are right, though, don't compare Dawn or Spirit to a larger RCI. NCL is serious about Free Style. There are no formal nights. Which ship do you have in mind?

Different tastes. The Star was a floating rust bucket inside and out when I sailed her. The crew was pretty terrible as well.

My first Norwegian cruise I bought on E-Bay back in 1999(?). They filled lot of ships that way back then. I did enjoy the new thing called "Free Style" dining that was new back then. No waiting and 2 top tables that Royal has lot of now. My favorite thing was at time they had Soda Pop vending machines that had 20 ounce bottles of Mt Dew, and the prices was cheaper then Royal's $2 for can of coke. Not sure they still have them. Norwegian cruises are like an upscale Carnival cruise. Both have their own issues but will stick with Royal...

I like both lines.

They both have good food and fabulous shows. I would definitely go for the newer ships.

If you're drinkers, i think NCL is stil running the inclusive beverage package, I would definitely consider that. We sailed on the Escape for $2300, balcony with beverage and dining package. It was a no-brainer for us.

Everyone is not the same. What is awesome to one person, may not be awesome to you.

My favorite cruises so far, has been the NCL Escape, Regal Princess and third, Carnival Spirit in that order.

RCCL newer ships has the WOW factor, so I'm very excited to sail on the Allure.

Whatever you decide, enjoy.:)

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

When was that? The last time we were on it was 2011.

April 15, 2012 - Ship was in disrepair in many of the public areas... but that is easily overlooked... there was a series of very unfortunate events... A comedy of errors if you will, that lead me to the crew comment.

I would likely try Breakaway/Breakaway+ class... we shall see.

I found the food better on NCL. Still nothing to brag about but better. The food on the Oasis was pretty bad at times, although we did get some good (not great) meals in the MDR.

Entertainment on the NCL Gem was superior to the RCCL Oasis. I loved the Oasis ice skating show but the other shows were not very good. The raved about diving show was awful.

Staff on the Gem was MUCH friendlier. Staff who had nothing to do with us directly went out of their way to say to "good morning", "good evening", etc. While the wait staff and room steward were excellent on RCCL, I didn't ever feel like anyone else really cared if we were there on the Oasis or not.

I preferred the decor and room set up on the Oasis over the Gem.

Getting back on the ship after excursions was again better on the Gem. Cold face cloths and water were a very nice welcome back to the ship on hot days.

Labadee was prettier than the NCL private island IMO.

Our first cruise was NCL and we chose it because we hated the idea of a set dining time. We LOVED the set dining on RCCL, which shocked me because I thought I would hate it.

I want to try a Viking Cruise next. Smaller ships with less than a thousand passengers. Sounds like heaven.