Baltic Cruise May or June, Scheduling Ques, & Stateroom question

miamichic

Hello All

I am trying to immerse myself in this forum with all its helpful information

I am trying to decide between cruising out of Copenhagen the last week of May or First Week of June

I would prefer the warmest weather possible (LOL) and wonder if the week makes the difference

Also I see June 12th is a Russian public holiday (technically we would be there on the 10th & 11th so this may be a non issue but just in case)

I am considering a balcony stateroom because i do not like the floorplan of the Insides or OV but wonder if the price difference is worth it ($ approx $800 more) and will I use the balcony (side note on the Alaska cruise i regretted not getting a balcony because although it was cold it was scenic and better then being on pool deck brrrr)

Thank you in advance

Not to get into an argument with other posters, but over the years, it has always been the prevailing opinion that money spent on a balcony stateroom for a Baltic Cruise can be put to better use somewhere else.

Most Baltic cruises are very port intensive, you do not have many sea days and you are usually in port from early in the day till late in the afternoon. Again, most people are usually tired when coming back and want to rest up for the next day, and have little time to enjoy the balcony. PLUS, there is very little to see from your balcony. Even sailing the Archipelago in Stockholm is best done up on the highest deck where you can get a more panorama view.

It is always, different strokes for different folks, but for that $800, you could book a very nice private tour in St Petersburg and have money left over for several other things.

Again, this is just my humble opinion, but facts are facts.

Cheers

Len

As Len said different strokes for different folks. You need to consider what is important to you. I am slightly claustrophobic so having a balcony is very important to me --we usually book a mini-suite. We love having the additional unshared space :)

We started the departure from Stockholm with a lovely "drink" on an upper deck then spent the following several hrs on our balcony -- beautiful! There is lots to see entering and exiting all the ports --some scenic, some not, but in my opinion fascinating!

Edited by Alaskanb

I really don't think that a week is going to make any noticeable difference in the weather in that area. Temperatures can't be guaranteed from year to year anyway. I am one of those 'must have a balcony' people, whatever the destination, but we're all different. I would normally say if you're having to ponder whether it's worth the cost,it probably isn't, but in your case you've already regretted not having a balcony once, so perhaps you ought to go for it.

As others have mentioned there will not be much difference in the weather in late May or early June.

I would say temps could be in the 70Fs but could drop to 50Fs.

It all depends where you live and what will be regarded as warm or cold for you.

If you live in a warm climate you are likely to feel cold in the Baltic and as a result would not use your balcony much.

If you live in a cold climate you will probably think the temps in the Baltic are very comfortable.

Except for the Stockholm archipelago (If your ship docks in Stockholm proper and not Nynamshavn) there are not much scenic cruising in the Baltic. You are also likely to spend most of your days ashore.

I love my balcony and always book one, but, if I cruised in an area where I wouldn't use the balcony much I would book an OV.

I am also one of the "won't cruise without a balcony" crowd. I tend to be claustrophobic and I like the extra private space as well as the illusion of size the wall of windows gives me. I'm also usually an early riser, even on vacation, and I love getting up and sitting out on the balcony with my coffee and my camera. If it's cold, well, that's what my jacket is for.:)

We chose an AQ on Constellation in late May. It's $500 per person less than the next cruise (same itinerary) that departs on June 2nd. For us an added benefit of going earlier is it gets us out a bit ahead of the summer tourist season since most schools are still in session.

We had a balcony on our Baltic cruise and loved having it. At the end of a busy port day it's a great place to relax, have a drink, and enjoy sailaway. One of our ports was Amsterdam, and we really enjoyed locking through on the canal while we were on our balcony.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG! We love our balconies! We're readers, and it was just bliss sitting there with our books (and on occasion wrapped up in a shawl, even though it was August!) One night we had the most amazing storm we'd ever seen, with lightning all around. We were captivated by it, and stood on the balcony for ages trying to get a good photo!

• 1 month later...

On avarage, the first week of June is warmer than the last week in May, just about everywhere in the Northern hemisphere. But that probably means over a given century, that it's warmer 40 times, cooler 30, and the other 30 it was no different. It's just pot luck, but if everything else is equal, book June.

As for the balcony - I'd use the very very big balcony known as the open decks, and spend the difference on a week in Spain to get away from the miserable cold wet filthy freezing miserable rotten blasted weather we're having at the moment. (Did I mention it was miserable?) ;)

I think (though I'll go for the first cruise just in the next August:)) that the balcony is worth it! All the people who took balcony write that it was great for sunbathing, pictures, relaxing, evening wine, reading, romantic nights etc. So, if you can afford it -go for it!

As I said before, there are those that just will not cruise without a balcony. If that's you, go for it. But if you are cruising in August, be sure your balcony is on the sunny side of the ship, or there will be no sunbathing. Maybe with your jacket on :D:D. and as for pictures, forget that also, the only port that is worthwhile viewing from a balcony is the archipelago in Stockholm, and honestly, it is better viewed from a top deck, aft.

But, as for the relaxing, and the wine, now your talking. Can't beat that. :D:D:D

Cheers

Len

I think (though I'll go for the first cruise just in the next August:)) that the balcony is worth it! All the people who took balcony write that it was great for sunbathing, pictures, relaxing, evening wine, reading, romantic nights etc. So, if you can afford it -go for it!

I don't find the balcony worth it for this particular cruise. You are on the go-go-go and there is not much to see where you are docked in the ports. jmo. Plus it is not even that warm. You can use the ship sun deck to lay out in the sun. I like to use the money on excursions and souvenirs

Get a balcony!!!! Even though it was too cold (we did 1st week in May) we enjoyed sitting on the couch sea days and looking out

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nicole

I do NOT mean to make light of your last post, but it struck me as very funny. You paid all that extra money for a balcony, to sit on the couch in your room and look out?

Again, I understand some people's need to have that balcony, so if you are in that group, fine, there is nothing wrong with that. But, as you said, it IS cold and if it is too cold to even sit out......

Again, I'm only making light of it. You brought a smile to my face today.

Cheers

Len

• 1 month later...

Storm in the northern seas sounds like a dream!

You were lucky to see it!

That made me laugh. :D

I might take a lightning rod for the special effects as well. :p

I have also heard kite flying from the top aft balconies in those conditions is quite shocking... ;)

:cool:

It is a preference depending on your tastes.

We NEVER get a balcony and we once went with a travel agent who tried to manipulate us into getting one. We don't want to spend our time in the cabin as we want to be doing things rather sitting cooped up in a room. We can see the same view on the decks, in fact, even better, because we can move easily from one side to the other if the view changes. I can use the money saved to buy other things. This is my 6th cruise, (Bahamas, Alaska, Canada twice, Carribbean, and now Baltics). I have never regretted my decision to get an inside cabin. In fact, it is easier to sleep in the land of the midnight sun.

It is a preference depending on your tastes.............. In fact, it is easier to sleep in the land of the midnight sun.

That's very true. Now why didn't I think of that before we sailed to the land of the midnight sun and had to balance cushions against the curtains to try and block out the bright sunshine at midnight :eek: :D