One more reason I choose NCL over Carnival

BurtonRiderT6

That was in 2009.

Carnivals been adrift twice since then due to engine fires.

That was in 2009.

Carnivals been adrift twice since then due to engine fires.

Azamara's fire was less than a year ago.

I guess my point just flew over your head. Unfortunate incidents like these can happen to any cruise line. If you're perhaps suggesting that Carnival may be deferring maintenance or something of the sort, what's Azamara's excuse? Upscale cruise line. Only two ships.

We had an engine fire on a Princess cruise off the coast of Mexico a few years ago. Luckily, it was a small fire and we never lost power, but it was quite a scare let me tell you. The Captain came on the intercom at dinner to announce "all crew, please stand by". It suddenly got very quiet in the dining room. After a few minutes, the call came out for "all staff, general quarters" or whatever is said to indicate staff are to go to their emergency posts. The look on the faces of the dining room staff was priceless and then they all took off running. Being a somewhat newbie cruiser at the time I said to our table mates that I hoped this was a drill. I was quickly informed otherwise. After a few more minutes, the Captain informed that there was a fire in the engine room and he would advise more as soon as possible. It was a very surreal scene in the dining room with no food and no servers and no one knowing whether to stay there, go back to the cabin or go up on deck. We decided to help ourselves to our bottle of wine despite thoughts of trying to board a life boat in an inebriated state.:). Eventually the Captain gave the all clear and a technical explanation of where the fire had been extinguished. But just goes to show, this can happen on any ship, any cruise line.

Azamara's fire was less than a year ago.

I guess my point just flew over your head. Unfortunate incidents like these can happen to any cruise line. If you're perhaps suggesting that Carnival may be deferring maintenance or something of the sort, what's Azamara's excuse? Upscale cruise line. Only two ships.

I got your point and I made no suggestions or excuses. Just a clarification. NCLs was a 2009 incident. Thats all.

It does seem that Carnival is in the news a lot for ships adrift. I was on another cruise when the Carnival ship was adrift in the Pacific in November a few years ago, and my work colleagues were afraid I was on that boat.

RCCL has 22 ships and I can't remember hearing as many issues with them.

Every cruise or vacation destination has incidents. Disney World, Angel Fire Ski Resort, whatever. Unless you live your life in a bubble there are risks everywhere you go.

That being said though, I was on the Triumph a few weeks ago and wasn't impressed. We still had a good time but I won't be rebooking a cruise through Carnival again.

My SIL was on the week the propulsion was out. Haven't heard details from her vacation yet, though.

We had an engine fire on our Epic cruise in December of 2010. The ship was less than a year old at the time. It was during the first day at sea and the ship came to a complete stop. The fire was in one of the engine rooms. The all clear was given in about 30 minutes and the trip went on as planned. It did cause all dining venues to delay opening for lunch until around 1:00 since the power had been cut off.

Sorry, listing in rough seas is not something RCCL can control, unless they recently recruited Poseidon to their Board, but maybe I missed that too.

And some passengers sex in hot tubs is not the same as being adrift. Remember the folks on the Carnival cruise who were reduced to eating Spam or some such cause they were adrift for a few days in the Pacific. One of your stories actually compares to the issue with Carnival, to which I was referring.

Every cruise line has unruly passengers, and you can find nasty staff in any resort you go to. Yeesh....

Ok analyze situation....its early February its not hot outside, if I were on the cruise I have balcony keep my door open get a nice breeze its not hot extra days on a ship, get refund/credit back I be happy. lol

From what I've read, the passengers are not allowed into their cabins ~ the hallways are too dark ~ they are all up on deck. Bathrooms are working on only half the ship. They won't be back on land until Wednesday. I bet it's pretty hot where they are.

Yes while incidents are bound to happen lets not forget those that have happened recently. I believe Carnival has a ship parked off the coast of Italy right now too.

That's Costa so if you're going to count that incident then you need to add 14 more ships (including the Concordia).

Sorry, listing in rough seas is not something RCCL can control, unless they recently recruited Poseidon to their Board, but maybe I missed that too.

And some passengers sex in hot tubs is not the same as being adrift. Remember the folks on the Carnival cruise who were reduced to eating Spam or some such cause they were adrift for a few days in the Pacific. One of your stories actually compares to the issue with Carnival, to which I was referring.

Every cruise line has unruly passengers, and you can find nasty staff in any resort you go to. Yeesh....

Wow!

You picked out the most insignificant issues and ignored multiple rapes, failed health inspections and even the incident of mechanical problems on the Jewell of the Seas.

From what I've read, the passengers are not allowed into their cabins ~ the hallways are too dark ~ they are all up on deck. Bathrooms are working on only half the ship. They won't be back on land until Wednesday. I bet it's pretty hot where they are.

Yikes! That sounds like an awful way to spend your vacation! I hope all those poor cruisers are not too uncomfortable.

I hope NCL's ships are better maintained than that! I am no veteran cruiser but it does seem to me Carnival is in the news a lot for the wrong reasons.

It seems to me that Carnival Corporation has "culture of complacency."

It starts at the top and works it way down. I'm not saying that Carnival is unique in this sense, either but companies who foster a "culture of excellence" and demand excellence from their employees are the companies with safety records to match but something needs to happen there. Eventually the loyal customers will fade away and the trust with the public just isn't there to bring in new, loyal customers. I know that with the Triumph, Concordia, Allegra, Star Princess, Splendor, Ecstacy, that it causes me pause and I probably wouldn't risk my vacation dollars on a Carnival Corp ship. Just my $.02.

It seems to me that Carnival Corporation has "culture of complacency."

It starts at the top and works it way down. I'm not saying that Carnival is unique in this sense, either but companies who foster a "culture of excellence" and demand excellence from their employees are the companies with safety records to match but something needs to happen there. Eventually the loyal customers will fade away and the trust with the public just isn't there to bring in new, loyal customers. I know that with the Triumph, Concordia, Allegra, Star Princess, Splendor, Ecstacy, that it causes me pause and I probably wouldn't risk my vacation dollars on a Carnival Corp ship. Just my $.02.

Interesting. You certainly read a lot into this for someone who has never sailed on Carnival. A question for you, though...

Do you feel when you were on the POA there was a "culture of excellence?" Does NCL demand excellence from their employees on the POA?

Interesting. You certainly read a lot into this for someone who has never sailed on Carnival. A question for you, though...

Do you feel when you were on the POA there was a "culture of excellence?" Does NCL demand excellence from their employees on the POA?

I believe you're a bit defensive.

It is my money, and I'll spend it as I deem appropriate. I didn't flame you or anyone else. It is simply my opinion that in reading about Carnival Corp, that a "culture of complacency" exists. You may not agree, but you don't need to sling arrows my way.

I was never set adrift on the POA and there were no fires on board. I have never read about a fire onboard that set the ship adrift.

Don't take it so personal, no one accused you personally of causing mayhem.

Archived