QE2 to sail for final time

DDBINK1

I found this article and thought others might want to read it.

I wonder if they will have any passengers on board when they do the final cruise?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10169019/QE2-to-sail-for-final-time.html

Probably not. In the sales contract it is written that any new owner of the QE2, can not allow to carry any fare paying passengers for either a crossing or cruise aboard the QE2. Regards,Jerry Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

"...to be turned into luxury accommodation."

What was it before then ? and it always makes me laugh when they said "refitted as a floating hotel". Again, what do they think a cruise ship is then ?

ut oh. I think QE2 was a Liner if memory serves. Cruise Ship :eek: lol

I found this article and thought others might want to read it.

I wonder if they will have any passengers on board when they do the final cruise?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10169019/QE2-to-sail-for-final-time.html

The last time a liner bearing the name Queen Elizabeth was sold to Hong Kong (a potential buyer in this case too) she ended up scathing fire, then sinking, and appearing in a successful James Bond film.

Isn't there a new Bond film due in 2015?

The last time a liner bearing the name Queen Elizabeth was sold to Hong Kong (a potential buyer in this case too) she ended up scathing fire, then sinking, and appearing in a successful James Bond film.

Isn't there a new Bond film due in 2015?

That would hurt.

But MI 5 ?? would use the hulk of the ship to house the new M for the scenes. Perhaps Bond will have caused the fire?? This new version of Bond is a bit messy with his work.

This July 7, 2013, article from gulfnews.com says:

... Teams from Drydocks World were charged with bringing the vessel back into class to enable her to sail to the Far East.

Staffed with a crew of 32 members, the QE2’s captain is Sergly Byelov from Ukraine. ...

• 3 weeks later...

This topic starts with a link to a news story from July which itself relates to announcements from the current operators.

We have been watching the situation closely, but have so far seen no evidence whatsoever that she's coming back to life, and believe there's still a very very substantial amount of expensive work required before she could sail. Indeed, their latest announcement on the QE2 hotels website a few weeks ago implies she's not going anywhere for a while yet.

Yet another announcement will be forthcoming I'm sure, when they announce the design proposals that have been submitted, but when they make it try to separate out the PR spin from concrete facts.

Incidentally she has been reporting her position on and off throughout. She has not had her own power since January, but the shoreside provided emergency power powers the bridge equipment. Also to clear up a confusion - She's been afloat since January, although within the Dubai Dry Docks World facility.

Edited by RAL72

...We have been watching the situation closely, but have so far seen no evidence whatsoever that she's coming back to life, and believe there's still a very very substantial amount of expensive work required before she could sail. Indeed, their latest announcement on the QE2 hotels website a few weeks ago implies she's not going anywhere for a while yet...

Thank you for the update...do you have contacts in the area? Some weeks ago an image was posted of QE2 in drydock with a newly repainted hull. If that was indeed a recent image it would indicate that there is serious work going on that would not be done if her destination was a scrapyard. FWIF, the Floating Hotel website posted on Sept 23rd that seven design houses responded to their FRP for "initial concept design". They now say the sailing out date "will be announced soon".

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1929029

The QE2 is scheduled to depart from Dubai on October 18 with a gala sail-off party

marking the event.

http://www.qe2hotels.com/new/www/html1/pressrelease.php

The Dubai-based owner of the iconic QE2 cruise liner has announced the appointment of COSCO Shipyard Group to refurbish the ship into a luxury floating hotel.

QE2 Holdings said in a statement that the cruise ship, which has hosted kings, queens, presidents, prime ministers and celebrities throughout its legendary 40-year history, will depart from Dubai and arrive in COSCO Shipyard’s facility in Zhoushan, Zhejiang Province.

Once there, it will receive a makeover that is scheduled for completion by 2015.

The existing 990 staterooms will be converted into 400 premium suites ranging from 60 to 150 square metres.

The statement said COSCO Shipyard will be responsible for all the technical repairs and coordinate with an appointed interior renovation contractor to revamp the accommodation and ballroom, as well as the refitting of seven restaurants, 10 lounges, a cinema, a maritime museum displaying QE2 memorabilia, and a shopping mall.

Khamis Juma Buamim, chairman of QE2 Holdings and Dubai’s Drydocks World, said: “No other ship can match the QE2’s prestige, or her legacy. She is an absolute icon of maritime history, one of the best and most powerful ships in the world. Therefore, our decision on a partner was critical.

“We are pleased to be working closely with COSCO Shipyard for the technical repair and refurbishment process, which will be carried out with the utmost respect to the QE2’s heritage and splendour. China COSCO’s expertise in cruise ship conversion will complement our extensive experience in comprehensive ship repair work and upgrades.”

Yan Chengxiang, vice president of COSCO Shipyard, added: “QE2 Holdings’ decision to carry out this work with us is a reflection of COSCO Shipyard and COSCO Group’s leading position in China’s shipbuilding industry, and it also should also generate optimism for a sector that is rapidly transforming.”

QE2 Holdings also announced that it has invited seven international interior architecture houses to compete for the interior design contract.

Daniel Chui, president and chief executive of QE2 Holdings and managing director of Oceanic Group, said: “The ship’s redevelopment is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for any interior design professional to create what will become one of Asia’s major waterfront tourist attractions.

"The goal for the final design is to preserve the soul of the QE2 — many of the original furnishings and much of the décor will be incorporated — while creating a modern luxury hotel.”

Originally set to be refurbished as the central attraction in a maritime-themed development on Palm Jumeirah, this plan was scrapped in the wake of the financial crisis and the downturn in the Dubai property market.

from

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/chinese-firm-hired-convert-dubai-s-qe2-into-luxury-hotel-523237.html

So let´s hope she will make it to China safely- so much can happen on a long journey with the QE 2 beeing very elderly now!!! Good thing they stored the memorabilia. It was heard from many ships who sunk, burned or whatever on their last journey´s! Acidents do happen!

I tend to take a great interest in topics that I find interesting in and this saga is one that really motivates me.

I have been in the corner that has always been very suspicious of all these claims being made about converting this ship into a floating hotel. I accept it has been done before and respect to those that want to do it.

I would love to see this ship reborn as a hotel and apologies to all for doubting this but the claim was that this ship would sail under its own power on October 18th??

Have we any knowledgeable folk that could explain why it is claimed they would sail under their own power? Would this be cheaper than towing this ship?

The article in the Telegraph, said it was hoped she would sail on October 18.

This was only the latest report of plans to move the ship to another location. Wasn't she to be moved to London.

We will have to wait to see if this latest "plan" is just another pie in the sky, but why do so called journalists seem to swallow every latest sceme as gospel truth?

I don't think she is likely to be sailed or towed any time soon.

David.

QE2 has not moved yet, but here AIS signal now shows a destination port of Singapore and ETA of 26th November 2013. It looks like she is getting ready to leave. Just wish I knew when.

Well spotted Lanky Lad and it looks like things may well start to happen in the next few weeks

• 4 weeks later...

I see that she is still tied up alongside at Dubai, the ETA for Singapore is the 26th November 2013.

I know those Russian cargo aircraft are big:eek:;).... But I doubt even one of those could get this ship to its destination by the 26th of this month??

Who am I to doubt the claims by the owners but when a shepherd keeps crying 'wolf' eventually those cries will go unheeded!

If the owners have bought her back to a sea going condition, would it be in their interest to get this one off journey over and done with? I am asking that question as it is now getting on for months of being alongside with the ship allegedly overhauled and certified fit for purpose. Will we soon be seeing her needing further inspections to ensure she is indeed seaworthy and capable of making this last voyage under her own power?

I still cannot understand how it is cheaper to carry out the extensive repairs\servicing to get her capable of steaming to the Far East under her own power, as opposed to having her towed to that location?

I still cannot understand how it is cheaper to carry out the extensive repairs\servicing to get her capable of steaming to the Far East under her own power, as opposed to having her towed to that location?

Towing such a big ship halfway around the world is a very dangerous operation. If they get her there under her own power, it will be a much safer option.

Towing such a big ship halfway around the world is a very dangerous operation. If they get her there under her own power, it will be a much safer option.

So how come we recently saw a large aircraft carrier towed from Russia to China!

The ex Ark Royal towed from the UK to Turkey, I could cite dozens of ships of at least the equivalent weight or larger that are towed far greater distances. I believe the biggest things that get towed are the huge oil platforms that dwarf this liner.

If this operation were considered dangerous.. I doubt any company would get insurance.

I am NOT saying you are wrong, I am simply suggesting that towing that ship would not be a difficult task.

Can you say why this would not be an option please?

As a child I can recall the Vanguard, a huge battleship being towed to the breakers yard... She made an impression when she gently collided with the harbour wall at Portsmouth, but no damage was done and within a few hours she was dragged off and the tow was completed in a safe manner.

Edited by glojo