For those who have traveled by train to Orlando

uncleg

This is a question for those who have made this trip. We are a group of 16 plus and growing. We will be traveling from SC to Florida for a cruise out of port Canaveral...right now it looks like driving is our only option, but really don't want to have to take so many cars. We looked at train option but were discouraged by others to do so. I just want to know if anyone has done this and what type of travel arrangements did you make to get to you hotel near the port? We have been looking but not finding a shuttle service that runs to port Canaveral area...all we have found are shuttles to airport, to Disney and other attraction, Oh forgot to mention train station is in Orlando.

This is a question for those who have made this trip. We are a group of 16 plus and growing. We will be traveling from SC to Florida for a cruise out of port Canaveral...right now it looks like driving is our only option, but really don't want to have to take so many cars. We looked at train option but were discouraged by others to do so. I just want to know if anyone has done this and what type of travel arrangements did you make to get to you hotel near the port? We have been looking but not finding a shuttle service that runs to port Canaveral area...all we have found are shuttles to airport, to Disney and other attraction, Oh forgot to mention train station is in Orlando.

I don't know why anyone would discourage you from taking the train. I've done it a bunch and it is by far the most relaxing way to travel!

That said, there are lots of transportation options from Orlando to Port Canaveral.

The reason why people may tell you to would avoid the train from SC to Orlando is because you would be getting on a long distance train that originates in New York. The trains to Florida can run very late since Amtrak doesn't own the tracks on which the train travels south of Washington DC. Freight companies own the tracks, so their trains can cause delays for passenger trains. If you just build enough buffer room built into your schedule, the train will be fine. Just make sure your group is aware of the potential for delays. It is a fantastic way to travel though.

Edited by lido deck larry

• 2 years later...

These posts were a few years old - so wondering if anyone has any newer information on shuttle services to Cape Canaveral from the Amtrak station in Orlando. We will be coming the day ahead of the cruise - as we are aware there are often delays. There will be 7 of us and of course our luggage.

• 3 weeks later...
These posts were a few years old - so wondering if anyone has any newer information on shuttle services to Cape Canaveral from the Amtrak station in Orlando. We will be coming the day ahead of the cruise - as we are aware there are often delays. There will be 7 of us and of course our luggage.

I see you didn't get an answer to your question, but I was wondered how this worked out for you. Thinking of taking Amtrak from NY to Orlando for cruise in August. Did you rent a car at the Amtrak station or take a shuttle to the port? Was the train on time?

Thanks.

Karen

I have picked up my parents several times at the Orlando stop for Amtrak and have never noticed any car rental agencies at the terminal...it is quite small, there are loads of taxis , and there may some local rental places , just not at the terminal.