For those who have booked far out...

moesyk4

Are you slightly worried with all the new changes that your "great" deal won't be so great by the time your cruise comes along with all the new changes and upcharges? We are long time cruisers but new to NCL and have two cruises booked with them with these great promotions. One of them is a SJ suite booked for January 2017 with the UBP, UDP, gratuities, and OBC included. Even though it is almost two years away I'm excited to live the suite life!

But with all these recent changes just since I've started frequenting the boards, I'm worried that such a long lapse of time will allow many opportunities for our great deal to become not so great and no longer worth it. Just since we booked the cruise about a month ago we will now be paying an extra $3 per person per day in tips and possible auto gratuities on top of that in the specialty restaurants.

I know we can always cancel and have plenty of time to do so, but this was such a good deal and one we really couldn't afford elsewhere....I guess we shall see!

When I book far out, I figure it's the maximum I would have to pay. For my past two NCL cruises, I've gotten price drops and upgrades. So, just look at this as the worst deal you'll get.....not too bad, right?[emoji6]

Are you slightly worried with all the new changes that your "great" deal won't be so great by the time your cruise comes along with all the new changes and upcharges? We are long time cruisers but new to NCL and have two cruises booked with them with these great promotions. One of them is a SJ suite booked for January 2017 with the UBP, UDP, gratuities, and OBC included. Even though it is almost two years away I'm excited to live the suite life!

But with all these recent changes just since I've started frequenting the boards, I'm worried that such a long lapse of time will allow many opportunities for our great deal to become not so great and no longer worth it. Just since we booked the cruise about a month ago we will now be paying an extra $3 per person per day in tips and possible auto gratuities on top of that in the specialty restaurants.

I know we can always cancel and have plenty of time to do so, but this was such a good deal and one we really couldn't afford elsewhere....I guess we shall see!

I book as far out as I can. Usually prices go up, so booking far out is the best deal. Nonetheless, if prices go down I can always rebook at the lower rate.

Are you slightly worried with all the new changes that your "great" deal won't be so great by the time your cruise comes along with all the new changes and upcharges? We are long time cruisers but new to NCL and have two cruises booked with them with these away I'm excited to live the suite life!

But with all these recent changes just since I've started frequenting the boards, I'm worried that such a long lapse of time will allow many opportunities for our great deal to become not so great and no longer worth it.great promotions. One of them is a SJ suite booked for January 2017 with the UBP, UDP, gratuities, and OBC included. Even though it is almost two years Just since we booked the cruise about a month ago we will now be paying an extra $3 per person per day in tips and possible auto gratuities on top of that in the specialty restaurants.

As you have the UDP through the promo you won't be charged the auto gratuity of 18% for specialty restaurants.

Harriet

Just since we booked the cruise about a month ago we will now be paying an extra $3 per person per day in tips
Your promo includes free tips, so guests 1 and 2 will not be paying the extra $3, are they? And for guests 3-8, have you asked about pre-paying? You should still be able to pre-pay the DSC at last month's rate of $12/day.

Your promo includes free tips, so guests 1 and 2 will not be paying the extra $3, are they? And for guests 3-8, have you asked about pre-paying? You should still be able to pre-pay the DSC at last month's rate of $12/day.

This is true. I checked MyNCL today and was able to pre-pay our DSC charges for our December Escape Haven H5 cruise at the old pricing. I don't normally pre-pay anything but I think that with all the changes taking place it's a good idea. Just my 2 cents. ;)

I booked our family cruise in January of this year,,2015. We booked an SJ on the Norwegian Star since our oldest son lives in Tampa,. Only 5 of us would need to fly. We prepaid our service charges, which at the time we booked was not one of the promo options. We got the 2 UBP's, the other 4 soda packages, and all 6 of us got the UDP... I actually cancelled and rebooked, lost $100 OBC but saved $1000...so in the end it is all good.

Edited by tpnebraska

We're in a similar situation with a booking well in the future. It's my understanding that the 'auto-gratuity' in the specialty restaurants does not apply if you have the UDP and prepaid DSC.

Also, I understand that that if you've already paid the DSC, the new rates won't apply.

If I'm wrong, please ... please someone correct me. Thanks.

With all of the changes, this is exactly WHY I am happy that I am booked so far in advance. Believe me, I wish my cruise was this fall instead of fall 2016 :eek: BUT I have locked in everything already and pre-paid the gratuities and everything else that has gone up recently. Even if the price goes down, my TA has assured me that I will be able to hold onto everything that I already paid for. I feel confident that I made the right decision, and now I just have to see if prices drop anytime until August of 2016. That's a long time for changes to happen. Who knows if prices will go down, but you can't book thinking that it's going to happen. You have to book at the price you're willing to pay. Sometimes you just get lucky...But I for one never bet on it.

Im worried now. :D. I live in the UK and have just booked for December 2016.

What is changing on NCL? we will most probably add the UDP in the next month or so, and we got the UBP in the promo. We have pre paid our gratuities. Any other costs I need to know about? lol.

3rd time on NCL and I love them, cruised once with Royal but find NCL better value for what we use on the ships.

I think NCL are cheaper as well so im hoping it stays that way. lol

Are you slightly worried with all the new changes that your "great" deal won't be so great by the time your cruise comes along with all the new changes and upcharges?

No, we not worried at all.

If you got a good deal, then you got a good deal. There are always incidental charges that you'll pay, but they are typically small ones. Frankly, there is nothing that NCL or any other cruise line can do to significantly increase the price of your trip without every single passenger complaining....it's just not going to happen. The extra $3 pp in a suite is avoidable by prepaying gratuities. The 18% auto-gratuity in the specialty restaurants is not applicable to the dining package (there is a thread where it is shown to not effect the UDP).

No, I book at a price Im happy with and I dont keep comparing prices until I sail. I have plenty of other things to worry about in my life rather than "could've, should've, would've". ;)

We booked our October 2015 Getaway cruise in a Haven Aft-Facing Penthouse in June 2014. With that booking we received a bunch of nice perks from our TA (3 specialty dinners, a good amount of OBC, Spa credit, & wine)- a pretty great deal. Since all the "promotions" started the same cabin is now $1,200 MORE than we booked at- and that would be with my kid sailing free:eek:. I'm very glad we booked so early. So glad, in fact, that we booked this month for an August 2016 sailing on the Escape. You can always grab a price reduction if it happens...but why chance it?

You're right, it's all good. Don't book any 'extras' and be happy with the fare you booked at.

I don't mean to be too dramatic, but I fear...."There's a bad moon on the rise".

:cool::cool::cool:

Can you tell a bad moon from a good moon just by looking at it?

When I book far out, I figure it's the maximum I would have to pay. For my past two NCL cruises, I've gotten price drops and upgrades. So, just look at this as the worst deal you'll get.....not too bad, right?[emoji6]

I book as far out as I can. Usually prices go up, so booking far out is the best deal. Nonetheless, if prices go down I can always rebook at the lower rate.

Who is right?.....

OP - yeah - I'm worried. I'm worried the great deal we found on NCL will get more costly and we should've done DCL anyway...

This is true. I checked MyNCL today and was able to pre-pay our DSC charges for our December Escape Haven H5 cruise at the old pricing. I don't normally pre-pay anything but I think that with all the changes taking place it's a good idea. Just my 2 cents. ;)

I have pre-paid for both my cruise at the end of this year, and my March 2016 cruise, at the old DSC rate. They are not getting one penny more from me - not with the games they are playing now.

Edited by SissasMomE

Didn't you rebook 3/1/15 when they added free gratiuties? Or are you talking about a 3rd and 4th guest? Most of the prices are pretty suite right now - I doubt you will regret anything.

My thinking is completely the opposite of the OP, which is why I've booked our 2016 cruise just this week. For our cruise this year, we re-booked in January using the UDP/UBP/OBC promo and prepaid gratuities at the then going rate. And I just locked in our June 2016 cruise to take advantage of the gratuities, UDP, UBP, OBC, and 1/2 price 3rd guest. I feel better about booking a suite or haven cabin because I'd rather pay all up front and have the packages, than be "nickle and dimed" throughout the cruise.

Edited by Kimberlyr22

Who is right?.....

OP - yeah - I'm worried. I'm worried the great deal we found on NCL will get more costly and we should've done DCL anyway...

Both of us are correct in what we said. You are wrong in what you said. If prices go up, you don't have to pay any more than the price you booked at.

Who is right?.....

They both say essentially the same thing. Book, then monitor proces to see if you can re-book and get a better deal before the final payment is due. With DCL, you book early then watch with satisfaction as prices go through the roof!