New England Fall/Canada

cruising sister

We did this cruise a couple of years ago. Check out my trip report with a ton of pictures and excursion ideas linked in my signature below.

If nothing else, maybe the pictures will whet your appetite for what's to come.

Enjoy your cruise!

what sort of suggestions? it is always a toss up for best fall foliage viewing.

we took GR 2 years ago and loved it.. almost no kids on board which was WONDERFUL, the ports were nice( except evil bar harbor which was fogged out and we missed it) and the weather( 3rd week in September) was perfect.. not too hot, not too cold, crips days no rain.

Go to ace1zoe2 cruise revue...it is a great representation of what you will see. The weather that time of year can be fickle. You really should pack everything from shorts and bathing suits to warm weather gear. You just never know. Get a balcony if at all possible. The ports themselves are very scenic.

Enjoy:D

I turn 60 on the 12th of October and want to be cruising on that day. I am curious if that is a good time to go. It looks like it is at the end of the season and hopefully no hurricanes.

I live here in Maine and my Dad's birthday is October 11th. I have always used that date as the one when the foliage is at it's peak or close to it. We live slighlty north of Portand where the ship docks, so it should be beautiful that time of year. It may be a bit past peak farther north (Bar Harbor), but it will still be pretty.

Edited by Maybaybie10

I turn 60😁 on the 12th of October and want to be cruising on that day. I am curious if that is a good time to go. It looks like it is at the end of the season and hopefully no hurricanes.

We do that itinerary almost every year and the middle of Oct. is an ideal time. Last year we went the very end of August and beginning of Sept. No fall foliage to speak of. Am going this year the middle of Sept. and don't expect the foliage to be at it peak at that time either. I just love the ports.

If you ever get a chance to do the 14 night trip on the Celebrity Summit to Quebec and back, that is the best Canada/New England itinerary I have ever been on. The Explorer did the round trip back in 2007, but then the last few years it was done only one cruise up and a second cruise back to NJ. Now the Explorer is gone and we will be going on the Liberty this year, but not to Quebec. Wish they would do that again, but not as a B2B. Just one 14 night cruise.

There are never many kids on this itinerary and it tends to be more mature cruisers. Not old, mind you, just mature....;)

Gwen :)

I turn 60😁 on the 12th of October and want to be cruising on that day. I am curious if that is a good time to go. It looks like it is at the end of the season and hopefully no hurricanes.

We are hoping that is a good time to go too because we will be on the Brilliance, departure from Boston Oct 11.

We went on the Brilliance from Boston in Sept of last year and loved it!! Just don't do a whale watch..too late in the season and the catamaran held 400 people!! Way too many! Would love to go again this year but we're taking an Alaskan cruise instead. Hope you have a wonderful cruise:-)

We are hoping that is a good time to go too because we will be on the Brilliance, departure from Boston Oct 11.

We did that week in 2010 and also 2014. Still lots of foliage to see while in port. Weather can be nice, it was in 2010 with DH in shorts the whole week. This past year it was cooler and had a terribly rainy day in Halifax, unfortunately. We would book that week again if the price was right.

If you do Oli's Trolley while in Bar harbor, don't book it through the ship, reserve it on your own online. The price is about half if you book it yourself. Also, book it early since the early tours sell out.

Have done this cruise 5 times - the weather is the weather -- more times than not it has been great. One week we got rain (it happens). I would suggest going to Boston for a couple of days before or after - Do not worry about hurricanes (they happen in the Caribbean too). Radiance class ships have a covered solarium and the outdoor pool is also heated.

We did this cruise a couple of years ago. Check out my trip report with a ton of pictures and excursion ideas linked in my signature below.

If nothing else, maybe the pictures will whet your appetite for what's to come.

Enjoy your cruise!

I've just sent your link to myself. I will read it in it's entireity. We're doing this itinerary on Celebrity Summit in October and I'm still deciding on which ports we can DIY. We're really looking forward to it, plus spending some pre cruise time visiting NYC...been on my bucket list for a long time.

Thank you for the link.

Edited by midwestchick

We are also looking forward to the Oct 4 Summit Cruise.

The following link shows peak dates for foliage in Maine by location for 2010 through 2014.

http://www.maine.gov/dacf/mfs/projects/fall_foliage/whenandwhere/index.html

Hi,

I recognize your name from our roll call. Thanks for the link...hoping we see some wonderful fall foilage on our cruise.

Edited by midwestchick

• 2 weeks later...
We went on the Brilliance from Boston in Sept of last year and loved it!! Just don't do a whale watch..too late in the season and the catamaran held 400 people!! Way too many! Would love to go again this year but we're taking an Alaskan cruise instead. Hope you have a wonderful cruise:-)
If you go to Juneau check out Marv&Harv. 6 person max boat and we saw whales close up and bubble net feeding. Best time ever!