Princess now offering OBC after I've made my booking

Phils01

I've booked a cruise on the Golden Princess about 2 weeks ago through a TA.

I've just looked at this cruise on Princess's own website and now they're offering $350 OBC if I booked now.:mad:

Does anyone know if I would be able to get that OBC retrospectively or is it just a case of - tough you booked when you did !!!!

I've just looked at this cruise on Princess's own website and now they're offering $350 OBC if I booked now.:mad:

Does anyone know if I would be able to get that OBC retrospectively or is it just a case of - tough you booked when you did !!!!

Yes, you should be able to change your booking to the Sip and Sail promotion. Your rate may go up or it may not. Mine did not increase but others said there has. Just call you TA and have her check.

Call your TA!

Can you not just cancel and rebook, below is from Princess UK site

Sailings less than 30 days (including World Cruise Segments)

Days prior to Cruise or Land Package DepartureItem(s)* AssessedCancellation Fee75 days or moreNoneNone74-57 daysCruise fareDeposit* Amount56-29 daysAll Items50% of Total Charges28-15 daysAll Items75% of Total Chargeswithin 14 daysAll Items100% of Total Charges*Items: Cruise, Cruisetour, Cruise Plus Package, pre-purchased gift(s)/special services.

*For those passengers booking a reduced deposit promotion, the initial cancellation fee amount will not exceed the deposit

Hi I am from the uk, my TA told me that we can change our booking ONCE only for a admin charge of £100

I guess you have to think is the additional OBC worth it?

I would rather see if the cruise price drops :)

I'm in the UK, too. I book direct with Princess, as we don't seem to get the great extras from TA's as they do in then US. ☹️

I've never had a problem re-faring (at least 2x on Alaska cruise a couple years ago and once on currently booked TA) or paying an admin. Have never had to cancel & rebook. Just called Princess and asked.

Don't know if your TA has any restrictions or fees, but agree I'd call and ask, see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
Hi I am from the uk, my TA told me that we can change our booking ONCE only for a admin charge of £100

I guess you have to think is the additional OBC worth it?

I would rather see if the cruise price drops :)

Princess does not charge an admin fee, seems like its your ta is assessing you an outrageous fee to make a simple call to Princess for you...

I raised the same question with my TA as I have booked a cruise to Alaska for next year and then the OBC promotion was offered, as the cruise was over a year away I didn't think there would be a problem to change to the OBC offer but was told 'no' and that I would be charged £100 to do so which made it not really worth the effort, very disappointing, no point in booking well in advance, seems Princess UK has different rules to the US :(

I should say I am at Elite level but clearly loyalty doesn't make any difference either :(

Edited by Canberra forever !
additional information

I raised the same question with my TA as I have booked a cruise to Alaska for next year and then the OBC promotion was offered, as the cruise was over a year away I didn't think there would be a problem to change to the OBC offer but was told 'no' and that I would be charged £100 to do so which made it not really worth the effort, very disappointing, no point in booking well in advance, seems Princess UK has different rules to the US :(

I should say I am at Elite level but clearly loyalty doesn't make any difference either :(

Hello Canberra,

I am not sure that your loyalty to your travel agent may be misplaced. To my knowledge, Princess does not assess any charge for making changes. My own big box travel agent has a more modest charge for changes but typically waives them. After final payment is a different situation. I would expect a different response from the travel agent a year out. As I am from the US, perhaps my expectations are not correct?

Hello Canberra,

I am not sure that your loyalty to your travel agent may be misplaced. To my knowledge, Princess does not assess any charge for making changes. My own big box travel agent has a more modest charge for changes but typically waives them. After final payment is a different situation. I would expect a different response from the travel agent a year out. As I am from the US, perhaps my expectations are not correct?

Yes I'm starting to think maybe I need to ring Princess direct and just ask the question 'what if?' thank you for that watch this space ....... :)

Well I started this thread and in this respect things haven't gone the way I would like.

I spoke to my TA and with Princess directly and I have come to some conclusions

My TA are not interested once they have my booking and taken my deposit, basically I'm locked in. I got them to phone a Princess and ask them to ask about getting me the OBC, after some persuasion they agreed and told me that they would ring me after. When they did I was told that there was a £100 admin fee plus because they have discounted cabins to change the cabin to non discounted and get the OBC it would be £900 per person EXTRA 😳😳 - I don't reacon that they bothered their arses personally and made that up.

I had also phoned Princess who told me that they would put me on a booking with OBC and it would cost £100 admin fee, but they couldn't do it as I had booked through a TA and they need to arrange it themselves with Princess on my behalf.

Now who's telling the truth - no ones owning up and I'm P****d off as I feel that I've been penalised for booking my cruise 1 week too early - moaned at TA but no interest as they've got my money.

Conclusion - be very wary who you use as a TA - I'll never use this TA again

Actions - not a lot I can do but I'm considering refusing to pay my gratuities on board (I usually would do) as it equates to approximately same as the OBC, when they ask why then give them the full story - dunno if it will get me anywhere but it'll make me feel better. I know it's not fair on ships staff but it's been done under protest

not a lot I can do but I'm considering refusing to pay my gratuities on board (I usually would do) as it equates to approximately same as the OBC, when they ask why then give them the full story - dunno if it will get me anywhere but it'll make me feel better. I know it's not fair on ships staff but it's been done under protest

Yes punish the crew, after all it's their fault that you have a bad TA. :rolleyes:

Yes punish the crew, after all it's their fault that you have a bad TA. :rolleyes:

First thing is I said I was considering it not actually made up my mind yet

And

I don't need your sarcasm - I'll make my own decisions !!

First thing is I said I was considering it not actually made up my mind yet

And

I don't need your sarcasm - I'll make my own decisions !!

Hello Phils,

I think the point being made is why even consider taking an action against the crew who is not involved with the issue? We ran into this issue after the Grand came out of dry dock right before a trans Atlantic. The ship wasn't prepared properly for the voyage. The crew worked like dogs to get the ship cleaned up properly. Yet, many of the passengers expressed their displeasure by indicating that they would stiff the crew for the bad dry dock management. I do know that your issue is different, but the bigger issue is how to express your displeasure to the offending party, which is your travel agent.

Princess does not charge an admin fee, seems like its your ta is assessing you an outrageous fee to make a simple call to Princess for you...

I had also phoned Princess who told me that they would put me on a booking with OBC and it would cost £100 admin fee, but they couldn't do it as I had booked through a TA and they need to arrange it themselves with Princess on my behalf.

Sounds like the £100 admin fee is from Princess, not the TA. UK booking rules apply.

Sounds like the £100 admin fee is from Princess, not the TA. UK booking rules apply.

Yes, the £100 admin fee is from Princess and applies to uk residents. We only get this one time price change with the Admin fee, and then we have to cancel and lose deposit and rebook.

Princess and now Royal Caribbean and I'm sure all the other cruise lines will follow suit, have decided to implement penalties if you book and want to make changes. Their reasoning, which is logical, is that so many people will book five or more cruises and pay the deposits, knowing full well they can get a full refund when they decide which cruise they are going to take. By doing this they are blocking hundreds of cabins and losing potential customers. I was interested in a Princess cruise to Mexico but couldn't fully commit and when I enquired about cancelling before final payment was due, I was told I'd lose $160 of my deposit per person. With regard to the OBC, I think if the base fare is the same they will give you the credit. However most likely the price has gone up and that's why they are offering the OBC to make it more attractive. Probably it's about a wash that's why they won't do it. I prefer to book directly through the cruise line as you stand the best chance of getting upgrades and perks

Edited by homers mom
Typo

Princess and now Royal Caribbean and I'm sure all the other cruise lines will follow suit, have decided to implement penalties if you book and want to make changes. Their reasoning, which is logical, is that so many people will book five or more cruises and pay the deposits, knowing full well they can get a full refund when they decide which cruise they are going to take. By doing this they are blocking hundreds of cabins and losing potential customers. I was interested in a Princess cruise to Mexico but couldn't fully commit and when I enquired about cancelling before final payment was due, I was told I'd lose $160 of my deposit per person. With regard to the OBC, I think if the base fare is the same they will give you the credit. However most likely the price has gone up and that's why they are offering the OBC to make it more attractive. Probably it's about a wash that's why they won't do it. I prefer to book directly through the cruise line as you stand the best chance of getting upgrades and perks

Yea the price has not risen at all on their website and yes I've learned a valuable lesson to book directly with the cruise line, which I normally do. The reason I didn't is that it's a part of the world I've never been too and the TA bundled the cruise together with flights and transfers so I used them.