The Haven:Sampling Your Suiteness

RCCL Fan

Hello, popped over from the other side of the website for some input.

We've heard wonderful things about the suites program on NCL and are planning to slip over and try you guys out.

I'm told "The Haven" is the place to be, and to choose a ship with it, as it gives you the best suite experience.

We have a question. Motion.

I've always lived by midship,midship,midship.

Whenever I'm forward on a ship you usually feel the pitch of the ship the most. Higher up is usually worse.

Makes me wonder why the nicest rooms are up there.

So, those who've done The Haven, how is the motion and wind?

I'm told even on non-Haven ships suites are often forward.

Have any feedback?

We were on the Epic in cabin 17001, forward facing 2 bedroom suite and felt quite a bit of movement (had sailed her in a mid-ship mini suite also and couldn't feel nearly as much movement).

My suggestion would be looking into an aft penthouse on either Breakaway or Getaway. Huge balconies with the Haven perks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The location of the suites on any ship varies. I haven't been on older, smaller ships, but on most ships in NCL fleet (Dawn class, Jewel class, Epic and Breakaway class) there are at least some suites all around the ship, in fwd, midship and aft.

If one definitely wants an midship suite and stay in Haven, I'd probably go with Jewel class Haven suites. On the other hand, Haven has better amenities (restaurant with also dinner service and bar) on newest ship but the Haven is located in fwd there - but then again, on newest ships all suites are Haven suites even if they do not reside in Haven per se.

Personally I'd say that having sailed on ships from all four newest class in NCL fleet, the ship doesn't matter nearly as much with the movement as the weather conditions (even when the seas seem calm, there can be side wind because of the heading of the ship etc) so I usually just bypass all the reviews that state that ship X is definitely more prone to movement than an older ship Y - and I'm one of those having Bonine with me on every cruise and using it on most.

Got hurried and forgot: We have sailed few times in SE category suites (other suite perks but no Haven access, but on those ships Haven is pretty much just private sun deck area without restaurant or bar) in very front of the ship (officers from the bridge can look down on the suite balconies) and never have suffered from the movement except on our very first cruise in Atlantic during winter storms going/returning from Canary Islands. Sure it is the worst place regarding movement but hasn't been a problem to me even though I'm really prone to seasickness. Other times I've really been sick we have been closer to midship.

Hi,

Take the plunge on the Getaway and you won't regret it. We were in a 2 bedroom Haven family suite, port side, on the Getaway and we don't remember feeling any undue motion in the suite. There was one sea day with heavy weather and huge swells where we felt the motion everywhere on the ship. They had to close the pools because it was unsafe.

We are Diamond on RCCL and have sailed in ocean view, balcony, mini suites and suites on Adventure, Freedom, Serenade, and Allure. We enjoy the concierge lounge, eating in Portofino for breakfast and lunch and having priority boarding, disembarking and tendering.

That being said, we have sailed balconies and the Haven on NCL and there is absolutely no comparison; NCL's Haven on the Getaway is head and shoulders above the suite program on any RCCL ship.

Our family's rule of thumb, if we are sailing ocean view or balconies, no one beats RCCL.

If we are sailing suites, it's NCL all the way.

I will tell you though, that overall, as nice as the Getaway is, it doesn't have the wow factor of the Freedom or Oasis Class. It's more like the Serenade outdie the Haven. Once in the Haven, though, it's a different, better, experience.

Enjoy!

Hello, popped over from the other side of the website for some input.

We've heard wonderful things about the suites program on NCL and are planning to slip over and try you guys out.

I'm told "The Haven" is the place to be, and to choose a ship with it, as it gives you the best suite experience.

We have a question. Motion.

I've always lived by midship,midship,midship.

Whenever I'm forward on a ship you usually feel the pitch of the ship the most. Higher up is usually worse.

Makes me wonder why the nicest rooms are up there.

So, those who've done The Haven, how is the motion and wind?

I'm told even on non-Haven ships suites are often forward.

Have any feedback?

Check out the Aft facing Penthouse on the Getaway. This isn't connected to the haven which is forward but you are still haven guests with all the perks and Butler included. And you can see the balconies in the Haven are small except for the balconies on the aft facing penthouses are huge!! You can have parties on them.

Another option on that is offered at least on the newer ships is a Haven Spa Suite. When looking on NCL's website, these suites are listed in the spa category as opposed to the Haven category.

It is more likely that these could be located mid-ship. You get all the perks associated with other Haven suites, but you will not be located in the Haven area and therefore might have to do some walking in order to enjoy the perks of the pool, sundeck and restaurant.

We stayed in 16001 on the Epic. Forward facing dead center. Never felt much. Really depends on how calm the seas are.

Haven was outstanding and I think we are ruined forever! Epic club restaurant and lounge was a true trip highlight. Service and food were both outstanding! Posh was perfection as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was in 2 different forward Epic suites and definitely could feel more motion but that is to be expected. You are very high decks 16 or 17 and way forward.

But if you don't like forward suites, check out the aft penthouse suites on Breakaway and Getaway. 2 full bathrooms but only one bedroom.

Nice to know I can choose other suites "not in the haven" and still get the perks, although the one little oasis area was what seemed appealing... but I guess there's no harm walking from aft to forward to enjoy the amenities.

I understand weather plays a role in movement. I am not the type that says one ship tools more than the other. I just have found forward cabins are rocky.

It just seems silly to me to but your high real estate, expensive cabins in a location where engineering will tell you will be the most rocky in bad weather. Just seems like odd decision making and use of space to me.

But nonetheless, I hear it's amazing and I want to try it! :-)

Everyone I know who frequents NCL/RCCL tells me, I must do the haven, otherwise I won't think the ships compare. I'm a picky one... hated my one try of Carnival, struggled with celebrity, but will go back.

So when I do NCL, the Haven it is! I want to love it.

We really want to do Pride of America and tour Hawaii. It sounds perfect, but it looks like that's an older ship with no Haven.

What's the offering on non-haven ships? How are the suite amenities different?

We really want to do Pride of America and tour Hawaii. It sounds perfect, but it looks like that's an older ship with no Haven.

FIrst of all, POA is the only US-flagged ship in any of the big cruise lines' fleet and because of that there is an all-American crew. Some feel that the experience regarding service etc is completely different compared to "regular" cruise ships with international crew. From what I've read, the ship is definitely not the destination there but because the itinerary is very unique, the ship constantly sells out.

So if you are trying NCL for the first time, keep in mind that POA is quite different from other NCL ships.

What comes to the suite perks, they are the same in all suites (categories starting with S or H) with the only difference being the Haven access on some ships (only categories starting with H) and free liquor and sodas/water on some of the very highest suite categories.

Other than those, all full suites get everything that makes NCL's suite life great - butler, dedicated restaurant for breakfast and lunch (on megaships also dinner in Haven restaurant), priority embarkation/disembarkation, priority tendering, concierge access (no free drinks in lounge though), daily snacks delivered by the butler, en-suite dining possibility, etc.

Edited by Demonyte

I sailed in an art facing penthouse suite on the breakaway to Bermuda and can tell you I thought it was absolutely the best of both worlds. Incredible cabin and balcony with all the haven access and amenities. I too get motion sickness and was able to really enjoy the cabin with little problem. Plus Bermuda is absolutely gorgeous if you are sailing the breakaway during the warmer season. Very strongly recommend sailing in an aft facing penthouse on either the breakaway (I've booked a second cruise in the same cabin) or getaway if you prefer the Caribbean ports.

Nice to know I can choose other suites "not in the haven" and still get the perks, although the one little oasis area was what seemed appealing... but I guess there's no harm walking from aft to forward to enjoy the amenities.

I understand weather plays a role in movement. I am not the type that says one ship tools more than the other. I just have found forward cabins are rocky.

It just seems silly to me to but your high real estate, expensive cabins in a location where engineering will tell you will be the most rocky in bad weather. Just seems like odd decision making and use of space to me.

But nonetheless, I hear it's amazing and I want to try it! :-)

Everyone I know who frequents NCL/RCCL tells me, I must do the haven, otherwise I won't think the ships compare. I'm a picky one... hated my one try of Carnival, struggled with celebrity, but will go back.

So when I do NCL, the Haven it is! I want to love it.

Listen, you are only setting yourself up to fail setting your expectations so high. The few perks you get aren't that amazing. They reserve a row or two of average seats on the side of the theater until ten minutes before the show, so what. There were tins of better seats available anyway. They drop off a plate of crappy snacks that are stale or soggy in the afternoon, who cares, there is plenty of food available anywhere you look. The haven restaurant? We did the Udp, which was great. Tried the haven restaurant one night and did not care for the menu...too foo foo for us. We loved the buffet for breakfast, because they fuss over you too much in the haven restaurant in the morning.

The whole thing just seemed oddly pretentious.

I have to pipe in and say I've sailed NCL in ocean views and balconies. Sure we had a great time, but nothing spectacular! THEN we went all out a did a Spa Haven cabin on the Breakaway.. We bought the dinner and beverage packages so we never had to worry about price and choices. Granted, it wasn't the biggest Haven cabin but the spa was wonderful and I enjoyed the whirlpool tub in my room. It was THE BEST vacation ever! Breakfast in the Haven every morning. Never have to worry about preplanned reservations ( Adrian, the concierge took care of everything! He's fabulous! ) Never have to fight for a seat on the lido deck... It was amazing! We were treated like royalty. Now we are booking an aft penthouse back on the BA and I honestly can't wait! That cruise definitely spoiled us when it comes to suite cruising! If you go on a newer NCL ship with the Haven, you will be forever changed.

Listen, you are only setting yourself up to fail setting your expectations so high. The few perks you get aren't that amazing. They reserve a row or two of average seats on the side of the theater until ten minutes before the show, so what. There were tins of better seats available anyway. They drop off a plate of crappy snacks that are stale or soggy in the afternoon, who cares, there is plenty of food available anywhere you look. The haven restaurant? We did the Udp, which was great. Tried the haven restaurant one night and did not care for the menu...too foo foo for us. We loved the buffet for breakfast, because they fuss over you too much in the haven restaurant in the morning.

So sounds like u need to stick to inside cabins

Agreed. Guess DW and I must be pretentious then. We ONLY sail in The Haven on the Norwegian BA class vessels. (Other classes we aren't as picky).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks to all for the comments on the Aft Penthouse Suite on BA and GA and the question from the OP. We are like the OP, always sailing RCCL and X in suites. We have the Aft Suite deck 12 for January 29th 2015. Last September sailed Reflection in the Eastern Mediterranean in a Celebrity Suite. Yes you get a Butler with access to Michaels and priority to everything else but what we are looking for is that "Haven Experience". :D

Have read a lot and learned a lot so will post when we return as to our experience.

My snacks have never been crappy. In fact my mother and I each had our own as she is diabetic. Hers were sugar free and delicious. And I love foo foo. Hate the buffet.

Isn't it wonderful we can all be different?

My snacks have never been crappy. In fact my mother and I each had our own as she is diabetic. Hers were sugar free and delicious. And I love foo foo. Hate the buffet.

Isn't it wonderful we can all be different?

Yes. The only thing we really enjoyed were the pink macaroons. They were absolutely melt in your mouth delicious. I wish they had them at the buffet or anywhere else but we couldnt find them anywhere.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

Yes you are right. I did not think it was worth two to three times that of a regular room.

The whole butler bringing the full meal to a small cabin seems odd to me, in light of the fact there are perfectly nice restaurants just down the hall.

Thats just me, other people may be different. The spice of life I guess.

The snacks...you aint missing much, except those lovely macaroons.

Here is my take:

We have not sailed on the larger ships (BA, GA, Epic), just Jewel and Dawn class, but we sail in suites. If you want midship in a Haven suite, then try the Jewel class ships. The 2BR are right there in the Haven, and all the Jewel class except the Jewel have a deluxe owner's suite just up the stairs from the Haven (though it isn't my favorite cabin for a variety of reasons).

The Haven experience on the Jewel class seems very different than on the larger, newer ships which have a larger pool area, restaurant in the Haven, lounge areas, etc. The Jewel Haven is smaller and more intimate and you go down one deck to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, or you can order meals in the Haven.

Our favorite cabin is the owner's suites on Jewel class. The are all the way up at the front of the ship, but we haven't had a problem with motion. Also, they have Haven priviledges, though it takes a bit of a trek to get there.

In Jewel class there are three basic levels in the full suites. All suites get butler, concierge, Cagney's for breakfast and lunch, afternoon snacks, etc. Haven suites have access to the Haven. Owner's suites, deluxe owner's suites and Garden Villas have free sodas, mixers and alcohol (not beer).

I hope this helps your decision making process.

We just got back from an aft suite on the Jewel, and thought it was great. Super quiet (nothing happening on the decks above or below on that side of the ship), nice balcony, full butler and concierge service. We were in the Haven for some type of "suite/VIP" (lots of labels in the suites!) reception, and for what its worth, several Havenites we chatted with found it to be pretty noisy, between the various children (its was over Christmas, so schools are closed) and the sound(s) traveling from the various deck activities and bands/DJ at the pool. The afternoon snacks were nice: our butler knew the days we were on excursions, and always added a plate of sandwiches to the regular canapé plate and plate of sweets, which I thought was a nice touch.

Sailing in a 2-bedroom Haven Family suite next month on the Jewel. Looking forward to it. Have sailed many lines and nearly all categories on NCL, except the Haven. It's interesting how views vary. That's why there's a vacation product for everyone! ;);)

Yes you are right. I did not think it was worth two to three times that of a regular room.

The whole butler bringing the full meal to a small cabin seems odd to me, in light of the fact there are perfectly nice restaurants just down the hall.

I enjoy going out to dinner too. But on those certain days, after a long and tiring excursion, nothing beats heading back to the suite, taking a hot bath or shower, slipping into the pjs and having Le Bistro served ensuite. Heaven. Chocolate fondue suite dreams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do understand that your butler can and will bring you anything you want? You don't have to have the programmed suite snacks at all, you can literally have anything you want...anything. You could have had those macaroons and nothing but those macaroons every day.