Poll: bring Iphone or Ipad mini?

Motorcycle Gma

Would you bring your Iphone and/or Ipad mini to Venice & Florence? Why or why not?? We are also cruising Greek isles.

I want to for the convenience of maps, contacting home, and Rick Steve's narrations. I will only use on Wi-Fi (no data).

I would bring both on the cruise and plan to use one or the other when ashore. I always travel with my iPad mini, and just bought a handbag specially for carrying it. Even my toys have toys. :)

I would bring both on the cruise and plan to use one or the other when ashore. I always travel with my iPad mini, and just bought a handbag specially for carrying it. Even my toys have toys. :)

Thank you both for your response.

Can you share what type of handbag you got or where? :) That's the next problem!

Thank you both for your response.

Can you share what type of handbag you got or where? :) That's the next problem!

It's a Pacsafe CitySafe 100. I wanted a secure handbag for travelling, just large enough to hold the iPad mini and a couple of other things. It's got steel cables in the handles, clips for the zips, etc. it won't win any beauty prizes, but it's tough and useful. Pacsafe also do the Intasafe Z100 and other bags especially made for tablets and iPads. I looked at them but I liked the CitySafe style better.

On my most recent 10 day cruise I decided to only use my iPhone 5s as my camera. I was worried about running out of space (16gb), so I brought along my iPad mini for backup space.

I used the new AirDrop feature (with iOS 7 and iPhone 5) and was able to clear my phone on sea days. I also took the time to organize all my pictures before I got home - so I was ready for a slide show just in case anyone asked!

I bought a Mini to take with me on my trip to Italy (land trip) a year ago. I had always traveled with a laptop and wanted to move to something I could take with me, not just have in the hotel room. I was also in between jobs and wanted to be able to keep in touch with potential job offers. I bought my Mini from the Apple Store nearby - got the 16GB ATT model. The T-Mo model wasn't available yet, but I knew the ATT model had the correct bandwidths to use all over with if I bought a simple SIM card. I never activated it on ATT until long after I got home. I just used it in wifi mode until I got to Italy, then bought a SIM card from TIM. Opened up a whole new and fun world to me! Active maps, instant translations, ability to make my friend jealous with a "photo of the day" on my Facebook page, take spur-of-the-moment photos (especially of my meals), GPS when I was driving, keeping up with job offers (I took a job 3 weeks after I got back). I can't see going anywhere without it anymore.

Oh, I do NOT own a smartphone. So the Mini now does everything for me but make phone calls ;)

Edited by slidergirl

Oh, I just carry my Mini in whatever bag I'm carrying that day. In Italy, I used my Sherpani Verona cross-body bag. It carried everything I wanted for a day, all the while looking fashionable ;) I have never felt the need for a specialized secure "tourist" bag like the Pac-Safe.

It's a Pacsafe CitySafe 100. I wanted a secure handbag for travelling, just large enough to hold the iPad mini and a couple of other things. It's got steel cables in the handles, clips for the zips, etc. it won't win any beauty prizes, but it's tough and useful. Pacsafe also do the Intasafe Z100 and other bags especially made for tablets and iPads. I looked at them but I liked the CitySafe style better.

I just bought the same bag for Ipad mini, cell phone, RFID feature for passports & credit card.

Air Canada Rouge airlines, which we fly for our Rome to Montreal flight, requires an Ipad for in-flight entertainment. I know my Ipad mini is small, but DH will have to rent an Ipad onboard.

Karen

I just bought the same bag for Ipad mini, cell phone, RFID feature for passports & credit card.

Air Canada Rouge airlines, which we fly for our Rome to Montreal flight, requires an Ipad for in-flight entertainment. I know my Ipad mini is small, but DH will have to rent an Ipad onboard.

Karen

If we meet on a cruise someday, we'll have to develop a secret Pacsafe handshake. :). That's interesting about the airline requiring an iPad for entertainment. I wonder if all the airlines will go that way one day.

Oh, I just carry my Mini in whatever bag I'm carrying that day. In Italy, I used my Sherpani Verona cross-body bag. It carried everything I wanted for a day, all the while looking fashionable ;) I have never felt the need for a specialized secure "tourist" bag like the Pac-Safe.

I started feeling the need for pickpocket-resistant handbags right after I got my pocket picked in Bologna. The girl who got me was so good, she was in and out of my shoulder bag in seconds, taking only the Euros, leaving the sterling and credit cards. I know people say they always keep a hand on their bag, and so did I, but she gave me a hefty shove on a crowded bus. I had to put my arms out to stop myself falling onto the people in the seats. That's when she opened my bag, took my money and disappeared. I know no handbag is completely pickpocket-proof, but I want to do my best to make mine difficult enough to get into that pickpockets will choose an easier target.

Edited by lisiamc

I'm using my iPad for 1st time on forum. I couldn't figure out that Tapatalk app on my iPhone. Seems not intuitive at all, but that's for another board!

Lots of good advice, thanks. I ordered a Pacsafe & a different Travelon bag today! We'll see which one feels best & fits best. Have a good weekend. We'll be packing as we leave Wednesday.

Slider girl, I've heard u can use IPad in wifi mode for FaceTime calls & texts to other iPhones. Can't wait to try this!

I'm using my iPad for 1st time on forum. I couldn't figure out that Tapatalk app on my iPhone. Seems not intuitive at all, but that's for another board!

Lots of good advice, thanks. I ordered a Pacsafe & a different Travelon bag today! We'll see which one feels best & fits best. Have a good weekend. We'll be packing as we leave Wednesday.

Slider girl, I've heard u can use IPad in wifi mode for FaceTime calls & texts to other iPhones. Can't wait to try this!

yes, you can do FaceTime and Messages to other iPhones/iPads/iTouch. But, you have to have someone who had the requisite iPhone/iPad/iTouch. My friends are a mix of Apple/Android...

On any wifi, you can use Skype for free video chats and messaging between Apple and Android users. Phone calls on Skype, using wifi, are charged by the minute.

If you get everyone set up before you leave (download, create acct and test), it's a great way to keep in touch.

My son backpacked around Europe for 3 weeks this summer and we communicated almost everyday using Skype.

all my bags that I carry have full zipper compartments. I use a mini-carabiner that screws to "lock" the zipper toggle to the ring of the strap. If I'm carrying a daypack, the same carabiners hold the zippers together. You can't get into the bag without unscrewing the carabiner and slipping the zipper toggle off the carabiner. Takes longer than a pickpocket wants - he/she will move on to another tourist…

It doesn't take much to make a bag as "safe" as a Pac-Safe, and it doesn't stand out. I've been "bumped" a few times on public transportation all over. But I haven't been picked yet…I don't know if I've been "lucky" or that I travel solo and not with a group - maybe I don't appear to be a target-rich environment ;)

I wouldn't and won't take either; just one more thing to carry and worry about.

My feeling is .... there's nothing I can do about it when I'm thousands of miles away so I don't need to know or want to know until I get home.

Carry the Rick Steves book with you so you have the maps and narrative, then leave it behind at the ship's library.

If you NEED to get in touch with someone, use a pay phone & phone card, or email from an internet cafe or the ship.

Edited by mapleleaves

I wouldn't and won't take either; just one more thing to carry and worry about.

My feeling is .... there's nothing I can do about it when I'm thousands of miles away so I don't need to know or want to know until I get home.

Carry the Rick Steves book with you so you have the maps and narrative, then leave it behind at the ship's library.

If you NEED to get in touch with someone, use a pay phone & phone card, or email from an internet cafe or the ship.

That's fine for "you". If I need to get in touch with someone I want to use "my" phone or tablet.

Also sometimes there are things I can do from thousands of miles away.

And the GPS on my phone makes finding places a lot easier than maps. Like the Jewish Ghetto in Venice last year. I know several who failed to find it from maps.

That's fine for "you". If I need to get in touch with someone I want to use "my" phone or tablet.

Also sometimes there are things I can do from thousands of miles away.

And the GPS on my phone makes finding places a lot easier than maps. Like the Jewish Ghetto in Venice last year. I know several who failed to find it from maps.

True. I can't use my Perla Rome or Minchelli Rome restaurant finder apps without my Mini (if I'm hungry, I want to search out someplace these two fine women recommend!!). I can't find the right translation of a sign or a request from a tourist guide like Steves. If I need to find a pharmacy, store, etc., I can use my Google Maps on my Mini. And, sitting at a cafe, looking at your iPad/iPhone/Galaxy looks like you may be another local sitting at the cafe. Sitting a cafe, looking at your Rick Steves book and maps looks like you are, well, pickpocket territory...

Sitting a cafe, looking at your Rick Steves book and maps looks like you are, well, pickpocket territory...

it's no different that being focused on an iphone or ipad. In any tourist destination you need to be aware of your surroundings.

I've been travelling for 30+ years without incident ... the key is be aware and take appropriate precautions.

I bought a Mini to take with me on my trip to Italy (land trip) a year ago. I had always traveled with a laptop and wanted to move to something I could take with me, not just have in the hotel room. I was also in between jobs and wanted to be able to keep in touch with potential job offers. I bought my Mini from the Apple Store nearby - got the 16GB ATT model. The T-Mo model wasn't available yet, but I knew the ATT model had the correct bandwidths to use all over with if I bought a simple SIM card. I never activated it on ATT until long after I got home. I just used it in wifi mode until I got to Italy, then bought a SIM card from TIM. Opened up a whole new and fun world to me! Active maps, instant translations, ability to make my friend jealous with a "photo of the day" on my Facebook page, take spur-of-the-moment photos (especially of my meals), GPS when I was driving, keeping up with job offers (I took a job 3 weeks after I got back). I can't see going anywhere without it anymore.

Oh, I do NOT own a smartphone. So the Mini now does everything for me but make phone calls ;)

If you have a Skype account, it will make phone calls for you. Dirt cheap, too.:D

Pickpockets LOVE iphones as they are worth lots of $$ in europe. Watch those apple products and NEVER ask just anyone to take your photo. I'm bringing my old phone (android) which I'll use for wifi or random pics where I don't have my bigger camera out. I have reset it and loaded it with map apps that don't need internet to work and will be able to get emails from any wifi I may come across in port. I'm currently searching for a new day pack and camera strap that is more secured.

For the maps, I highly recommend an app called "City Maps To Go". You can pre-download the city maps (when you have data), and then you have a google-map like program when you get there.

Also; if you haven't; there's an app/website called Tripit; also a must have for travellers. After you've signed up when you get a reservation (for darn near anything), you just forward it to TripIt and it files it all away. Like City Maps, it keeps a copy of your full itinery on your phone/tablet