Lucca/Pisa with 21 year olds

Sheal

After dreaming of Cinque Terre for the last 5 months RC switched our port from La Spezia to LIvorno on our cruise next May. Not sure why, the cruise before and the two after are still going to La Spezia, probably all of them but mine.:(

Anyway, my daughter and her BF will be with us. I am looking at taking the train to Pisa for a quick visit and then onto Lucca. Our port time is still 7AM to 7 PM so I am not too worried about having enough time. For the past 5 months all of us including the grandparents have been looking forward to hiking the paths, dipping our feet in the ocean and poking around the small towns.

I know we can rent bikes, but other than that, are there any other activities that they might enjoy? I am concerned this town might be too quiet.

Thoughts, views, advice on activities are all welcome.

What about Livorno? Anything interesting there if we want to spend an hour or two before we leave?

Sheal

You haven't said how you are planning to get to Pisa and Lucca, if you're using the trains you may not have as much time as you think.

It's easy to get there and back by train, but it does take time.

First you need to get to the train station in Livorno; with six of you the best idea is to get a cab directly from the ship. They will charge you 25 Euro but it's worth it to get there ahead of the crowd using the shuttle bus followed by the public bus.

From Pisa Centrale to the Piazza dei Miracoli is either a 10 minute cab ride or a pleasant 30 minute walk.

If some of you want to climb the tower it's a good idea to book in advance.

The cathedral and baptistry at Pisa are worth spending time visiting.

So let's say you make the 8 AM train from Livorno, arriving at Pisa Centrale at 8:15. Assuming you walk you'll be at the tower area by 8:45.

You can get a train to Lucca at 10:25, or else wait until 12:25, depending on how much you want to see and do in Pisa. Unfortunately there's a hole in the schedule at midday, so you've got to choose one or the other.

The train to Lucca leaves from the Pisa S. Rossore station, which is quite close to the tower area, so you only need to allow 15 minutes at the most to walk there.

The train to Lucca takes a little less than a half hour, so if you get the 10:25 train you'll be there by 11 AM. If you get the 12:25 it will be 1 PM.

To get back to Livorno on time (6:30 PM), you'd need to be on 4:42 train (arrives 5:48, leaving you about a half hour to get back to the ship from the train station). However, it's a good idea to take the train before the last one, which would be the 4:12 (arriving at 5:19).

The point, which I realized I've buried in all the detail, is that you won't have all that much time in Lucca even if you take the morning train. It leaves you time to see the key sites, enjoy a nice lunch and a walk (or bike ride) on the walls before heading back.

I second the suggestion to take a cab to the train station. (The first time we were there, we were the first ones off the ship & took a shared shuttle for 5 Euros each. Since then, the port has made improvements, with a nice welcome center. We waited longer to leave this year, but we didn't see the shared shuttles this time. We did the round trip port bus + local bus to train station). Both times, we "just missed" the train, waiting 45 min the first time & 58 the 2nd for the next one. I say this because despite your planning, be aware that getting to the train station is a journey of its own that's not completely in your control. (Our entire local bus missed the train because a fellow passenger got hyper and convinced half the bus to get off prematurely and then they all had to get back on.....missed the train by 1 or 2 minutes & had to wait an hour!). It's funny that just getting to the train station will involve almost as much time & money --- if not more --- than getting to your destination. But it's worth it!

You may have guide books that tell you trains depart every half hour & this is true in general, but certain hours have "gaps" where there will be an hour between trains! So even the most reputable books aren't entirely accurate with their schedules. So do check the trenitalia website to verify schedules.

While on the subject of Lucca, could someone who has done the 1/2 hr bus from Lucca to Pisa (or vice-versa) tell us where to board the bus in Pisa? Tried to find this on a recent trip & was sent outside the walled area (the bus stop indicated the airport.....is this correct?). Just missed that one, but not certain it's the same bus mentioned in Rick Steves' guidebook (the one that supposedly has hourly departures). Also, where to find the schedules for this bus? (The local TI gave me incorrect info).

(Not to give false hope, but for whatever it's worth, our ship ended up offering an excursion to the Cinque Terre from Livorno. I know you wouldn't have as much time to explore, but maybe yours will offer one & you will have a chance to visit the places you dreamed about).

I hope you have a great trip!

After dreaming of Cinque Terre for the last 5 months ... For the past 5 months all of us including the grandparents have been looking forward to hiking the paths, dipping our feet in the ocean and poking around the small towns.
After re-reading your post I would suggest you consider either a car service or renting a car and driving yourself to Cinque Terre. If you've all been looking forward to it, it would be a shame to miss it. If you've got six people you can probably get a driver and van for about the same price you would pay for a ship tour. For even less you could rent a car for the day and drive it.

Car services with permits can meet you right at the ship in Livorno and head right out. They could have you to even the furthest of the towns (Monterosso al Mare) in less than two hours.

euro cruiser,

Thanks for mapping it out, when I see it on paper I realize that I don't have all that much time. Certainly not enough time for anyone to be bored.

I did a quick look at the trenitalia time tables last night but did not consider what syesmar pointed out, that a lot of time is spent just getting to the train and then to the site. It is starting to come back to me just how much time we spent waiting for buses/trains the last time we were in Europe.

I did read about the taxis to the Livorno train station to save time but I wasn't sure if they were waiting by the port. That was my next question.

I was still kicking around the idea of going to Cinque Terre. My sister just did the excursion through Celebrity last month and had the misfortune of a bus with no air conditioning combined with the train broken down for 1 hour while they waited on the platform. The rest of the tour was a blur as the guide tried to squeeze everything in. She did say that if they had just stayed in the first town it would have been just fine.

I was also considering the idea of driving, if we set out early we could have a good 6 hours to explore a few of the towns. My in-laws have driven in Italy on their previous trips. They will be back in Venice next February for Carnival. Just happened to mention that to me last week.

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate the help you provide here on these boards.

Sheal

euro cruiser,

Thanks for mapping it out, when I see it on paper I realize that I don't have all that much time. Certainly not enough time for anyone to be bored.

I did a quick look at the trenitalia time tables last night but did not consider what syesmar pointed out, that a lot of time is spent just getting to the train and then to the site. It is starting to come back to me just how much time we spent waiting for buses/trains the last time we were in Europe.

I did read about the taxis to the Livorno train station to save time but I wasn't sure if they were waiting by the port. That was my next question.

I was still kicking around the idea of going to Cinque Terre. My sister just did the excursion through Celebrity last month and had the misfortune of a bus with no air conditioning combined with the train broken down for 1 hour while they waited on the platform. The rest of the tour was a blur as the guide tried to squeeze everything in. She did say that if they had just stayed in the first town it would have been just fine.

I was also considering the idea of driving, if we set out early we could have a good 6 hours to explore a few of the towns. My in-laws have driven in Italy on their previous trips. They will be back in Venice next February for Carnival. Just happened to mention that to me last week.

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate the help you provide here on these boards.

Sheal

You could also take the train to Cinque Terre. This is less than 2 hours if the schedule works with your times would give you a decent amount of time to hike around the villages without the hassle of driving and especially parking. This also lets you start in one village and walk in one direction before taking the train back to Livorno. You should be able to cover 3 villages at a leisurely pace or all 5 if you want to do nothing but walk.

Instead of Trenitalia I find the easiest site for all European train times is the German National Train site. Search "bahn english" to find it.

Car services with permits can meet you right at the ship in Livorno and head right out. They could have you to even the furthest of the towns (Monterosso al Mare) in less than two hours.

A car service is a great idea! Everyone gets to enjoy the ride. Plus you don't have to worry about train strikes or breakdowns (or hopping on the wrong train by accident which we did twice! :o).

mapleleaves,

You are so right. Getting to the station is only half the battle. A private driver is more money than doing it on your own but when time is limited it takes away a lot of the stress. I was on the Rick Steve's website that asked people for their biggest euro blunders. I would say 95% involved trains and people missing them or taking them in the wrong direction or doors closing before the whole party could get off. We fall into the last category, husband stepped off the tube in London and, before the in-laws and I could get off, the stampede getting on blocked our exit. Whoosh, doors shut and away we go.

The lesson we learned - move fast and don't be afraid to push your way through. Lessons husband learned - know the name of your hotel and be aware that stations have more than one exit. He arrived at the hotel at just about the same time as us (we got off at the next stop).

Funny stuff afterwards!

Thanks everyone!

Sheal

Sheal,

Have you checked your roll call to see if someone has a tour planned that you can join? That may be another option for you. Or maybe you could organize one and have people share it with you. That really keeps the cost down and it's a lot less hassle for you.

Also, do a search on Tripadvisor for private drivers for Tuscany. There are many good ones out there and I don't think we can post names here.

mapleleaves,

I was on the Rick Steve's website that asked people for their biggest euro blunders. I would say 95% involved trains and people missing them or taking them in the wrong direction or doors closing before the whole party could get off. We fall into the last category, husband stepped off the tube in London and, before the in-laws and I could get off, the stampede getting on blocked our exit. Whoosh, doors shut and away we go.

We actually ran into Rick Steves when we were in Cinque Terre!

I think everyone has hopped on the wrong train or left members of their group at a tube platform. Not everyone will admit it though! :o

We visited Cinque Terre from Livorno on our 2012 Med cruise and it was one of our favorite ports. I agree with euro cruiser, it would be a shame for you to miss it since you have been dreaming about it.

We toured with Simply Firenze and even with the longer drive we were able to visit all five villages, have a delightful lunch in Vernazza, go for a lovely swim in Monterosso, and see it by foot, train and ferry. And on the way to Cinque Terre we had a quick stop in Pisa to see the Leaning Tower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't waste all your precious time trying to take the train, walking from the train to the Sacred Compound and then to Lucca.

We took the NCL tour to Pisa and Lucca and very much enjoyed the tour. We had plenty of time to see the Baptistry and Cathedral, which are worth a look.

If you want to go up in the leaning tower, you may not be able to do that is the heavy tourist season unless you book in advance.

We had already gone up in the tower in 1990 when we lived in Germany.

Lucca is great, we had plenty of time on our tour to see the historical sites, shop and have a nice lunch.

We visited Cinque Terre from Livorno on our 2012 Med cruise and it was one of our favorite ports. I agree with euro cruiser, it would be a shame for you to miss it since you have been dreaming about it.

We toured with Simply Firenze and even with the longer drive we were able to visit all five villages, have a delightful lunch in Vernazza, go for a lovely swim in Monterosso, and see it by foot, train and ferry. And on the way to Cinque Terre we had a quick stop in Pisa to see the Leaning Tower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kimberly,

I checked with Simply Firenze and was told it was about 2 hours to Riomaggiore, with 4 hours to spend exploring the towns and then 2 hours back. Did you have a longer day trip with them in order to do all those things including the trip to Pisa?

Thanks, Sheal

Might be helpful to lay out some cost issues. If you are going to take the train to Pisa or Lucca (or both) or anywhere else you will need a taxi to get to the train station (forget the idea of the bus to the center of Livorno and then a bus to the station). The taxi between the port and station (when you can find one) will charge you 20-25 Euros so a group of 4 can figure on about 10 Euros per person...round trip..just to get the station. You then need to pay for your train tickets and might also want to use taxis in Pisa (although it can be walked). So you will possibly shell out over 50 Euros on taxis, plus might have to deal with significant delays until you find a taxi willing to take you to the station.

So, a rental car will cost you more money, but if you rent from an outfit like Sifracar (the local Hertz franchiser) they can usually have your car waiting at the pier. You get off the ship, quickly do your paperwork, and you are on your way. If you want to drive all the way to Riomaggiore it is about 1 1/2 hours each way (we have done it in 1:15). With 4 in the taxi you cost will be about 30-35 Euros per person (Sifracar charges a premium to deliver to the pier) but you will have the car pier-side to pier-side. One important factor (especially for fellow Americans) is that the norm for rental cars are manual shifts (stick shifts). If you cannot drive a stick you might have a problem even getting a car...and if you can get an automatic you may pay over 50% more for the car.

One caution on driving is that the city of Pisa has a ZTL (Limited Driving Zone) in the area surrounding the Tower....so you need to be cautious where you drive and park.

As to parking, there is plenty of parking outside the walls of Lucca, Pisa has paid parking near the Tower (free on the street parking is difficult), and Riomaggiore has a paid parking lot/garage right in the town.

Hank

P.S. We always suggest that having a GPS (whether your own or a rental) is a very good idea.

Edited by Hlitner

Hank,

I remember reading that another cruiser (maybe you?) mentioned getting their car through Hertz and that it was right at the pier (make shift office under a tent) but I wasn't sure what time the car would be there and it appeared that the Hertz office in Livorno did not open until 8:30 AM and would be closed by the time we return due to the limited Saturday hours.

I planned to get a taxi to the Livorno train and was hoping to catch the train to S. Rossero to shorten the walk time. My original plan was Pisa Centrale then taxi to the tower. I did not consider that the taxis may be scarce.

With respect to GPS, We will have our phones with us as I believe you said in another post that getting back to the port from Lucca was a bit tricky and that GPS was a must. If we decide to rent I will be sure to know where the paid parking is.:)

Stick shift is not an issue for DH or FIL. Me, I tried to learn on a rental in Hawaii, lets just say me driving is not an option.

1hr 15 minutes to Cinque Terre seems like no big deal if I could get the car early enough. That was my impression but when the private car companies said 1hr 45 to 2hrs I was starting to reconsider my plan. I'm not interested in going with the ship all that much either.

I just sent a request to Sifra.

Knowing your considerable experience driving in Europe, would you consider picking up a rental in Nice or Villefranche sur mer and driving to Cinque Terre, spending the night and dropping the car off in Livorno? I'm not sure this is even possible with a rental. The plan would be to leave by 4 and get to La Spezia by 8 (sunset). Thought it might be nice to spend the night in CT to get a real feel for the place. I'm also thinking it might be a bit much for our first visit.

Thanks for all of your help.

Sheal

Sheal,

Forget about a one-way rental from France to Italy. Many rental companies will not even do it and the ones that do allow the option usually charge outrageous drop fees. For really long term rentals (over 21 days) there are some leasing options that can work (at a price) but it has been years since we could find an option for shorter rentals. If you really want to jump off the ship in France, then consider taking the train into Italy and picking up a rental at the train station. The reality is that what you want to do is going to be somewhat difficult.

As to the Sifracar hours, you should get some answers via e-mail. We are not sure if they will accommodate your hours on a Saturday (after all, it is Italy). There was a time they would just have you park near the pier and leave the keys under the mat, but not sure if this is still an option with the current port security.

As to taxis at Livorno, we have always been able to get a taxi, but it can sometimes be difficult. Most of the taxi drivers will refuse the short hauls into Livorno so you have to be a bit assertive and keep asking them for help. In one case where we could not find any taxi to do the trip, one of the other drivers was nice enough to call us another local taxi...but we did have to wait about a half hour. We suggest getting off the ship ASAP and then keep your fingers crossed.

If returning to Livorno by train, do not wait until the last minute unless you have a good Plan B (how to catch up to the ship). There are times when there are no taxis waiting at the Livorno train station which means you have to wait! What we do is quickly get off the train (among the first folks) and rush as quickly as possible though the station, out the door, and to the taxi queue. If there are only 2 taxis and you are the third to get to the queue you are out of luck.

Hank

Kimberly,

I checked with Simply Firenze and was told it was about 2 hours to Riomaggiore, with 4 hours to spend exploring the towns and then 2 hours back. Did you have a longer day trip with them in order to do all those things including the trip to Pisa?

Thanks, Sheal

I looked back at our trip information and we were reserved for nine hours. We did not spend a lot of time in Pisa, just enough to see the tower and walk around a bit.

I do not remember it taking 2 hours each way.

Kimberly,

It seems 9 hours is the standard amount of time for all of the tour companies for 12 hour port days. Sounds like you lucked out with a fast driver.

Hank,

I suspected the Nice to Cinque Terre would not be easy, otherwise someone would have done it already. I was curious about one way car rentals so I killed two birds with one stone.

Sifracar already responded asking me how I was arriving and where I wanted to return the car. I did point out the fact I am there on a Saturday so I will know soon if they can accommodate us. In this day and age I would be surprised if they let us leave the car after hours.

I was thinking of getting off the ship by 7:30 but now I am wondering if any taxis will be around, being Italy and all. Plus the fact that I don't have all that much time to convince them to take us to the Livorno train station.

We have a group of six, will getting one taxi be even more of an issue? Should we consider taking a taxi to Pisa then the train to Lucca to ensure we get to Pisa at a reasonable hour?

Thanks,

Sheal

The idea of sharing a taxi to Pisa is a great "Plan B" in the event you cannot get a taxi to the train station. Just keep your options open and practice your negotiating skills (to prepare for the taxi drivers). The reality of the Port of Livorno is that most of the cruise ships dock in a part of the port that is far from the port entrance...and where walking is not an option. So you are at the mercy of taxis, the few rental car agencies that can get inside the port, and the cruise ship's shuttle bus (which only takes you into Livorno...but not near the station.

We once rented a car which had to be dropped at the so-called "Port Shopping Center" which is a small building near the port entrance. When the 4 of us returned in the afternoon, we dropped the car at that building and then we all walked back to our Princess ship (more then a mile). We were stopped several times by security people and we did a great job of making all the appropriate gestures with our arms and hands (it is Italy). When we finally reached the ship it was roped off by a long "Police Line" tape. We just ducked under the tape and walked to the gangplank...while a few more security people just stared...but did nothing. We really were wondering if we would all be arrested (wonder if they have good pasta in Italian jails) but it was not to be :).

As to dropping cars, keep in mind that you would do this deep inside a pretty secure port. This used to be the norm for Sifracar...but you will have to wait until they tell you their current policy.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner