Discovery next month

Hmm, for the first time since our first cruise, I am feeling a bit apprehensive about going on a Thomson cruise!

Very mixed reviews on the Discovery and only 54% "loved" her :eek:

I think the ship will be very nice judging by photos, but not sure if it still has that Thomson touch! Latest reports on facebook, of the pool being closed several times because of something floating in the pool (possibly chocolate cake! possibly not!) After my experience on the Dream 3 years ago, I am paranoid about ships being kept spotlessly clean! It seems that there are a lot of children running riot and parents not keeping them in control. Of course we are going in term time, but I am concerned that Thomson are dumbing down and not as was promised a new era, a bit more upmarket. Several reviews have mentioned that the ship is not like the Thomson we know and love. Several people were not told it was a family friendly ship and there were in fact over 350 children on board one week and quite chaotic round the pool by all accounts. I know a few people on here and facebook have said they will not go on Thomson again.

I hope this doesn't come across as snobby :eek: I just think Thomson/Tui should make up their mind which way they are going. Perhaps the way forward is to have different types of ships within the fleet.

Having cruised with Thomsons at least 15 times. Have never had a bad cruise. Perhaps we have been lucky. We have found cleanliness better than on other cruise lines we have cruised with. Have yet to sail on Discovery, but do feel August is quite chaotic wherever you holiday. People are always ready to complain and you really do need to see for yourself Linda. Do really hope you have a great time.

Having cruised with Thomsons at least 15 times. Have never had a bad cruise. Perhaps we have been lucky. We have found cleanliness better than on other cruise lines we have cruised with. Have yet to sail on Discovery, but do feel August is quite chaotic wherever you holiday. People are always ready to complain and you really do need to see for yourself Linda. Do really hope you have a great time.

Well said. Can't wait to explore her myself in October................ mind you, ours is an adult only one!! You get on there and have a great time. xx

There are far too few reviews so far to form a representative sample plus many cruise forums have reports of similar problems. When I was aboard outside term time there were few children in evidence. Discovery is a step up in hardware for Thomson but as I mentioned elsewhere it is not exactly the same product. They may be trying to go up market as the shops seemed to be very expensive. I found the Live room far too loud for my taste but generally I enjoyed my cruise, much better than P&O IMO.

I notice that the ship does not seem to have any 3 berth cabins. there are a lot of 4 berths giving over 300 beds for the 'little darlings'. I have not checked but think she has more than the average for a cruise ship, and they have to be filled. I remember when Ventura joined the P&O fleet, everybody hated her. a few years later and she is fine.

My advice is go with an open mind and if you don't like hordes of kids avoid the school hols :)

I notice that the ship does not seem to have any 3 berth cabins. there are a lot of 4 berths giving over 300 beds for the 'little darlings'. I have not checked but think she has more than the average f few years later and she is fine.

According to someone on fb she has been moved from a cabin to another one because the original one wasn't for 3 people. Lots of people have been moved from their chosen cabins because they are a couple in 3 or 4 bed cabins. They have been refunded their £45, but that is not the point. TBH the deck plans are not very clear as to what cabin has what beds! Our cabin has a square on it, which means double bed, but who knows? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your comments everyone. I shall, of course, go on the cruise as it is all paid for, and I expect it will all be fine. Perhaps not such a good idea to look at reviews! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

According to someone on fb she has been moved from a cabin to another one because the original one wasn't for 3 people. Lots of people have been moved from their chosen cabins because they are a couple in 3 or 4 bed cabins. They have been refunded their £45, but that is not the point. TBH the deck plans are not very clear as to what cabin has what beds! Our cabin has a square on it, which means double bed, but who knows? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your comments everyone. I shall, of course, go on the cruise as it is all paid for, and I expect it will all be fine. Perhaps not such a good idea to look at reviews! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thomson deck plans are never reliable in the detail they offer. The Discovery one has incorrect layouts for the internal spaces. for example the area in the glasshouse with the tables is actually the servery/galley/bar and the tables are actually along the outside edges of the pool. Again with the buffet, the layout is nothing like that shown on the plan.

Try comparing your paper deck plan with the interactive one on the web site. clicking the boxes below the plan should highlight those cabin types - mostly :rolleyes:

Two things spring to mind with people's expectations/requirements for Discovery.

1. We need realistic and honest reviews - not just reviews that are just focussing on the bad bits.

2. Thomsons really need to get to grips with what is happening on board their new ship and how it is sold to customers. They should be taking into account the experiences of their customers (many repeat ones) and listen to what is being said and happening and take suitable action.

This is just my opinion but having had a brilliant cruise on Celebration over the new year I am beginning to wonder about our Discovery one early next year......

SWFC - Have a great cruise and give us your best Sheffield views when you return ;);)

Two things spring to mind with people's expectations/requirements for Discovery.

1. We need realistic and honest reviews - not just reviews that are just focussing on the bad bits.

2. Thomsons really need to get to grips with what is happening on board their new ship and how it is sold to customers. They should be taking into account the experiences of their customers (many repeat ones) and listen to what is being said and happening and take suitable action.

This is just my opinion but having had a brilliant cruise on Celebration over the new year I am beginning to wonder about our Discovery one early next year......

SWFC - Have a great cruise and give us your best Sheffield views when you return ;);)

They are doing this. It is Discovery's first season and the first TUI ship for Thomson. they will look at the first season and make appropriate changes where possible. This pool of knowledge will be useful when they introduce TUI Discovery TUI - sorry 2 :)

When I was aboard I was told that she is carrying extra crew to give flexibility in working out the new operating procedures. Half way through the cruise they changed the food layout in Islands. this confused David no end as I am not at my best when seeking my bran flakes at 7am ;) Before I knew it the food manager had arrived from the gym in her tracksuit to explain they were still seeking the optimum arrangements.

One thing I did like about Discovery like other Thomson ships is they segregate the 'butlins' entertainment into one lounge, unlike P&O who spread the dreaded quizzes over the whole ship :(

One experience on the same ship can be very different to the next time (as we both know :eek::D) never mind differences between ships. The main cause for concern seems to be the number or more particularly the behaviour of some children in the reviews so far. That's not likely to be an issue for you once the schools have gone back so I think you have every reason to be optimistic and with good entertainment, good service and food I'm sure you will have a great time.

We all have different priorities and each cruise has a different mix of pluses and minuses. We've never had a bad cruise (thankfully not had your terrible experience of being ill - that would affect my perception - a lot!) it's just that in drawing comparisons we do tend to end up with favourite ships/cruises but even that's sometimes for different reasons - itinerary/company/value for money /even the weather etc.

So I'll look forward to hearing your opinion - I really find reading reviews from Thomson regulars with experience of other lines particularly interesting. It is the comparisons which create food for thought.

Anyway hope you have a really good one!

Linda I think we all have concerns when going on a new ship but my honest opinion is that you know Thomson as well as we do and you know its a newer ship, you will probably know and be recognised by some of the staff so just go with an open mind and I hope you both have a fantastic time, friends of ours have just returned and had a great time but everyone has different expectations, we will be on her next year and are in Celebration next week. Good luck.

Must admit being a bit envious we just love the Caribbean but are giving it a miss next year, the return flight is getting a bit much for Mrs PC, fingers crossed that she will miss it so much that we will be back in 2018 but we have fantastic memories from the past seven years, just something one has to accept but still love cruising anywhere😁😁

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...