Is this common on Oceania?

Christine Frances

That's never happened to me either, but perhaps for those of us who are cruised on O before we aren't eligible for the "Welcome to Oceania" phone call!

Not sure I'd like it if it did happen, though ...

Mura

I was on the website over the weekend and just received a "cold call" from an Oceania Vacation Planner:confused: What's with that? I'm not quite sure how I feel about being "tracked". He did verify that was how he got my info.

How did they get your phone number?

I had to set up a profile (did that a couple of years ago) to get into the information on an itinerary. You just can't in without it. My phone number is there. I still don't know why I have to give Oceania my address, phone and email just to look at specific sailings.

My thought exactly. Do you have an account with Oceania? I'm always curious about what cabins are available on cruises I'm interested in AND cruises I've booked. I log in and pretend to do a booking and then stop before I get to the actual sign up part. With all that, I've never gotten a call and surely they could find me based on my log in.

I had to set up a profile (did that a couple of years ago) to get into the information on an itinerary. You just can't in without it. My phone number is there. I still don't know why I have to give Oceania my address, phone and email just to look at specific sailings.

Were you on the official Oceania site (http://www.oceaniacruises.com/) or on a travel agency site such as Oceania CruiseLine or http://oceania.cruiselines.com/ ?

I never have to log in on the official site to see itineraries and prices.

Were you on the official Oceania site (http://www.oceaniacruises.com/) or on a travel agency site such as Oceania CruiseLine or http://oceania.cruiselines.com/ ?

I never have to log in on the official site to see itineraries and prices.

Here is a link to the page where you have to stop and log in to go further

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/bookcruise/rva131018/default.aspx

hope that works!

You don't have to... perhaps, you hit the "Request a Quote" button?

Only then would it present a form for personal info.

The site is wide open, and all cruises, fares, etc. are easily searched and retrieved without a login.

In fact, this interactive Matrix lets you explore with filters:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/default.aspx

I would expect them to give a follow-up call if you indeed did complete an interest form... that's how it is supposed to work. :p

Here is a link to the page where you have to stop and log in to go further

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/bookcruise/rva131018/default.aspx

hope that works!

So were you trying to see what cabins were still available ??

If you just click on

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/westernmediterranean/rva131018/default.aspx

You can view the itinerary/prices without signing in

Edited by LHT28

I deal with this all day in my business. Once you "Opt-in" by giving them information you are free reign for them to contact you. That's true for any business.

With technology, once you opt-in they can track you thru "cookies" on your web browser. Then they will know if you have been on their site or not. They also can buy your financial data from credit bureaus, credit cards (AMEX, Visa) and know if you can afford a cruise or not. They will call the strongest potential targets. For others they may only send emails or a catalog. They can also purchase the GPS data on your cell phone and track where you physically are at any time. I know - scary.

I deal with this all day in my business. Once you "Opt-in" by giving them information you are free reign for them to contact you. That's true for any business.

With technology, once you opt-in they can track you thru "cookies" on your web browser. Then they will know if you have been on their site or not. They also can buy your financial data from credit bureaus, credit cards (AMEX, Visa) and know if you can afford a cruise or not. They will call the strongest potential targets. For others they may only send emails or a catalog. They can also purchase the GPS data on your cell phone and track where you physically are at any time. I know - scary.

I guess that's why I get lots and lots of brochures from Oceania and I have never signed up for any. I think it's sorta creepy.

Whatever you think of them, the brochures must be working because you've been perusing Oceania Itineraries and checking out prices....:rolleyes:

Marina-0345.JPG

Hope to see you onboard soon!

So true. I had NO intention of booking Oceania despite the onslaught of brochures. And then an itinerary caught my eye..............Booked!

I check out every cruise that does the itinerary that I am interested in. No one else has tracked me down and phoned. I usually sail X & Azamara so I am always look out for something of the same quality. If I knew how I ended up getting the brochures I would go to the website and stop them. I am visually impaired, I can't read them, and I never ordered them.

I check out every cruise that does the itinerary that I am interested in. No one else has tracked me down and phoned. I usually sail X & Azamara so I am always look out for something of the same quality. If I knew how I ended up getting the brochures I would go to the website and stop them. I am visually impaired, I can't read them, and I never ordered them.

Do you receive the emails from Oceania for upcoming cruises??

Possibly you signed up on the website for information or to check cruises like you mentioned earlier

You could call and ask to be taken off the mailing list

I would not think they would get your address from you just looking at the website

Lyn

I also received a phone call from a Personal Vacation Consultant from Oceania a few days ago who left a message on my voice mail. Today I received a card in the mail requesting that I call her with any questions about booking a cruise. I also was researching a cruise with and without airfare but I did check the box to save to my plan. I was surprised that this was monitored so closely. But I did book a cruise through my travel agent. Now can't wait!

Do you receive the emails from Oceania for upcoming cruises??

Possibly you signed up on the website for information or to check cruises like you mentioned earlier

You could call and ask to be taken off the mailing list

I would not think they would get your address from you just looking at the website

Lyn

No Lyn I don't receive emails - just lots of brochures. Today I received "European Collection 2014". Thank you for the suggestion to call I will try that.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app