Cost of chairs on Junkanoo Beach vs Day Pass at Melia

jled

Hi.. I'm going to be in Nassau on the Breakaway in two weeks.. and I've been to Nassau many times..I'm looking for a cheap beach day....just a place to relax for the day.. Its just my husband and I.. no small kids.. and I was planning on Junkanoo Beach..but am wondering what they charge for renting chairs.. and does it make more sense for me to buy day passes to Melia??? They are $ 30.. is that the same price for just walking up day off??? Thanks in advance....We are in port for a full day...

Hi.. I'm going to be in Nassau on the Breakaway in two weeks.. and I've been to Nassau many times..I'm looking for a cheap beach day....just a place to relax for the day.. Its just my husband and I.. no small kids.. and I was planning on Junkanoo Beach..but am wondering what they charge for renting chairs.. and does it make more sense for me to buy day passes to Melia??? They are $ 30.. is that the same price for just walking up day off??? Thanks in advance....We are in port for a full day...

The chairs that i was offered at Junkanoo beach where expensive. I had to haggle to get them down to under 20.00 :eek:. We now just take and extra towel and don't bother with chairs. Not sure how long you are in port, if its a full day the day pass is better option. We do Junkanoo if its a shortened port day.

At Junkanoo they were asking 10.00 ea for loungers and I offered 5.00, settled at 7.00. :D

I would do Melia, much nicer facility, pool and beautiful beach. Junkanoo is a just okay beach if you have limited time in port.

We were at the Melia last year and several times before (when it was a

Sheraton.) The pools are big and nice and the beach is a good stretch of Cable Beach. We enjoyed it.

There are several reviews on this forum. The Melia website has good photos.

We were at the Melia last year and several times before (when it was a

Sheraton.) The pools are big and nice and the beach is a good stretch of Cable Beach. We enjoyed it.

There are several reviews on this forum. The Melia website has good photos.

I am definitely leaning towards the Melia..we were in Cayman Island off a cruise two months ago, and went to the public beach and rented chairs and I kept thinking how much nicer it was to have a resort day pass...We had rented scooters and had much less time We are in Nassau off the NCL Breakaway for the entire day..arrive early morning...So I think Melia is a better option...I don't drink a lot during the day, so the all inclusives aren't worth it for me. Can I just take the bus right to the Melia and not buy the pass in advance...I would rather do that incase of crappy weather.. thanks so much for the advice

I think for Melia, you would also need to pay for a taxi? (Or maybe the bus which is much cheaper).

We are thinking of Junkanoo beach but that's only becuase our ship leaves at 2pm, so a very short stay. If we had longer and we wanted a day pass, then we'd select Melia between those two. Their website makes it look quite nice.

Edited by LuCruise

last weekend at Junkanoo the chair and umbrella were $20 and included a 2 free frozen drinks, and 4 beers and 4 shots for $10. People were friendly felt very safe. Great time. Easy walking distance from ship.

$20 per chair? Or $20 for two?

We just got back. We took the #10 Jitney bus to Grand Melia $1.25 each way.

Easy to jump on and off. I liked the Grand Melia but I don't think it's worth the $35 pp. You get a chair and you can use their snorkel equipment, pools and restrooms.

Downer: Husband bought a whiskey and coke at the bar - $22!!!!!

That was the first and last. We thought that was ridiculous and it quite irritated us.

I'll not be going there again.

We did snorkel but there was very little to see there. A few fish. If you want to use their other items: water trykes, paddleboards, kayaks - that's all extra charge.

I'm leaving this Sunday..will be there on Tuesday. I am totally used to a public beach..I live in Long Beach, NY..and beach is at the end of my block..but unfortunately it is going to snow here today!!! I was originally planning on going to the Melia, but $ 70 not including kayaks and other non motorized is a lot..Maybe switching to Junkanoo..$ 20 for two chairs with drinks sounds like a great deal!

I'm leaving this Sunday..will be there on Tuesday. I am totally used to a public beach..I live in Long Beach, NY..and beach is at the end of my block..but unfortunately it is going to snow here today!!! I was originally planning on going to the Melia, but $ 70 not including kayaks and other non motorized is a lot..Maybe switching to Junkanoo..$ 20 for two chairs with drinks sounds like a great deal!

That's exciting...you leave very soon! Have a great trip. Please report back and let usu know how Junanoo beach is.

Thanks for all the info everyone. We will be there in early November and most likely will just hit Junkanoo. It just sounds easier. We want a restful day on the beach, not riding all over the place. Happy Sailing.

Have been debating between Junkanoo, Melia and British Colonial, but think we'll do the same and stick to Junkanoo

• 1 year later...

Can someone tell me how to get to Junkanoo from the cruise port? I've thought about an AI but they all want your credit card and that ain't happenin...I use cash only in port. Does Junkanoo take cash?

I'm celebrating my birthday in Freeport so not sure what to really do there or in Nassau..I usually go to the Pirates Island Brewery in Nassau.

Junkanoo beach is a 10 or 15 minute walk from the dock. Take Bay St. toward the large British Colonial Hotel and continue past it. When you see the Fat Tuesday restaurant, it is just past it. A good beach with low drink prices.

Pirate Republic Brewing Co.

Woodes Rogers Walk, Nassau This is the brewery on the way to the British Colonial that I like to frequent. I'm not sure if it's the one you refer to or not.