Stingray City Tour - do you have to swim?

Mynki

We are visiting Grand Cayman as part of our cruise and I wanted to visit Stingray City but my OH doesn't swim, so I wanted to know how deep the water is where the boats stop. Also do you have to swim to where the stingray area as OH only would feel comfortable to have water about waist high and be able to touch the bottom at all times.

thanks

We did this last week and the water is only waist deep depending on how tall you are. Our guides were on their knees part of the time. The boat we were on had inflatable life jackets for people that weren't comfortable in the water.

When I went the water was chest high for me. Shorter people were having some trouble. We were told it varies and when were there we were not lucky! There were also swells coming through so it was not smooth so that made if more difficult. The staff were excellent in helping the people who could not swim.

We are visiting Grand Cayman as part of our cruise and I wanted to visit Stingray City but my OH doesn't swim, so I wanted to know how deep the water is where the boats stop. Also do you have to swim to where the stingray area as OH only would feel comfortable to have water about waist high and be able to touch the bottom at all times.

thanks

It does vary a lot. I've been there when it was knee-deep and I've been there whe it was chest deep. It will also depend on where your boat anchors. Sometimes boats will anchor a little way out and you have to swim to the sandbar. Most reputable tour companies will have life jackets for those who cannot swim.

On a perfect day, the water at the sandbar is about waist deep.

I have been there twice and I'm 5'6" and felt comfortable with the depth of the water. It's never been too high up (past the armpits), but like others said, it depends on the weather and time of year (probably) and also where they anchor the boat.

You do wear a lifejacket, so even if it's just a little uncomfortable in depth for you, it still should be fine. The stingrays are an amazing experience and definitely not one to miss.

If you got there and really didn't feel comfortable with it, you can always sit on the edge of the boat and have the guides bring the rays up to you (well at least ours would).

We used Nativeway and had a wonderful time and would highly recommend them. I have a complete review listed in my signature line with tons of pictures if you are interested. :)

• 1 month later...

I have a daughter that was freaked out by the stingrays and couldn't get in the water. It was no big deal at all to anyone on the boat. I think it must happen all the time.

The stingrays are sort of like cuddly puppy dogs. It's the only way I can describe them. They would come out of the water and right up your back, big and cuddly!! I know sounds freakish. My daughter saw that and was not going to get in the water no matter what! There was no pressure.

We were there last week and went on a ship excursion (NCL) but before leaving the ship we were warned that it was windy with higher waves than normal at the sandbar and the ship offered us a refund if we did not want to go. We went anyway. The tender ride to shore was not at all rough and the boat ride to the sandbar was not too bad. At the sandbar the water depth without waves would probably be up to my armpits (I'm 5ft 1in). They do assist you from the boat to the sandbar. The waves were way over my head and I could do nothing but jump every time a wave came. One wave was several feet higher than me and broke right over me. I did not get to experience the stingrays at all as I was more concerned about the waves. It was not a pleasant experience but would not stop me trying again as I understand it is more often very calm. My daughter and 13 yo grandson enjoyed it more and they stayed on the sandbar as long as they were allowed. The boat crew were awesome and did a great job assisting everyone.

We were there last week and went on a ship excursion (NCL) but before leaving the ship we were warned that it was windy with higher waves than normal at the sandbar and the ship offered us a refund if we did not want to go. We went anyway. The tender ride to shore was not at all rough and the boat ride to the sandbar was not too bad. At the sandbar the water depth without waves would probably be up to my armpits (I'm 5ft 1in). They do assist you from the boat to the sandbar. The waves were way over my head and I could do nothing but jump every time a wave came. One wave was several feet higher than me and broke right over me. I did not get to experience the stingrays at all as I was more concerned about the waves. It was not a pleasant experience but would not stop me trying again as I understand it is more often very calm. My daughter and 13 yo grandson enjoyed it more and they stayed on the sandbar as long as they were allowed. The boat crew were awesome and did a great job assisting everyone.

By any chance did you happen to catch the name of the people that sponsored the tour or the name of the boat that took you out?

Everything depends of where the catamaran docks in Stingray City to how deep the water will be . There are always vests for those who want them.

It's actually easy to see the stingrays without getting into the water with them ... clear water and the crew will lift them up to be viewed, petted, and pictured. :)

LuLu

Everything depends of where the catamaran docks in Stingray City to how deep the water will be . There are always vests for those who want them.

It's actually easy to see the stingrays without getting into the water with them ... clear water and the crew will lift them up to be viewed, petted, and pictured. :)

LuLu

Wish I had thought to ask them to do this at the boat steps :o Although I can swim I am not a strong swimmer and never swam in the ocean before. I look at the pictures now and wonder how the heck I coped with the huge waves!! Besides that, I look like a drowned rat in every picture and I think I can actually see the fear in my face! :p Oh well....I guess I need to book another cruise that stops in GC ;) :D

• 3 weeks later...

You do not need to be able to swim to enjoy Stingray City as the water is shallow and will reach you right below the chest for someone of average height. It also depends on where and how close the boat docks to the sandbar. We booked through Stingray City United and our boat docked close to the sandbar and the had a ladder on the boat that goes down in the water so you can comfortably step down the stairs and into the shallow water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swimming is not a requirement for you to go to Stingray City and have a great time as the boats will dock really close to the sand bar so you can just climb down the ladder and the water will reach you at either your waist or below the chest if you are a little short.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk