To Bruges From Zeebrugge Port?

Hi Tom.

The kusttram runs past the port gate & goes past Blankenberge station, where you catch a train to Bruges. Tram will be pennies, though I think you have to buy tickets at a nearby shop before you board, no tickets sold on the tram. The train costs about 7 euros day-return.

But there are a couple of hoops to go through......

Mixed reports whether you can walk out of the gate.

And the train from Blankenberge is hourly, so Murphy's Law says you'll have a 59 minute wait at the station.

Most ships provide a payable shuttle for the 3 miles to Blankenberge station. Probably over-priced, but it'll be only a few dollars.

If you find you've just missed a train you can ask a price from taxi drivers at the station. And there's bound to be others at the station willing to share.

Or share a taxi from the port. The fare is (was a couple of years ago) 50 euros one-way. That's steep but some taxis hold about 7 passengers, so not too bad if you share.

Or pre-book a taxi, about the same cost. Google for operators, or mebbe someone can come up with a recommendation.

Or check your RollCall for offers / sharers.

If you take a taxi, get the driver to drop you at the Grotemarkt, right in the centre. And agree a time to be collected for the return to the ship.

Bruges train station is on the edge of the city centre, an easy & level 15 minute walk.

Ships' coach transfers drop by the coach park at Minnewater (they're not allowed into the centre). From there it's an easy & level 15-20 minute walk over the "little red bridge" to the centre - but do watch the landmarks as you go - get it wrong on the way back & you might have to swim across Minnewater :D

Or there's a little local one-euro shuttlebus from the coach drop-off to the centre.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Signage tends to be Flemish, but often followed by French. Hence Brugge (Bruges) and Oostende (Ostende). But the French gave up on "Zeebrugge".

String together about six consecutive vowels, put in a few double A's and K's and G's, and some J's where they don't make sense, and hey - you're speaking Flemish :D

Not so sure about English signage on transportation, but you can figure the main words like treinstation and as per the Londoner's post most folk speak English especially younger folk and those who work on transportation or in shops, etc.

No worries :cool:

Edited by John Bull

John Bull

It never fails to amaze me that you only have to cross the border from France into a nice little town in Belgium like Veurne and all of a sudden everybody speaks English, so no need to struggle trying to order in a restaurant in my awful French.

You have to go out of the docks by Bus no one is allowed to walk in the dock area. And all Buses should be free what ever the cruise Line. Yes the trains run once an hour to Brugge machine at station for ticket.

John Bull

It never fails to amaze me that you only have to cross the border from France into a nice little town in Belgium like Veurne and all of a sudden everybody speaks English, so no need to struggle trying to order in a restaurant in my awful French.

Just don't get into an argument with them about who invented chips / french fries / frietjes ;)

Yes, it was the Belgians.

But then they screwed-up by smothering them in mayo instead of salt 'n' vinegar :D

Edited by John Bull

John Bull

I don't like vinegar on my chips, so don't mind the mayonnaise. BTW the waffles are nice too!

No, frites with mayo every time!

Your names have been forwarded to UKIP, so expect retribution or re-education. :p :D

We found it alot quicker to hire a "taxi" (usually a van) to drive you into Bruges. Picked us up right at the cruise terminal gate, took just 30 min. to get there and cost 100 euros for a round trip. The vans hold 8 people so it only cost 12.5 euros (about $13.91 USD) for the round trip plus having much more time in this wonderful city. :)

We found it alot quicker to hire a "taxi" (usually a van) to drive you into Bruges. Picked us up right at the cruise terminal gate, took just 30 min. to get there and cost 100 euros for a round trip. The vans hold 8 people so it only cost 12.5 euros (about $13.91 USD) for the round trip plus having much more time in this wonderful city. :)

Go-Bucks, can you please give me the name of the taxi company, did you book it online in advance or pick it up on arrival? We'll be in Zeebrugge next year and I've been following this thread. OP, my apologies for hijacking your thread.

LondonTowner, Belgian waffles are the best, to die for! And I like my frites a la francaise, avec de la moutarde:D

Hi Go-Bucks!, Gkkapp here (aka Karen)-

prish- I booked the taxi Go-Bucks! is talking about for our 2013 stop in Brugge. It is Rony's taxi at rony@ronystaxis.com Worked out well for us. Book early as he fills up fast. We are using him again in June. Booked early and others on our roll call tried to book him recently. He is completely booked up for our date :eek:.

<<<Karen>>>

Hi Go-Bucks!, Gkkapp here (aka Karen)-

prish- I booked the taxi Go-Bucks! is talking about for our 2013 stop in Brugge. It is Rony's taxi at rony@ronystaxis.com Worked out well for us. Book early as he fills up fast. We are using him again in June. Booked early and others on our roll call tried to book him recently. He is completely booked up for our date :eek:.

<<<Karen>>>

Thanks a ton for the info pkkap, appreciate it. Our cruise if for June 2017, how far ahead should I book, by August/September? Maybe I'll just send them an email and ask. Thanks again:)

I booked the taxi in January, I believe, for our June day in Brugge this year. Now may be too early for next year.

<<<Karen>>>

Thought as much Karen, will email them in the summer and see if they take a booking. Thanks again, Prish

Parish, what cruise are you on. We may be doing the eclipse June 4, 2017....

Hey marconi, we're on the same sailing, a family group of seven for my brother's big birthday. Is there a RC going, haven't looked yet, too been busy at work, also planning our Equinox May 9 Western Med:)