Announcement Tuesday re: future of QE2

david,Mississauga

Thank you for the update as somebody in another thread claimed that she was not going to be moving anytime soon. Sometimes these conflicting reports make it impossible to know which one to believe. The link above however speculates that perhaps she might return as an active ship. SOLAS 2010 makes that impossible. She would require a massive refit to remove interior wood and blind alleyways. (And had Cunard or anyone else done so there would be much weeping and wailing that her charm and personality had been destroyed.)

Thank you for the update as somebody in another thread claimed that she was not going to be moving anytime soon. Sometimes these conflicting reports make it impossible to know which one to believe. The link above however speculates that perhaps she might return as an active ship. SOLAS 2010 makes that impossible. She would require a massive refit to remove interior wood and blind alleyways. (And had Cunard or anyone else done so there would be much weeping and wailing that her charm and personality had been destroyed.)

BR, I agree with you in most things but, IMHO, SOLAS does not make a return to service impossible, just very expensive. Just as with most knotty problems, there are many different ways to skin a cat.:eek::D When dealing with SOLAS or the various classification societies, it is never easy but there is usually a way if the will and the resources are applied. Lots of approved "wood" substitutes out there and the rest is lots of expensive cutting and welding to class standards. I agree, we will probably never see her return as a viable passenger ship but as far as "charm and personality", she is already the most modified passenger ship I have sailed. The difference from 1969 QE2 to 2008 QE2 are staggering. We shall see.:D

I am sure that SOLAS or no SOLAS, in the sales contract Cunard/Carnival Corp. has it written into the sales contract that the QE2 can not carry any fare paying passengers for either a crossing or cruise. Isn't true that if the current owners of the QE2 advertised for potential fare paying passengers for a crossing or cruise then Cunard/Carnival Corp. has the right to sue to stop it from happening? Regards,Jerry

I am sure that in the sales contract Cunard/Carnival Corp. has it written into the sales contract that the QE2 can not carry any fare paying passengers for either a crossing or cruise. Isn't true that if the current owners of the QE2 advertised for potential fare paying passengers for a crossing or cruise then Cunard/Carnival Corp. would sue to stop it from happening? Regards,Jerry

I know that was in the original sale but are all subsequent purchasers held to a clause they did not enter into? I don't know, just speculating. Not sure if there is such a thing as a "deed restriction" for old ships.:eek::D

I know that was in the original sale but are all subsequent purchasers held to a clause they did not enter into? I don't know, just speculating. Not sure if there is such a thing as a "deed restriction" for old ships.:eek::D
I'm no lawyer... but I was told, by an ex-QE2 officer on board QM2 in 2008, that there is indeed a "no passengers" clause in the contract, binding on every future owner. This is to stop one part of a corporation "selling" her to another part of the same company, and then returning her to service (after interior rebuilding to meet current SOLAS regulations). Of course, they could buy their way out of that clause, if they so wished, and Carnival agreed*.

There must also, I would have thought (as well as a "no passengers" rule), be a clause to stop someone selling long-term residences on board her (so people are no longer "passengers" but joint "owners"). If they convert her to a 450 room "hotel" and sell the rooms/suites off on long leases, well I can hardly see them telling people they have to get off QE2 and fly to the next port of call where they can board the ship again. They'd stay on board as she sailed around the far east. Passengers in all but name.

However what would happen if the "owners" invited family/friends to join them in their suite for a trip? Wouldn't they be classed as passengers? Or if they sub-let the suite?

But I'm certain the Cunard legal team thought of this long before I did.

(*But would Cunard/Carnival allow the most famous ship in the world, still carrying her original name and hull & funnel colours (yes, I know the "original" funnel was white), be returned to service in any capacity (other than as a static hotel)?)

Best wishes :) .

Interesting points Pepper. I am no lawyer either, but I do play one while drinking Martinis:eek: and I wonder if all the different jurisdictions and countries rules might provide some slick lawyer with a nice paycheck for finding a way. For my money, if I had $100 Million to spend, I think I could find an easier way to make a profit than dealing in old ships. I love QE2 but some of her hull plates have to be nearing 50 years old.:eek: Having worked on old ships I can attest they are serious money pits.

..I love QE2 but some of her hull plates have to be nearing 50 years old.:eek: Having worked on old ships I can attest they are serious money pits.

Which is what happened to her. Stephen Payne has a talk on QE2 (don't have the link right now) where he said her hull is "nearly new" as it was overbuilt. The huge money pit (not his words) was maintenance of her aluminum superstructure which suffers fatigue. Even without SOLAS 2010 her plumbing and air conditioning were constant problems and Cunard became increasingly worried of a PR disaster should a serious problem occur on a voyage.

Which is what happened to her. Stephen Payne has a talk on QE2 (don't have the link right now) where he said her hull is "nearly new" as it was overbuilt. The huge money pit (not his words) was maintenance of her aluminum superstructure which suffers fatigue. Even without SOLAS 2010 her plumbing and air conditioning were constant problems and Cunard became increasingly worried of a PR disaster should a serious problem occur on a voyage.

Agree 100%. Aluminum structures definitely have a "shelf life".:eek: The internal piping, etc. has runs that are inaccessible short of cutting plates. With a keel laid in 1965, it is probably time to stop my dreaming of her returning to sea.

Just been announced today

The QE2 is scheduled to depart from Dubai on October 18 with a gala sail-off party

marking the event.

http://www.qe2hotels.com/new/www/html1/pressrelease.php

http://www.qe2hotels.com/new/www/html1/article/QE2_HE_Khamis_Juma_Buamim_speech_English.pdf

The Dubai-based owner of the iconic QE2 cruise liner has announced the appointment of COSCO Shipyard Group to refurbish the ship into a luxury floating hotel.

QE2 Holdings said in a statement that the cruise ship, which has hosted kings, queens, presidents, prime ministers and celebrities throughout its legendary 40-year history, will depart from Dubai and arrive in COSCO Shipyard’s facility in Zhoushan, Zhejiang Province.

Once there, it will receive a makeover that is scheduled for completion by 2015.

The existing 990 staterooms will be converted into 400 premium suites ranging from 60 to 150 square metres.

The statement said COSCO Shipyard will be responsible for all the technical repairs and coordinate with an appointed interior renovation contractor to revamp the accommodation and ballroom, as well as the refitting of seven restaurants, 10 lounges, a cinema, a maritime museum displaying QE2 memorabilia, and a shopping mall.

Khamis Juma Buamim, chairman of QE2 Holdings and Dubai’s Drydocks World, said: “No other ship can match the QE2’s prestige, or her legacy. She is an absolute icon of maritime history, one of the best and most powerful ships in the world. Therefore, our decision on a partner was critical.

“We are pleased to be working closely with COSCO Shipyard for the technical repair and refurbishment process, which will be carried out with the utmost respect to the QE2’s heritage and splendour. China COSCO’s expertise in cruise ship conversion will complement our extensive experience in comprehensive ship repair work and upgrades.”

Yan Chengxiang, vice president of COSCO Shipyard, added: “QE2 Holdings’ decision to carry out this work with us is a reflection of COSCO Shipyard and COSCO Group’s leading position in China’s shipbuilding industry, and it also should also generate optimism for a sector that is rapidly transforming.”

QE2 Holdings also announced that it has invited seven international interior architecture houses to compete for the interior design contract.

Daniel Chui, president and chief executive of QE2 Holdings and managing director of Oceanic Group, said: “The ship’s redevelopment is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for any interior design professional to create what will become one of Asia’s major waterfront tourist attractions.

"The goal for the final design is to preserve the soul of the QE2 — many of the original furnishings and much of the décor will be incorporated — while creating a modern luxury hotel.”

Originally set to be refurbished as the central attraction in a maritime-themed development on Palm Jumeirah, this plan was scrapped in the wake of the financial crisis and the downturn in the Dubai property market.

from

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/chinese-firm-hired-convert-dubai-s-qe2-into-luxury-hotel-523237.html

The link to the review and summary of Payne's 2008 QE2 talk in Glasgow can be found here. I don't have a link to any more recent presentations. According to the review there was nothing there that QE2 fans didn't already know but more came across in the question and answer session which followed.

If his remarks sound like he's towing the company line...the company was signing his paycheck at the time.

The Dubai-based owner of the iconic QE2 cruise liner has announced the appointment of COSCO Shipyard Group to refurbish the ship into a luxury floating hotel.

QE2 Holdings said in a statement that the cruise ship, which has hosted kings, queens, presidents, prime ministers and celebrities throughout its legendary 40-year history, will depart from Dubai and arrive in COSCO Shipyard’s facility in Zhoushan, Zhejiang Province.

Once there, it will receive a makeover that is scheduled for completion by 2015.

The existing 990 staterooms will be converted into 400 premium suites ranging from 60 to 150 square metres.

The statement said COSCO Shipyard will be responsible for all the technical repairs and coordinate with an appointed interior renovation contractor to revamp the accommodation and ballroom, as well as the refitting of seven restaurants, 10 lounges, a cinema, a maritime museum displaying QE2 memorabilia, and a shopping mall.

Khamis Juma Buamim, chairman of QE2 Holdings and Dubai’s Drydocks World, said: “No other ship can match the QE2’s prestige, or her legacy. She is an absolute icon of maritime history, one of the best and most powerful ships in the world. Therefore, our decision on a partner was critical.

“We are pleased to be working closely with COSCO Shipyard for the technical repair and refurbishment process, which will be carried out with the utmost respect to the QE2’s heritage and splendour. China COSCO’s expertise in cruise ship conversion will complement our extensive experience in comprehensive ship repair work and upgrades.”

Yan Chengxiang, vice president of COSCO Shipyard, added: “QE2 Holdings’ decision to carry out this work with us is a reflection of COSCO Shipyard and COSCO Group’s leading position in China’s shipbuilding industry, and it also should also generate optimism for a sector that is rapidly transforming.”

QE2 Holdings also announced that it has invited seven international interior architecture houses to compete for the interior design contract.

Daniel Chui, president and chief executive of QE2 Holdings and managing director of Oceanic Group, said: “The ship’s redevelopment is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for any interior design professional to create what will become one of Asia’s major waterfront tourist attractions.

"The goal for the final design is to preserve the soul of the QE2 — many of the original furnishings and much of the décor will be incorporated — while creating a modern luxury hotel.”

Originally set to be refurbished as the central attraction in a maritime-themed development on Palm Jumeirah, this plan was scrapped in the wake of the financial crisis and the downturn in the Dubai property market.

from

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/chinese-firm-hired-convert-dubai-s-qe2-into-luxury-hotel-523237.html

Here is the website for COSCO (Zhou Shan) Shipyard http://www.cosco-shipyard.com/englishnew/page.asp?classid=21

COSCO Projects:

"A series of successfully completed projects further consolidated and expanded the COSCO Shipyard¡¯s ¡°Core Customers¡±, extensively famed its brand of ship repair, and helped it get out of the low-end market of ship repair to stride forward to the high-end market characterized by big amount of works, high added value and high technology.

---tankers (including VLCC)

---chemical tankers

---LNG and LPG

---Bulk carriers

---container vessels

---Conversion from single hull to double hull tanker

---Conversion from OBO to Bitumen carrier or self-unloading vessel

---Conversion from oil tanker to submersible barge

---Conversion from tanker to container crane carrier

---Conversion from tanker to heavy lift vessel

END QUOTE http://www.cosco-shipyard.com/englishnew/page.asp?classid=10

Let us hope that what ever her fate is, it is not like that of the SS United States.

Mike

Mike, would it be better if the SS United States was to be "repaired and refurnished" by a shipping company owned by the Peoples Republic of China, which appears to be the fate of the Queen Elizabeth 2? -S.

SS United States cannot be sold to a foreign entity as she was built with a US Department of Defense subsidy. She was convertible to a troop ship within 48 hours and also had an operating subsidy. (As one can determine from my screen name and atavar I have more than a passing interest in the SSUS.)

SS United States cannot be sold to a foreign entity as she was built with a US Department of Defense subsidy. She was convertible to a troop ship within 48 hours and also had an operating subsidy. (As one can determine from my screen name and atavar I have more than a passing interest in the SSUS.)
Greetings from the QM2, Not to change the subject but I am enjoying this New England/Canada cruise aboard the QM2. Back to the subject of the SS United States, there were the plans for her to be homeported in either New York,Philadelphia or Miami. Has there been any recent announcements concerning the SS United States? Regarrds,Jerry

The possible designs for how she will look can be found here

http://www.qe2hotels.com/new/www/html1/design.php

Oh my. This is a joke, right? Much of this simply cannot be taken seriously, yet these are the finalists, as chosen by those in control of QE2?

So much for

The goal for the final design is to preserve the soul of the QE2 — many of the original furnishings and much of the décor will be incorporated —

Most of proposed "renovations" are thoroughly in contradiction of this promise. Much of it would be fine, elsewhere, as long as it didn't involve QE2

Please, get her to a beach ASAP. What we see here would be a tragedy.

I hate being a pessimist but my thoughts are that a ship moored for several years in a salt water environment, with this water sitting idly in hundreds of pipes throughout the ship is not good. Not good with that ship being 'dead' for the last several months. Water being stationary and no doubt mixed with air in those pipes will add to the effects of mother nature.

I have no idea how thick the steel is on her hull but the latest HMS Ark Royal that has just been scrapped was a darn sight newer than the QE2 and during her last commission she had to quickly nip into dry dock to have repairs to her hull. Repairs to remove the quick drying cement which had been used to repair holes in the hull :) caused purely by rust.

I wonder how much corrossion is being hidden by paint as the QE2 is now shining like the proverbial new pin? I am not saying this in a critical, or accusing manner. Paint is applied to keep the ship looking smart and not usually to conceal damage or corrossion, but this can be the end result and rough weather will quickly sort out any weak spots.

Hopefully this company will get this ship to China where it will under go this transformation and all will end happily for all those concerned.

Archived