1st timers - booking transfers independently

MrsMiggins

Hi everyone

I am looking to book our first cruise (RCI Caribbean Freedom or Oasis class Easter 2014) and flights from the UK are VERY busy.

I do think I can find a much better deal by booking the flights and cruise separately and I've read the article on here about the pros and cons. The article didn't really deal with transfers though. Can anyone advise just how easy it is to book transfers independently? We don't necessarily need the cheapest option, but something fairly low-hassle and most importantly reliable.

I will be travelling with my 15 & 17 year old sons, so we have no issues with carrying bags (thanks guys!) and we are seasoned travellers who have often booked holidays independently (ie no agent involved) in the past. We can also add a day or two to before and after the cruise.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Taxis are the way to go from most airports to port....if you are flying into Fort Laud. to Port Everglades...take a cab.

If you are flying to MIA /Port of Miam....take a cab.

If you are flying into either of those but going, say from MIA to Port Everglades, then SAS transportation is what you want.

Give us your airport and port!

Same with your trip from the ship to the airport...cabs will be lined up waiting for you!

Edited by cb at sea

@ MrsMiggins

We flew last month into MIA -- not a city/airport we are used to; I think we changed planes there once in the last 20 years -- it was easy peasy, just follow signs to ground transport and look for the arrow-sign for Taxi. If you try to get into the first taxi you see (like we did), driver will send you to the front of the line; they play fair like that.

The cabbies are very familiar with the port and will drop you at the right place for your particular ship. I'm sure it's the same at FLL. I have also read on CCr of people having the taxi stop and wait for them while they bought wine for a cruise where taking it on was permitted. I didn't do that but you could also ask to stop at a convenience or department store for anything you may forget -- as long as you are willing to pay the driver for the waiting time of course!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There are lots of taxis (cabs) at the airports to get you to a hotel -- which I highly recommend. You ever know when flights can be delayed.

At the end of the cruise -- again taxis at the pier to take you to a hotel before flying home. Again I always recommend this not knowing what may cause the ship not to clear right away by the local authorities.

You might want to check the cost of taxis *between* MIA and Fort Lauderdale port before you commit to your airline/airport. When I accidentally looked at the reverse (FLL to Miami port), it was quite staggering, although it may not over-balance the different prices of air from UK. Just to be prepared!

The taxi fares are established and regulated and were easy to find on line, although I do not have the link handy.

I *think* we've narrowed it down to Allure of the Seas from Fort Lauderdale, flying into Miami...

This is a pretty healthy taxi fare....can you fly into Ft Lauderdale?....$15. cab fare from the airport to the ship.

Miami to Port Canaveral is up in the $80 range. (40 minute drive)

We don't know where in the UK the poster lives, do we? In any case, it's probably "easier" to get from someplace in the UK directly to MIA. I don't there there would be any flights from UK to FLL. Does it make sense to look into an alternate routing? UK to say JFK or ATL or some place on the east coast then to FLL just to have a short cab ride? Maybe. But I depends on their preferences.

In any case, there are certainly ways to go from MIA to Port Everglades. Countless cruisers from all over the place do that all the time.

I'm in the south of the UK, so London Heathrow is my 'home' airport.

There are direct flights to Miami but the prices are high so we were looking at doing one stop anyway. So that means flying to FL is also an option, although for some reason British Airways want us to go via Chicago - that doesn't seem very logical to me...

More web surfing tomorrow!

Thank you all again for your input.

We flew from Heathrow directly into Miami with BA.

This year (not sure by when), Norwegian airlines will start a direct route from London Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale. :)

We booked with JR shuttle which picked us up from Miami and dropped us to our hotel in Fort Lauderdale. I think it was 75 Dollars.

After our cruise, there are many taxis available outside the cruise terminal, so no problems there.

Andrea

We flew from Heathrow directly into Miami with BA.

This year (not sure by when), Norwegian airlines will start a direct route from London Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale. :)

We booked with JR shuttle which picked us up from Miami and dropped us to our hotel in Fort Lauderdale. I think it was 75 Dollars.

After our cruise, there are many taxis available outside the cruise terminal, so no problems there.

Andrea

Wow...thanks!!

I knew I had read something about that in the last couple of weeks.....but my aging brain could not recall the details. Here they are...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-12-02/business/fl-norwegian-air-press-conference-20131202_1_norwegian-com-us-norwegian-air-air-shuttle. GTW-FLL service starts July 4.

Wow...thanks!!

I knew I had read something about that in the last couple of weeks.....but my aging brain could not recall the details. Here they are...

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-12-02/business/fl-norwegian-air-press-conference-20131202_1_norwegian-com-us-norwegian-air-air-shuttle. GTW-FLL service starts July 4.

Fantastic! Thank you for the research.

Sadly 4th July is too late for me, but thank you for the info!

We're booked now, and I went for BA via their crazy routing as it was cheaper. Once you're in the air, I don't suppose it matters that much. The connection times seem sensible too.

Cruise booked separately on Allure, ocean view deck 3. I found positive reports about the cabin on here, so that's good!

No doubt I will pop up on other threads with loads more questions, but I've really valued your help here to get me started. Thank you all again.

We're booked now... No doubt I will pop up on other threads with loads more questions, but I've really valued your help here to get me started. Thank you all again.

Mrs M, congratulations on booking! I'm sure you will all have fun. Just for future, there is a separate Royal Caribbean board here. You can use the "Search this Forum" function once there, or just read the various threads for more information. Here you go:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83 <--click here