How long is too long for a solo cruiser in a studio?

Bra_BE2014

I need your advice!

I am looking to book my first NCL cruise to the Caribbean on 2015 as a solo cruiser (studio). As I live in Europe, I was thinking about a longer cruise of +10 days to make the long trip to the U.S. worthy. Is it risky business? Would it be too long for a studio cabin or should I go for it?

Thanks in advance for you help and advice :)

I need your advice!

I am looking to book my first NCL cruise to the Caribbean on 2015 as a solo cruiser (studio). As I live in Europe, I was thinking about a longer cruise of +10 days to make the long trip to the U.S. worthy. Is it risky business? Would it be too long for a studio cabin or should I go for it?

Do you tend to spend a lot of time in your cabin? If so, I would look at the activities which NCL makes available (quite a lot), and plan to stay as active as possible.

To be fair, some people love the studios allowing them to cruise at a fair price without the asinine garbage like double single supplement. But you can watch it. I just got off the Breakaway and in a slow period, the price of an interior guarantee was actually less than the studio. I wouldn't count on it but obviously it does happen.

Let me be as fair as possible. There are worse things in life and after all, the cabin is really only for sleeping and the bed was quite comfortable.

I need your advice!

If you are having to make that long flight across the pond, I say make it worth the trip! Go for the 10 days, or longer if possible, and tack on some days to explore the departure city if possible after the cruise. I hate rushing from the ship straight to the airport. With all the port days and activities available on the ship, the days will fly by.

To be fair, some people love the studios allowing them to cruise at a fair price without the asinine garbage like double single supplement. But you can watch it. I just got off the Breakaway and in a slow period, the price of an interior guarantee was actually less than the studio. I wouldn't count on it but obviously it does happen.

Let me be as fair as possible. There are worse things in life and after all, the cabin is really only for sleeping and the bed was quite comfortable.

I guess the first days will be fine and towards the end I might want a bit more time to myself. Is there a more quiet, peaceful area on the breakaway that you would recommend?

I guess the first days will be fine and towards the end I might want a bit more time to myself. Is there a more quiet, peaceful area on the breakaway that you would recommend?

The Waterfront areas are very quiet during the day. Nice couches and chairs. Spice H20 is adult only during the day.

Almost anywhere on Ocean Place (outside of deck 8) is peaceful normally. You can read/nap on the sofas outside.

Aldo on deck 8 there a many quiet lounging areas during the day.

At the end of 7 nights I was ready to get out of the studio, i only used it to shower, dress and sleep but it was claustrophobic for me - worked great to have my own space and not have to share with my mum or son but struggled with the lack of real light

At the end of 7 nights I was ready to get out of the studio, i only used it to shower, dress and sleep but it was claustrophobic for me - worked great to have my own space and not have to share with my mum or son but struggled with the lack of real light

That's my biggest fear right there! Did you regret it or was it worthy ion the end?

Almost anywhere on Ocean Place (outside of deck 8) is peaceful normally. You can read/nap on the sofas outside.

Aldo on deck 8 there a many quiet lounging areas during the day.

Thanks! If I manage to get over my fears, it will probably be the breakaway southern caribbean of 12 days. Scary but exciting!

I had the Studio on the Epic; I only stayed in it to sleep/shower.

I upgraded to a Balcony on the Breakaway (from a Studio).

The + was having more space to unpack clothes etc.. I did use the balcony a few minutes a day.

However, it is nice to have when the ship is at sea but on the other hand as mentioned you can always go to Spice H20 or the waterfront etc...

Priced the studios on many itineraries. Seems to be a rip-off, and a way to make money, rather than to provide a service to NCL solo customers. Many times it is beneficial to get a larger cabin as a solo. No thanks for the solo studio NCL.

I was booked into a Solo cabin for a December 2014 cruise. At the time, it was the least expensive (I booked really early - last November). In a recent Dash sale, the price of an inside guarantee was less expensive than my original booking, so I switched - mostly because of the price, not the size. Having said that, given the amount of time most cruisers are in the cabin, I don't think the solo would be too small for one person. As I mentioned in another thread, it's about the size many of the single hotel rooms I've stayed in in NY and Europe have been.

Did 2 weeks on Epic in Studio, really enjoyed the time in studio. If I wanted to get away from society, the cabin was the perfect get away. It was just as easy to join society by walking up a few flights of stairs to reach outside decks or down a couple of floors for some inside deck time

I booked a solo cabin for my 2012 Transatlantic and was fine. I spent a lot of time out of my stateroom and even when I spent time in the room I didn't feel confined or cramped. It depends on your personality and what you see yourself doing the most on the trip.

Did 2 weeks on Epic in Studio, really enjoyed the time in studio. If I wanted to get away from society, the cabin was the perfect get away. It was just as easy to join society by walking up a few flights of stairs to reach outside decks or down a couple of floors for some inside deck time

Exactly how I feel. The Studios are great in my option, and although I did upgraded to a balcony for the TA this past October, I think that I would have been just fine in a Studio for the trip.

Have a great time!

I have been in a studio multiple times on the Epic, 20, 20, and 22 days. With the Studio Lounge there is no reason to stay in your cabin.

Really? That's encouraging! Would you say that the studio lounge is quiet during the day or does it get loads of background noise?

Really? That's encouraging! Would you say that the studio lounge is quiet during the day or does it get loads of background noise?

Studio lounge had a couple of TVs but volume wasn't loud, there was traffic in and out but mostly a quiet place to read, talk or play board/card games.

I need your advice!

I think it will depend on what you like to do. For us, the cabin is a place to shower, sleep and maybe watch a movie to rest up for night activities on the ship. There are many places on the ship to relax with a book and many activities to participate in.

Don't wish you had taken the chance and didn't, go for it.

While I did not have the studio accommodation on the Epic, three members of my small group did. Each was pleasantly surprised as to the size of their cabin. As mentioned on previous posts, you really only stay in the cabin for the obvious. I think it is a great idea to offer this accommodation. More ships should.

Don't wish you had taken the chance and didn't, go for it.

I know! But it's so scary :D

Anyway, I'm gathering my courage and will probably book the Breakaway 12-day Southern Caribbean route from Nov/2015. I figured it's enough time to snap out of it and go, lol!

Edited by Bra_BE2014

I am already booked for the Breakaway 12 night Southern Caribbean cruise leaving November 29 in a studio. I have never been in one before-I get ocean view, balcony or suites, but the price was excellent, I don't have to fly and the ports are among my favorites. Curacao, Aruba, and Barbados are all great! I think I will be fine as the lounge is there, and there is plenty of space and things to do on the Breakaway. From what I understand, singles meet at a certain time every day and make dinner, entertainment and/or port decisions.