Slow Dining Service

rolloman

It seems like the chief complaint I keep hearing from those who have sailed MSC Divina is the slow dining service each night. Does anyone have any hints on how to speed up your dining experience? I am not a fan of sitting for 2 hours, but never miss the main dining room for dinner. I try to avoid the buffet on all ships as much as possible. Thanks!

It seems like the chief complaint I keep hearing from those who have sailed MSC Divina is the slow dining service each night. Does anyone have any hints on how to speed up your dining experience? I am not a fan of sitting for 2 hours, but never miss the main dining room for dinner. I try to avoid the buffet on all ships as much as possible. Thanks!

Request a table for 2 that way you don't have to wait for everyone to finish a course before they bring out the next one. If there is a slow eater than that causes a delay.

We are just off Armonia - 14 nights

We chose second sitting and had a table for 2. It did not help!!

Whether we went In on time or 10 minutes late we still had to wait the same time for our food. The waiters waited until the last of their tables arrived before putting in the orders. Last night and the night before we waited 45 minutes for starters after sitting down. That meant 21.30 for 1st course but then things follow too fast and you hardly get a rest between courses

We left before dessert as we knew it was the disgusting baked Alaska from the chefs March. If you're on 2 weeks you get to know the menu on Armonia

Caryl

It must be a cultural difference but I cannot see any reason to rush through a six course dinner, especially whilst on holiday (vacation).

Even a home dinner is a time to enjoy the food, wine and each others company for me and mine, talk over the day and what's ahead, not just a sit down, scoff and run.

In European and fine dining restaurants if you leave within an hour or two the maitre 'd or wait staff would ask if there was a problem with the meal or the restaurant.

My only comment (I would not presume to advise) would be it would be better to go with the flow and experience a european dining experience rather than just a meal.

Hopefully you will have some interesting dining companions who you can converse with and make the meal very pleasant.

It must be a cultural difference but I cannot see any reason to rush through a six course dinner, especially whilst on holiday (vacation).

Even a home dinner is a time to enjoy the food, wine and each others company for me and mine, talk over the day and what's ahead, not just a sit down, scoff and run.

In European and fine dining restaurants if you leave within an hour or two the maitre 'd or wait staff would ask if there was a problem with the meal or the restaurant.

My only comment (I would not presume to advise) would be it would be better to go with the flow and experience a european dining experience rather than just a meal.

Hopefully you will have some interesting dining companions who you can converse with and make the meal very pleasant.

Understood and thanks for your reply, However, our table will only be family, and sitting for two hours in the dining room actually hinders ones ability to partake in other nightly activities.

Edited by rolloman

One of the reasons I asked is because I thought I read somewhere that you can order your entire meal at once? It supposedly speeds up the process but you get all your food delivered at the same time?

Food comes from the kitchen 1 course at a time. You're a great candidate for the buffet even you said you did not like it We have dinner go to the shows and then partake in other activities with no problem.

Food comes from the kitchen 1 course at a time. You're a great candidate for the buffet even you said you did not like it We have dinner go to the shows and then partake in other activities with no problem.

Thanks, I am sure it will be okay. I am just a little concerned about all the posts talking about how awful the wait times are.

Thanks, I am sure it will be okay. I am just a little concerned about all the posts talking about how awful the wait times are.

Don't know about you rolloman, but the time between courses for me is extra drinking time!!

I notice you were in the U.S. Navy? Dry ships as opposed to the RN and RAN.

Edited by AVACTION

Don't know about you rolloman, but the time between courses for me is extra drinking time!!

I notice you were in the U.S. Navy? Dry ships as opposed to the RN and RAN.

Yes....lol.......maybe that is why I am accustomed to eating fast!

Being one of those regularly turfed out last from the MDR on MSC, I too find the OP a little hard to understand.

Reading between the lines it seems that Rolloman does not enjoy the dinnertime conversation of his own family. Perhaps split up between tables with other guests and/or join a larger table?

The dining experience is the highlight of an MSC cruise. Seven courses should not be rushed and much wine should be drunk. On second sitting, I would not expect to escape much before midnight and there is then just time for a nightcap or two before bed.

I would go further than Modes and say that if you want a fast dinner you are not a candidate for an MSC cruise.

I have not encountered any discussions complaining about the time it takes to dine but then I have been avoiding tha Divina threads. It must be cultural. Relax and appreciate old-fashioned, slow food.

First sitting is faster than second so I would choose that as a slightly quicker alternative.

I agree with my european cousins that an evening meal should be relaxed and savoured in great company. Our evening meals on all MSC sailings have been entertaining and we have often gone on to have a long and slightly boozy evening with our table mates.

If you feel that this kind of eating experience is not for you then the advice to have a table just for your party, request first seating and explain to the maître'd that you want as little delay as possible. It may well be the case that they cannot accommodate your request so be prepared for that and have a plan B (i.e. the buffet)

Certainly be aware that if your first evening meal takes two hours plus then that is the way of things and it will be the best you will get. An entire ship cannot change its process and set up for a few guests and they shouldn't have to. You know that this is the way they do things which is great as it won't come as a shock when it happens.

From my ipad

Understood and thanks for your reply, However, our table will only be family, and sitting for two hours in the dining room actually hinders ones ability to partake in other nightly activities.

Generally, I agree with Skipper Tim. But some ideas would be to not order all 7 courses. Tell your waiter that you prefer speedy service. (And thank him appropriately at the end of the cruise for the extra work). And I would agree that first seating tends to be faster.

Edited by jkgourmet

This is also I difficult one for me to advise on as I, like Tim, are usually one of the last ones to leave the MDR, sometimes to the point they starting switching lights off as a hint!

Dinner for me is the evening activity and meant to be savoured and enjoyed with great conversation and a lot of wine doesn't hurt either.

So if you don't want that, then all I can advise is

- go for first sitting as that is time Lund

-don't order from evey course (stick to 2 or 3)

- go for a table of 2 if you cN get it, if not share with fellow minded fast American eaters. Europeans will not thank you for rushing their evening meal.

Failing that go to the buffet. Picking a speciality restaurant instead is still going to be what you'd consider slow service.

Guess it is all comparative. Dinner in an hour or less would definitely not be good service to me.id be quite resentful at being rushed through courses and chased out the door. 2-3 hours is perfect for me. Each to their own.

Request a table for 2 that way you don't have to wait for everyone to finish a course before they bring out the next one. If there is a slow eater than that causes a delay.

I think that's a good advice. Request a table just for your family so that you won't have to wait for other slower eaters.

The pace will be dependant on the slowest eater at the table, since they will wait till the last person has finished a particular course before they bring out the next one. We never had to wait longer than five minutes for the next course after everyone was finished though.

If you don't plan to finish a course, put your silverware in a way that indicates to the waiter that you are done.

Certain deserts (Baked Alaska, Italian night) are brought in for everyone at the same time, so unless you plan to skip desert, you can't speed things up on these nights.

This is also I difficult one for me to advise on as I, like Tim, are usually one of the last ones to leave the MDR, sometimes to the point they starting switching lights off as a hint!

Exactly the same has happened to me. Engrossed in conversation, and wine, the lights flash a few times and at that point we have looked around to see we were the last table in the MDR. A look at my watch and it is "oh dear, midnight again" and wondering where the time went.

On the Armonia, I experimented by choosing 1st sitting. While I preferred the dining time, I much prefer the more relaxed, less-stressed ambience of 2nd. Second sitting also seems to attract those looking for a more conversation (and wine) -laden dining experience. If I have to finish at 4 in the morning, I will in future always choose 2nd.

So yes, for a faster meal, choose 1st sitting, have a pact with those you eat only to choose a limited number of courses and tell your waiter.

Aurea cabin 'my time' diners may get a faster experience.

It reminds me of school 'dinners' when my elder brother was allocated to the 'slow table'. This seemed no bad thing to me. Or, quoting Garfield, "remember to stop and eat the flowers along the way".

We had 4 cruises with MSC 2 Poesia we had no problem at all. We love it fast no more than 1.5 hour . BAck to back on Divina we had terrible waiter for first part, and very good and fast servie on second part on our cruise. Just tell your waiter you love fast dinner and if it's not helping ask Met."D to give you different table.

Thanks all....we do have first seating and we will have have 8 at our table. It sounds like I will not have an issue. I was just concerned because I read a couple reviews from trusted posters who labeled slow dining as their chief concern. I will post back after the cruise. Looking forward to this one.